"Redeeming Lawful Money"

If a word salad post claims that we need not pay taxes, it goes in the appropriate TP forum. If its author claims that laws don't apply to him/her, it goes in the appropriate Sov forum. Only otherwise unclassifiable word salad goes here.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: "Redeeming Lawful Money"

Post by wserra »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:If I recall correctly, Van Pelt used to say that it didn't matter whether any of his fantasy cases were dismissed or not, since the "suitor" wound up with an "evidence repository" in a real, gen-yoo-wine courthouse.
Yeah. After the Courts started dismissing his "libels of review", Van Pelt began with this. Heads I win, tails you lose.

But the really dumb part of this particular claim (as Observer and nd write) is the idea that an "evidence repository" does anything. The only thing that filing these (ahem) "documents" does is provide proof that they existed on the date they were filed. That's almost never an issue. It doesn't prove they're correctly drafted, doesn't prove they were served, doesn't prove they do anything. The real "evidence repository" is called a "file".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

But Wes--they're magic words on magic paper, and if you read them aloud while tossing salt over your left shoulder, the clerks will get ticked off and make you sweep it up!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

As pathetic as it is, it IS something Official and to their tiny little minds is some vindication that the whole thought process isn't just a deluded waste of time.

It's almost similar to "The International Star Registry" which for just $59.99 will record the name of YOUR STAR in BOOK FORM at the Library of Congress. Yes, sir, buddy, I got me a star named after me! Its recorded and official, you can look it up at the Li'berry of Congress!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:As pathetic as it is, it IS something Official and to their tiny little minds is some vindication that the whole thought process isn't just a deluded waste of time.

It's almost similar to "The International Star Registry" which for just $59.99 will record the name of YOUR STAR in BOOK FORM at the Library of Congress. Yes, sir, buddy, I got me a star named after me! Its recorded and official, you can look it up at the Li'berry of Congress!
Hey -- I'll name a star after you, or anyone else, and I'll only charge $10.00! Cross my heart and hope to die, it will be every bit as official as that there book in the L of C.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I want a galaxy named after me, a star just doesn't do it for me.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Gregg wrote:I want a galaxy named after me, a star just doesn't do it for me.
How about this: I'll name a galaxy after you, and then you can sue the galaxy for violation of your "copyright" in your name -- unauthorized use, or something.....

:whistle:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Paul

Post by Paul »

And I'll represent you in court, for a reasonable up-front cash payment. As soon as the ink on my law school diploma dries.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Paul wrote:And I'll represent you in court, for a reasonable up-front cash payment. As soon as the ink on my law school diploma dries.

By cash, of course you mean a warrant drawn upon my US Treasury Strawman Offset account, right? If not, how about a bond issued and backed by the leo Wanta Trust, countersigned by Jim Norman?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Why that'd be worth, not event he paper it was printed on, and Norman would be claiming someone stole it from him and begging for money before it was over with.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Today I happened to be sending some money to someone from this site and forgot my checkbook, so at the post office I bought a money order, stamp, etc....

Although I was sorely tempted to wrap cash in some tin foil, write "Redeemed Lawful Money" on the bills with a red marker and send it.
Last edited by Gregg on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

Gregg wrote:Today I happened to be sending some money to someone from this site and forgot my checkbook, so at the post office I bought a money order, stamp, etc....

Although I was sorely tempted to wrap cash in some tin foil, write "Redeemed Lawful Money" on the bills with a red marker and send it.
Red marker? You need to get a stamp so you can quickly and easy way to mark your paper money. From what I hear, that is how the pros (harvey and david) do it. Oh, and feel free to wrap some of those newly stamped bills in tin foil and mail them to me. I promise to make a hat out of the tin foil and send it back to you.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Perhaps motivated by intellectual masochism, I find myself wandering over to the Saving to Suckers forum to see if any examples of Great Legal Scholarship have been bestowed upon an eager public. Today, I found the answer to one question which has long puzzled me: what the %(^#$$**# does "redeeming lawful money" have to with one's tax liabilities. Courtesy of motla68, we now have the following:

Title 18 Section 8 defines a FRN as an "obligation of the United States."

Section 8. Obligation or other security of the United States defined

The term "obligation or other security of the United States" includes all bonds certificates
of indebtedness, national bank currency, Federal Reserve notes, Federal Reserve bank
notes, coupons, United States notes, Treasury notes, gold certificates, silver certificates,
fractional notes, certificates of deposit, bills, checks, or drafts for money, drawn by or
upon authorized officers of the United States, stamps and other representatives of value,
of whatever denomination, issued."

Title 31 Section 3124 states that "obligations of the United States are EXEMPT FROM
TAXATION BY A STATE."

"Section 3124. Exemption from taxation
(a) Stocks and obligations of the United States Government are exempt from taxation by
a State or political subdivision of a State. The exemption applies to each form of taxation
that would require the obligation, the interest on the obligation, or both, to be considered
in computing a tax.

I would try to poke holes in this contention, but I have to go wash my hair. Just to hazard a guess, I would imagine that, while the "obligations" themselves may not be taxed, the income you receive when you work and get paid for it is where the tax liability comes in. Since the cost basis for your labor is zero, you gain income by getting paid for the labor which you have performed; and whether you get paid in FRNs, rolls of quarters, bags of M&Ms or old baseball cards, you still gain income.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

I'm sure you're probably quite right since the salad master is infamous for taking definitions from one act and trying to bend them to fit another, I'm also fairly sure that Title 31 includes, that dangerous word, its definition for "obligations" as well, that the salad master carefully overlooked. Nice catch.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Wait a minute. The lawful money people have it all wrong. It's FRNs that are tax free, not lawful money.

FRNs are obligations of the US. Obligations of the US can not be taxed by a State or political subdivision of a State. The States never had the power to tax FRNs so they could not grant it to the federal govrnment. FRNs are tax free.

Alternative arguments: The term "state" can mean one of the 50 union StAteS or it can mean a nation. No nation can tax FRNs. FRNs are tax free.

The US is a corporation. Corporations are creatures of the states. A state's creature can not do what the state could not. FRNs are tax free.

I should write a book.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Actually, FRNs are tax free, at least in the same sense that magic beans are. But if you accept FRNs, magic beans or "redeemed lawful money" as a form of payment, then it becomes income. And income, in any form, is taxable provided it is not specifically excluded and rises above the level of exemptions.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Gregg wrote:Actually, FRNs are tax free, at least in the same sense that magic beans are. But if you accept FRNs, magic beans or "redeemed lawful money" as a form of payment, then it becomes income. And income, in any form, is taxable provided it is not specifically excluded and rises above the level of exemptions.
Damn, and I really thought I was onto something there. And if magic beans won't make me tax free, what good are they?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Quixote wrote:
Gregg wrote:Actually, FRNs are tax free, at least in the same sense that magic beans are. But if you accept FRNs, magic beans or "redeemed lawful money" as a form of payment, then it becomes income. And income, in any form, is taxable provided it is not specifically excluded and rises above the level of exemptions.
Damn, and I really thought I was onto something there. And if magic beans won't make me tax free, what good are they?
Well, they improved the net worth of the person who sold them to you.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

With reference to federal obligations that cannot be taxed by states or municipalities, under 31 USC § 3124: The section itself makes says that neither the obligation nor its interest is taxable. The US Supreme Court held that means that only interest-generating federal obligations are exempt from state taxes. Smith v. Davis (1944) 323 US 111, 89 L.Ed 107, 65 S.Ct 157.

Specifically, held that Federal Reserve Notes, being non-interest currency, do not fall into the category of federal obligations that are exempt, therefore FRNs can be taxed. Provenza v. Comptroller of the Treasury (1985) 64 Md.App 563, 497 A2d 831; Richey v. Indiana Dept of State Revenue (Ind.Tax Ct 1994) 634 NE2d 1375.

This matter had been complicated by earlier decisions that other forms of US currency, no longer in circulation, might be tax exempt.
notorial dissent

While it doesn't come right out and say it, Title 31 when it refers to "obligations" means obligations in the sense of securities, which bank notes and FRN's as in currency are not. It is nice to see the court decision comes out and clarifies that. It makes perfect sense if you read the section in context with the rest of the law, and can be construed to mean something totally different if taken out of context.
wserra

Post by wserra »

I updated the blog entry with the Lam dismissal and a couple of final observations about "evidence repositories". That's all I presently intend to do with it. I wrote it as a place to direct those who ask about "redeeming lawful money", and probably dealt with that particularly dumb subject in more detail than it deserves.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume