!!!JIM NORMAN INDICTED!!!

Stock and Bond Fraud, including Boiler Rooms / Pump and Dump Schemes, Mutual Fund & Hedge Fund Fraud, FOREX scams, plus Churning, Private Placements, Venture and Bridge Funding, IPOs, Viaticals Fraud, HYIP and Prime Bank scams, MTNs, Historical Notes, Recovery Schemes, etc. Includes the Jim Norman Project and the Michael Dotson Project and similar HYIP scams.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: !!!JIM NORMAN INDICTED!!!

Post by wserra »

wserra wrote:Norman is now alone, which is a double-edged sword. One one hand, he won't have to worry about codefendants damaging his case in defending themselves; on the other, he will have the jury's full attention.
An example of the former, from the sentencing memo of Norman's codefendant Noemie Dodakian (more specifically, a letter from her husband attached to the sentencing memo):
Because of her trusting nature, Noemie has been blind to the fact that Jim Norman and Robert Ingram programs were a scam, and did not realize that the people she dealt with on these programs were criminals.
There's considerably more like that.

The jury didn't buy her defense, but you don't need someone sitting next to you at defense table calling you (another phrase from the letter) an "evil mastermind".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
arklak

Post by arklak »

Hi everyone.

Did anyone ever got paid back anything? Was there a class action civil suit?

Did the FBI or the courts recover any funds from Jim, Emie or Wu that they can distribute to everyone? Can we or where would we submit a claim?

Thanks,

A
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

Since Jim's last waltz involved his defrauding his local C.U. For more than $500,000 via a bogus cashiers check and to my knowledge only c $39,000 was recovered . I doubt if there are any funds to distribute. There are people here who have more access than I , but I was involved the investigation that led to his exposure as an outright fraud. I wish there was something positive to ad in aid of recovering your loss. Perhaps someone else will post information in regard to Jim's journey through the legal system.
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
donzi1

Post by donzi1 »

Ran across an old CD of Jims.. Time Changes Times Change. Thought I would Google him
as I have not seen him since around 2001

He lived in the Distillery district of Toronto.
He rented a 2nd floor loft upstairs from the Canary Restaurant. This was a hangout for actors
filming in the area Tia Carrera of the Relic Hunter use to visit him...

Last time I saw him he had just bought a new Rolls Royce and was looking at houses in the Bridal Path.. Can't buy ANYTHING under a million there..

I was in awe of his loft, car, and everything. Thought he must make large playing on other artists CDs' Little did I know...Ed D from Toronto
wserra

Post by wserra »

Norman moved to take the depositions of four potential witnesses, three in Canada and one in the U.S. Unlike in civil cases, where they are routine, depositions in federal criminal cases are quite rare. Essentially, they are only permitted to a defendant when (1) the witness will be unavailable for trial, and (2) the witness will give exculpatory testimony. The Court ruled that Norman didn't show either, and therefore denied the motion.

The govt's opposition papers are more interesting than the decision. One of the witnesses whom Norman wished to depose was one John Bailey, whom I remember elfninosmom discussing in the (now gone) earlier Norman thread. It appears that deposing Bailey wouldn't have been such a great idea.
With regard to Bailey, who did accounting work for the defendant for a number of years, agents for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”), working with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, interviewed Bailey in July of this year. Based on Bailey’s statements during the interview, it appears that Bailey would in fact tend to inculpate Norman, not exculpate him. Among other things, Bailey told the FBI that he believed Norman’s investment program was a scam, and that he told Norman as much on several occasions, and that he did not view the company that Norman used to receive funds from investors as a real company with any assets or legitimate business activities. Bailey further stated that on one occasion, Norman had an investor wire thousands of dollars directly into Bailey’s bank account, without prior notice to Bailey, and Bailey then turned the money over to Norman. After the investor went to Canadian authorities, Bailey was arrested and required to pay the investor back, and despite promising to do so, Norman never reimbursed Bailey. Based on these statements, it is hard to imagine how Bailey’s testimony could serve to exculpate Norman.
Yes, it is.

Trial to begin here in Manhattan on January 22.
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

But Jimmy Boy always did tend to live in a purely fantasy world. So why should he stop now? Just because it would tend to sink his magical dingy even more quickly. Just think of all the character witnesses he could come up with to about the same end. The gov't might just let him go on and prove their case for them with out every having to do anything from their end. He really is a piece of work!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Norman was convicted on Thursday.

The wheels of justice grind slowly but . . .
- David Hume
notorial dissent

That was quick. They were still screwing around with Norman's BS motions and taking depositions in Dec. I'm surprised he didn't try to drag it out longer.

Will be a lot of people happy to hear that long awaited news.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Hummm so what was the final verdict ? I checked on the BOP, has no re-lease date!!
wserra

Post by wserra »

No release date because he hasn't been sentenced yet. Sentencing now scheduled for July 12, 2013.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

So one can safely assume, I hope, that he is sitting, unhappily, in a very uncomfortable cell some where loudy protesting his innocence and the injustice of it all, awaiting an infinitely longer prison sentence? Hope. Hope.

I personally would have thought they would have gotten to sentencing a lot sooner than July, but that's just me.
wserra

Post by wserra »

notorial dissent wrote:So one can safely assume, I hope, that he is sitting, unhappily, in a very uncomfortable cell some where loudy protesting his innocence and the injustice of it all
I can't speak to the "unhappily" and "uncomfortable" parts, but Norman is definitely incarcerated, and will stay that way for a while.
I personally would have thought they would have gotten to sentencing a lot sooner than July, but that's just me.
Most judges feel that, since he's not going anywhere, there's no particular rush. Six months between verdict and sentence is hardly uncommon.
- David Hume
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Okay thanks for the update,I don't mind the wait till July, as long as the wheel of Justice turns. I am just hoping that its longer then 7 years!
notorial dissent

If Norman is incarcerated, adn deprived of his "adoring public" it is a good bet he is unhappy. As to "uncomfortable" that is just my wishful thinking.

I guess I was just a bit surprised, as I am used to our hanging judges around here who barely wait for the ink to dry on the jury form before they sentence. In any event, he definitely has some "quiet time" coming as he has been a very badddd boy.
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

so does any one know what the final verdict was for old jim bo ?
KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by KickahaOta »

supergrover wrote:so does any one know what the final verdict was for old jim bo ?
If I'm pulling up the right PACER case, looks like a prison sentence of two hundred forty months, supervised release for three years afterwards, restitution of $1,731,805.34, and a money judgment of $2,197,637.04 .

Oh, and a $100 special assessment. Mustn't forget the special assessment.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent

Wonderful. Hopefully that finally puts paid to that particular scam artist. I wonder if there is any possibility of them actually getting any of the money he scammed back? I rather doubt it, but you never know.
wserra

Post by wserra »

That's the right case. Twenty years for a non-violent crime is quite a whack - not that Norman doesn't deserve every day.

I took a look at the govt sentencing memo to Judge Forrest. It is one of the nastiest govt sentencing presentations I've ever seen for a non-violent crime. It begins:
David “Jim” Norman is scheduled to be sentenced on Friday, July 12, 2013, at 10 a.m. This Court presided over the trial at which Norman was convicted by a jury, after a very brief period of deliberation, of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1349. At trial, extensive documentary evidence, including dozens of emails from Norman to his victims, as well as testimony from numerous witnesses, including Norman himself, established the large, multi-year scale of Norman’s advance fee fraud scheme; the truly egregious nature of his conduct, including his pernicious treatment of victims, whom he often defrauded repeatedly and attacked when they asked too many questions; his total lack of remorse; his willingness to lie on the witness stand in his own defense; and his continued commitment – even as the trial was ongoing – to carrying out the fraud against more and more victims. This memorandum sets forth the Government’s view of the applicable Guidelines range in this case – which, in light of the large loss amount and number of victims, his leadership role, and his obstruction of justice, calls for a sentence at the statutory maximum of 240 months’ imprisonment. This memorandum further explains why, in light of the factors set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a), a Guidelines sentence is warranted. Jim Norman is a master manipulator who inflicted serious harm on well more than a hundred victims, has failed to admit or accept responsibility for his criminal conduct, and is clearly a serious risk of reoffending upon his release.
And Judge Forrest then maxes him.

Bye, Jim.
- David Hume
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

He got two extra points for being a Canadian!

C. Norman’s Scheme Was Conducted from Outside the United States
The Probation Office increased Norman’s base offense level by two, pursuant to U.S.S.G. 2B1.1(b)(10)(B) and (C), because the offense was committed from outside the United States and because it involved sophisticated means. Norman does not dispute – nor can he – that the enhancement for committing the offense from outside the United States applies here, as Norman committed his fraud from Canada, and the evidence on that issue is uncontroverted.

Well, we won't miss him up here, keep him as long as you want.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs