ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Stock and Bond Fraud, including Boiler Rooms / Pump and Dump Schemes, Mutual Fund & Hedge Fund Fraud, FOREX scams, plus Churning, Private Placements, Venture and Bridge Funding, IPOs, Viaticals Fraud, HYIP and Prime Bank scams, MTNs, Historical Notes, Recovery Schemes, etc. Includes the Jim Norman Project and the Michael Dotson Project and similar HYIP scams.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Post by The Observer »

This-n-that:

(1)
Gregg wrote:Let me tell you about hiding assets.
I agree with Gregg 100%. Hiding assets is a relatively easy exercise - as long as you are smart about it. Yes, there are legal ways to do it, semi-legal ways to do it, and some illegal ways to do it. And it all comes down to how smart you are when you start doing it. The problem comes when you have to do it quickly and in large chunks - and it is even a bigger problem if it is illegal. It is even worse if you put those assets in the hand of shady characters. They might decide that running off with the assets that you worked so hard in converting into being untraceable are an easy haul.

Could Joel and Ed have converted their take from NASI into untraceable assets? It is possible, and I would not discount this as one explanation for where the money went. But I am speculating that this is not probable since they hung around until the bitter end instead of pocketing the last couple of months of buy-ins and simply heading for the border.

A forensic audit will focus on matching up the investments with the payouts and then looking to see where the remaining receipts went to. That means paying close attention to what was going into in Ed's and Joel's personal accounts, what went into their related business ventures, what was paid out for operating costs of NASI (including payroll and commissions), and what went to other sources that cannot be explained: wire transfers to other banks or brokers, purchases of investments, commodities or real estate, and any payouts to supposed investors that seem out of line with the rest of the payouts. This last one is important, in that if Ed and Joel were cunning enough to create a phony investor/investors as a bolt hole to do even more skimming, it would enable them to hold their loot as currency and be able to move it during the tenure of NASI. From there it would have simple to launder the money into accounts or assets overseas in the names of other phony principals, and moving the money to where it can not be recovered. Can you say cashier checks or gold ingots held in safety deposit boxes in the Channel Islands? I knew you could!

(2)
Tednewsom wrote:Lots of guys here dismiss the idea that old Ed and Joel could have hidden anything, since they clearly spent every dime of their scam paying back the Faithful.

Only because of their age and because they didn't run for the hills. If Ed and Joel were still in their 50's and took the dive, I would be looking real hard at the hidden asset possibilities. At that point, with a good attorney, they may only be looking at 3-5 years in terms of actual time served, with enough time left to enjoy their ill-gotten gains after they get out, sipping gin fizzes on some beach in Costa Rica.

But with the current situation, the only argument you can make is that they squirreled away the money for their families and are willing to die in prison so that their wives and kids will benefit. That makes Joel and Ed even more altruistic than you have me making them out to be. And I know you can't swallow that on, so this conclusion is even more unacceptable.

And then we are left with the last possible nutty conclusion: Ed and Joel were real smart until the last few months, and then forgot to run away so they could enjoy what they have put beyond the reach of anyone else.

None of those work. And so we are left with the one simple conclusion you won't accept: that they did this out of simple greed and simply did not plan on this scam folding before they died.

(3)
Tednewsom wrote:Just one example: Gillis's daughter owns a high-end Italian restaurant on Ventura Boulevard, along with her husband. I think Joel Gillis is actually on paper as one of the principals. It's been there two or three years now. Tell me that wasn't kickstarted with NAS funds.(And that, by extension, is an asset which can be foreclosed.)
This is actually a good example of a possible source of where NASI funds could have went. And it should be a fun exercise to talk about getting it "foreclosed" so that the victims can get some money back:

(a) A restaurant is a business that is very competitive, cash-intensive, and cash-hungry during the formation and start-up. Any successful restaurant needs to have sources of capital to back it up until it can develop a steady clientele. Most start-up restaurants fail during the first year of operation due to competition and mismanagement. So Gillis' daughter could have benefited from an constant infusion of cash from NASI to keep the doors open. And that doesn't mean that the restaurant is successful now by any means. It could still be a bleeder and Gillis might have paid the shortages so that his daughter and son-in-law could feel gainfully employed.

(b) But before the government can make a case that this restaurant was essentially an asset of NASI that can be used for recompense, it will have to prove that the money was coming directly from NASI. That means establishing a paper trail. That means showing that Gillis had equity in the business (being listed as a principal or officer; anyone can get listed on a Secretary of State filing without plowing any money into a business). That means showing that the relatives had no ability to put their own money into the business and had no experience in running a restaurant (essentially showing they were nominees of Gillis and figureheads). That means interviewing and deposing witnesses who can attest to how much of this was Gillis' idea, motivation and involvement.

And there are legitimate defenses that can and will complicate a "foreclosure" of the business. One of the biggest will be either Gillis proving that the money came from a source that was not related to NASI skimming or the daughter proving she put up her own money, again from sources that cannot be traced to NASI. If the business was successful on its own and the daughter can prove that the money was a legitimate loan that was paid back or being paid back, that might be another complication. But I don't want to rain down on the parade at this moment, so let's just say that the government is able to show that the business was an asset that belongs to NASI and the judge orders that the business be seized and sold.

(c) Remember that part about restaurants being notoriously competitive? Well, it really messes things up for a restaurant when it gets closed - since it isn't competitive anymore. You lost the clientele you had built up and it is really hard to get them to come back once you manage to get re-opened again. So that means whatever your business might have been worth if you could have sold it with the doors still open, it is going to be worth a lot less with the doors closed. Most bidders are not going to want to bid top dollar to take over a restaurant that has been shuttered and associated with a publicized criminal fraud - in fact a lot of potential bidders won't show up at all.

I know someone is going to say,"But what if the government kept the doors open and sold it as a turnkey operation?" Government does not do that sort of thing when it comes to seizures and sales. Number one issue is liability that might occur during the operation of a business for which the government would be responsible, as well as any lawsuits from the winning bidder who could come back and sue the government for ruining the business during the operation (especially if the business fails after the bidder takes over operations). That is why government sales are "as is."

So the bottom line here is if the government attempts to sell the restaurant as a going concern, it is going to be darn hard to do so. If it does it will be a pennies on the dollar sale. And we haven't even discussed about the equipment and property in the restaurant. What if it is leased? No equity there to recover. Is the restaurant land owned by someone else? Even less likely - and if it can be shown that Gillis owns it, then you need to establish if there is equity in the real estate or not. Too many questions here and all of it up to speculation. webhick put it best:
Not to mention that most restaurants - even the fancy ones - take years to turn a profit, so that restaurant isn't likely worth anything yet.
(4)
Tednewsom wrote:There's some current-news stuff about Madoff, BTW. He socked away hundreds of millions, and they're still finding stuff: Luxembourg, NYC, Switzerland, etc., etc. Apparently the investors stand a chance at recovering 30% of their investments.
Well, from what I have read, it is not money that Madoff socked away overseas, but pending lawsuits against overseas banks and investment firms that had put money into feeder funds that went to support Madoff's "investment" fund. So this is a case of going after deep pockets rather than going after money that Madoff stole and hoarded. 30% recovery from a Swiss bank? And heading for litigation? Probably a lot less than that once the lawyers get through.

(5)
And having worked for an investigator for several years and seen asset-hunters in action, it's not ALL that hard to figure out where it went.
And having worked in asset recovery for the last 27 years of my life (and that includes teaching and managing people in asset recovery where we have seized a variety of real and personal property), I can tell you that the hard part is recovering something that can be liquidated to show a profit. It doesn't take a lot to show where the money went. But you usually find that once the money "went" it hardly ever "comes" back.

Why? Because we live in a world where it is very easy to "own" things and pay for them over time. A world where it is easy to look important and flashy without much substance behind you. A world where you just have to say the right things to the right people who will turn their money over to you without a question. And a world where the prevailing philosophy seems to be "live for the moment" and not for the future. Throw in some reality, in that this country has evolved into a service-based economy, that most businesses do not own their inventory outright, and that the world is banking electronically. Money moves quickly, assets are typically encumbered, and the longer a debt is owed before asset recovery people get going, the less likely the asset will be worth recovering.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Tednewsom
Ponzinator Extraordinaire

Post by Tednewsom »

I get smarter every time I read more of this stuff.
...if Ed and Joel were cunning enough to create a phony investor/investors as a bolt hole to do even more skimming, it would enable them to hold their loot as currency and be able to move it during the tenure of NASI.
And I think that is the case, because that's pretty much what Gillis admitted-- obliquely.

A reminder of something Gillis said in print and privately any number of times: for every "ATM" contract a sucker bought, their money would buy an extra machine for the NAS partners. (Or two machines, if you want to use the $19.8K price.)

Assuming there's an element of truth in this (and noting that the machines themselves were fantasies anyway), it would mean both Gillis and Wishner made as much along the way as ALL of their investors. For every dollar any customer received, they each got a dollar. So the theory that all funds that went into NAS went out immediately as "profit payments" ignores the element of Gillis & Wishner as "investors." Yes, NAS paid out money as it came in-- but at least 1/3rd of it went right to the pockets of the prime "investors," Gillis & Wishner.

Unless their mattresses were continually stuffed with simoleons, I expect the wily old accountant and the fast-talking insurance salesman long ago figured out where to put their personal "ATM profits," as opposed to NASI's corporate money.
grimreaper
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by grimreaper »

Tednewsom wrote:I think we are speaking from opposite ends. I'm sure you're right, that most investors would not have squirrelled anything away, because they figured it was all on the up and up. Gregg, I believe, is referring to more clever and shifty people like Gillis and Wishner (although he uses his own genuine cleverness as an example). There is no end to the dodges and games one can do with assets if you know the roadmaps and the secret hiding places.

Just one example: Gillis's daughter owns a high-end Italian restaurant on Ventura Boulevard, along with her husband. I think Joel Gillis is actually on paper as one of the principals. It's been there two or three years now. Tell me that wasn't kickstarted with NAS funds.(And that, by extension, is an asset which can be foreclosed.)

There's some current-news stuff about Madoff, BTW. He socked away hundreds of millions, and they're still finding stuff: Luxembourg, NYC, Switzerland, etc., etc. Apparently the investors stand a chance at recovering 30% of their investments.

No, no, no, I'm not trying to say everybody's going to get all their money back from the NASI thieves. Of course not. But the two grifters were not total idiots... and as Gregg points out, it's not ALL that hard to hide money.

And having worked for an investigator for several years and seen asset-hunters in action, it's not ALL that hard to figure out where it went.
I have been of the opinion that any recovery for the net losers will come from the net winners. What ever Ed and Joel may have is going to be insignificant in comparison, so I'm not even addressing that issue here. I was only referring to the 2400 invesors with 30000 contracts who received HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IN DISTRIBUTIONS OVER THE 15 PLUS YEARS. I would imagine there are net winners to the tune of 75 Million or more. That's where they will go for recovery. Yes, they can find out where the money went as you pointed out....so HIDING it won't be easy. If the clawback comes and they tell the receiver they don't have the money, then they will be required to ACCOUNT for where it went. Hiding these things won't be easy.
snookered
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by snookered »

But, how far back can they go in regard to Clawbacks? Can they go back to the beginning of the scheme, or only to 2010?

I was of the impression that it was the latter.... Does anyone know?
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

Yes, four years, apparently.

But if I'm right-- that is, if Joel Gillis was telling something in the same zip code as the truth -- those boys were skimming a dollar for every dollar the investors made from Day One... and right up to the end.
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

snookered wrote:But, how far back can they go in regard to Clawbacks? Can they go back to the beginning of the scheme, or only to 2010?

