Universal Basic Income

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

SoLongCeylon
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Universal Basic Income

Post by SoLongCeylon »

If Govt's decide to pay a UBI to its citizens, I wonder if the utter morons who have spent the past years claiming banks don't lend money - " its just digital numbers" and refusing to pay tax ( income or council etc ) will suddenly be believers in the wonders of these systems???? No doubt they will be the ones shouting loudest to receive " free money ".

However, the irony will be, that morons like O'Bonkers, Simon Goldberg, etc who have taken themselves out of the "system "
may get nothing. How clever they are.
JimUk1

Re: Universal Basic Income

Post by JimUk1 »

They will probably feel vindicated, without actually understanding that workers will probably see a rise in income tax further down the line.

Stupid Is as Stupid does.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Just seen one of the gobshites over on Crabbert's CTIU group has lost his job and has suddenly decided that The Social Security Act applies to him when he needs the illegal-tax-payer's money.

"Schadenfreude" is such a wonderful word isn't it? :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

It’s gonna be fun in the states. You have to have filed taxes to get your Trump check.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Jeffrey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 pm It’s gonna be fun in the states. You have to have filed taxes to get your Trump check.
Hope all will work out for the peeps state side. I’m sure he will see sense.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

longdog wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm Just seen one of the gobshites over on Crabbert's CTIU group has lost his job and has suddenly decided that The Social Security Act applies to him when he needs the illegal-tax-payer's money.

"Schadenfreude" is such a wonderful word isn't it? :mrgreen:
Well this is my gripe with these tax dodger w*****ks, not paying much is fine when the markets are good, but market forces alone don’t help you in a crisis.

I hope people like Ceylon are taking a massive personal hit in the wallet because he caused so many vulnerable people to fall on hard times!
longdog

Post by longdog »

I suspect the grifters are going to have a very hard time.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

They’ll see it as proof that money is created out of thin air, the fact we’ll be paying a massive debt for at least a generation will be beyond their comprehension.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I am getting beat every way from Tuesday.

I own a little more than a quarter million shares of Ford stock, which is most of my wealth. I'm down just about a million pounds there. I am paid very well in salary, but my main income for at least 6 years has been the dividend, which Ford just suspended.

So they're still rich white people problems, but it is going to require adjustments.

I won't get a Covid check, I made too much last year.
:violin:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Gregg wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:53 am I am getting beat every way from Tuesday.

I own a little more than a quarter million shares of Ford stock, which is most of my wealth. I'm down just about a million pounds there. I am paid very well in salary, but my main income for at least 6 years has been the dividend, which Ford just suspended.

So they're still rich white people problems, but it is going to require adjustments.

And people laughed at me when I bought up all those stock options in toilet paper, laughed me out of the park!

https://youtu.be/3w5D9yJUMOc
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Well you know what they say-- when your stocks are down, treat that as an opportunity to buy more so you'll get a bigger return when they go back up.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Gregg, a now deceased cousin of mine had a friend who became a millionaire by making toilet rolls - or had a toilet roll factory. My cousin had the gift of the gab and was reasonably well off with his own business venture(s) but certainly not a millionaire and he and the ex-friend drifted apart because they were living different lifestyles after his friend became very wealthy. I wish I had my late cousin's business acumen - I do things like a bit of typing from home (though my main client has dropped off these last few months) but that is really sub-contracting rather than running a business (which I'm not sure I want to do at my time of life). I don't begrudge people who have invested wisely their income however.

I know a couple of people who lost money in RailTrack when it was playing a part in the governance of British Rail. One was not badly off so it didn't affect him so badly apart from being annoying. The other was a small investor and she did feel the pinch.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

grixit wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:29 am

Well you know what they say-- when your stocks are down, treat that as an opportunity to buy more so you'll get a bigger return when they go back up.
If our free cash were not earmarked for the reconstruction of our house, we'd be buying like crazy.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'm gonna live. I won't even need a cat food meatloaf recipe.
That said, we've suspended all payments from the "Hookers and Blow" account for the duration.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

And I will put money in the markets when I've figured out how to keep the wiener dogs in pup Peroni
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

So, Gregg - I guess you guys are going to be making ventilators in short order. I think that would require a non-insignificant re-tooling.

Maybe adapt some old carburetor designs? Hey, close the fuel jets, remove the choke, and ship to ICUs.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

wserra wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 pm

So, Gregg - I guess you guys are going to be making ventilators in short order. I think that would require a non-insignificant re-tooling.

Maybe adapt some old carburetor designs? Hey, close the fuel jets, remove the choke, and ship to ICUs.
I had the dubious privilege of partaking in the 1982 South Atlantic contretemps and anyone who says “Don’t complain, you joined to fight wars” doesn’t understand the question. We joined to try and ensure that no one had to fight a war, it’s the politicians who don’t get it though.

By the end of it we had learned a few things:

We were in fact pretty well trained and not bad at what we did - we were pretty sure of that one anyway.

When the ordure hits the rotating device delegation occurs at an astounding rate. Matters normally dealt with at very senior level devolved upon the lowest ranking desk officers within a matter of days. What had required a fully staffed service paper was now dealt with by a single paragraph signal (telex) and confirmatory phone call.

Industry in the UK; and the USA for that matter; responded magnificently. In effect the engineers took over from the sales corporate sales, finance and legal departments. Given clear directives and properly specified requirements they designed and produced what was needed in an amazingly short time. I feel that industry never received proper recognition for this.

Individuals literally dropped everything to help. My father had been retired for 2 years when the phone rang. He listened, reached for his jacket and walked out the door, returning 7 weeks later. The intervening period he spent advising on the re-fitting of watertight doors to warships in dock for refit.

I am sure; I hope; that the same is happening now and people will rise to the challenge.

TheRambler

PS
An little appreciated fact; more time has now passed since the end of the Falklands War than between the end of World War 2 and the Falklands War.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Stop trying to make me feel old!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

wserra wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Actually there are two things. The little fans that go into the seat air conditioning can be used for ventilators. Those are vendor parts so it's not really us but Lear. I think it might be our patent. The other thing is we along with GM have more 3D printers for industrial production than anyone on earth. Those can be used to make parts for medical equipment with just a print e mailed over.
The metal parts require die makers to makes dies by hand so that might be a week. The companies that make them now might have backup dies but to scale production we need to make twenty where now exist two.
Mostly he's lying but the CEOs are covering for him because it makes us look good.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Deeper thoughts....

The metal dies, we mostly outsource that kind of small part stamping. Our presses make fenders not radio frames. Any number of shops have presses that can stamp district better and faster than us. But we can make the dies better and faster than anyone. That's work that can't be automated and has to be done by a skilled tradesman. Even the stamping we outsource we do still make and own the dies our self. And we are wicked good at replacing dies in a hurry.

On the 3D printing, we use it more to make parts for our machines when they break. It's quicker than ordering that part from Germany or China or where ever the machine was made and cheaper than maintaining inventory of whatever might break. But company wide we have thousands of the things some big enough to make full scale auto panels for prototypes. We'll really be able to help there I can see. Say the company that makes them has 2 printers and can make 40 parts a day. If they can send us the print we can make probably 2000 a day.

So I think our main contribution will be 3D printing and die craft service. I'd add we don't need his permission to do any of this.