I was of the impression that it was the latter.... Does anyone know?
The Ca statute of limitations is AT LEAST 4 years for the distributions determined to be profits and it *could* be 7 years from what I have read.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Folks, there are companies and their leadership that have done more damage to hundreds of thousands and even millions of completely innocent/ignorant people - far more damage than these two - and the perps in those cases have walked away with nothing more than admonishments, banning from being in the business any more and some comparatively insignificant fines. In fact, they dodged criminal prosecution completely.

You never know what they may be able to give up to dodge a bullet.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

Yes, yes, quite so. Now those faced with the question may need to ask: given the certainty of mounting a prima facea case against Gillis & Wishner and sending them to prison for their crimes... or cutting a favorable deal with them where they reveal the locations of enough funds to at least make substantial paybacks to net-losers... which would you choose? :thinking:
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

There aren't going to be any substantial paybacks to net losers, I'll be shocked if it takes less than two years and amounts to 10%. Seen this show before.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Tednewsom wrote:Yes, yes, quite so. Now those faced with the question may need to ask: given the certainty of mounting a prima facea case against Gillis & Wishner and sending them to prison for their crimes... or cutting a favorable deal with them where they reveal the locations of enough funds to at least make substantial paybacks to net-losers... which would you choose? :thinking:

How about "Blame the victim for $500, Alex?"
The Associated Press is reporting that Zeek Rewards operator Paul R. Burks claims that he is not at fault and that Zeek participants are to blame if they lost money.

From the AP (via Yahoo News/italics added):

“I never told anyone to invest more money than they could afford,” Burks snapped. “I didn’t tell them to do that. Never.”

He said if they lost money, “it’s their fault. Not mine. Don’t blame me.”
http://patrickpretty.com/2013/03/30/ap- ... zi-scheme/
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Ponzi-board hucksters have promoted numerous Internet-aided scams. AdSurfDaily, a $119 million Ponzi scheme opearting from Florida, had a presence on the boards. So did Legisi, a $72 million Ponzi scheme operating from Michigan. So did Pathway to Prosperity, a $70 million scam alleged to have penetrated 120 countries. So did Imperia Invest IBC, a shadowy entity that stole millions of dollars by targeting people with hearing impairments.

The most recent Ponzi-board scam to make major news is
Profitable Sunrise
, another shadowy entity purportedly operated by “Roman Novak.” Profitable Sunrise purported to pay interest of 2.7 percent a day through its bizarrely named “Long Haul” plan targeted at Christians. Members were due a purported “Easter gift” on Monday, April Fool’s Day.

The Profitable Sunrise website has been missing for more than two weeks. At least 34 U.S. states or provinces in Canada have issued Investor Alerts or cease-and-desist orders against Profitable Sunrise. The United Kingdom and New Zealand also have issued warnings.

Research shows that Profitable Sunrise had members in common with ASD and Zeek.
Wanna know what all these scams have in common? Major promoters, identity known, who made tens of millions of dollars, on US soil, who haven't even been asked if they'd like to give any of the stolen money back. Nanci Jo Frazer does face related securities charges in a county court, but in the end her problems are going to be tied to her claiming payments by her downline were tax deductible because she was a 591(3) C charity when it wasn't. I'm betting she walks on the (civil) securities charges.

Its not a perfect world, victims getting refunds is extremely rare but doesn't seem like it sometimes because when it does happen, its widely reported but when they end up with bupkis, well. not a good headline, you know?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I have to agree with Gregg on most of this, two years is about the usual time span on getting it all wrapped up, unfortunately, I think 10% is probably generous and overly optimistic, based on what I can see of the corpus at the moment. I would like to/have to see some real figures to actually even make a stab at it, but based on cleanups I have worked, the prognosis isn't good. Prosecution in something like this is always pretty much of a crapshoot, guess which side usually loses.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

To add to the wonderfuful news that Gregg and ND have. What happens if they do find some and can't get it without a huge hassle. Say they find $40 million stashed somewhere we don't have treaties with. Gillis and Wishner offer up $15 mill of that. Do you think the receiver will pass it up? I doubt it. The amount doesn't matter. If it's somewhere close to impossible to recover and the receiver gets an offer he'll probably take it. Better to recover something then nothing.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

Gregg wrote:
Tednewsom wrote:Yes, yes, quite so. Now those faced with the question may need to ask: given the certainty of mounting a prima facea case against Gillis & Wishner and sending them to prison for their crimes... or cutting a favorable deal with them where they reveal the locations of enough funds to at least make substantial paybacks to net-losers... which would you choose? :thinking:
How about "Blame the victim for $500, Alex?"
Aww, quite unfair. Given the choice of juicy revenge against these guys, and the relief of getting at least a little bit of the stolen money back, I think most people would choose the latter. And I'm sure part of the deal would be Gillis & Wishner publically wailing and beating their breasts in penance, expressing their eternal sorrow and hoping for joy on Earth. Of course, both a cash payback and hard time for them, all in a big package, would be twice as good.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Gillis & Wishner don't have the money to give back, its gone and its probably not coming back, certainly not because of anything they do.
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

I've always felt gambling was idiotic. Life is enough of a gamble. I don't trust dice, or cards, or chance, or lottery systems. Or sharpies promising a 20% return if I hand them my money. So I limit my wagers to sure things.

Now, given that we won't have an answer for 6 months to two years...

100 bucks says you're wrong, Gregg. Bet?
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'll bet you a hundred quatloo that you don't get 10%, and I doubt the money they get from NASI, Gillis & Wishner does much more than covering the costs of the receiver.
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

Well, that won't work. I'll never get a dime, since I wasn't... ummm... let's say... "naively enthusiastic" enough to let a couple of jamokes play with my dough for six years then pay me off with money stolen from someone else.

(Perhaps you've mistaken me for an overly-optimistic net-loser who hopes he can magically get his losses back. Not me. Just sizing up the situation-- this one, based on what we know, not previous scams by others who were never caught. And remember, these crooks were making dough from Day One, essentially handing themselves one share for every share they sold, for 19 years, without the bother of risking a dime of their own money. Trying to get money out of NASI is like suing the three walnut shells in a shell game for robbing you. It was always only a device, not a bank.)
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Lost Income »

Joel & Ed know where the money went and exactly what is recoverable now, so the faster the SEC can get them to tell the faster this will be over. Simple!!
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Lost Income wrote:Joel & Ed know where the money went and exactly what is recoverable now, so the faster the SEC can get them to tell the faster this will be over. Simple!!
Not simple. First, since the accounting at NASI was poor and fake, it will be hard for Ed and Joel to demonstrate where the money went. Yes, they will have some idea where they spent the money, but not to the point to where you can determine where each and every penny was spent. That is why a forensic accounting is needed and that takes time. If NASI actually kept an accurate set of books, this would be a far easier task. But that is highly doubtful, and I am sure that if Ed and/or Joel squirreled away some money for the family, they are not going to reveal it if they believe that it will go undetected.

And as pointed out before, these situations take up to two years before the dust settles and the corpse is buried. There are hundreds of these Ponzi scams running every year and the justice system can only spend so much time on each before moving on to the next. It is a natural human reaction as a victim to expect justice now, but that is not the reality of it. And it is hard for victims to move on from the denial stage to the acceptance stage that their money is gone and little, if any, is coming back.

In other words, there is no cash hoard out there that Joel and Ed are sitting on that will magically repay all of the victims in this scam. And if there is some amount of money out there, it will be impossible or next to it to recover it. There might be a chance at pursuing assets that Ed and Joel purchased for which a nexus exists showing that the money came from victims' money, but in the end, that recovery will result in pennies on the dollar.

And for those waiting for clawbacks to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, again at best, this will result in only a small fraction of return, despite the repeated claims those who claim to be in the know about the big "winners" and how much money they reaped from this scam. Yet when you press these people for actual facts, dates, locations and names about these individuals that should be focused on for clawbacks, they suddenly clam up and refuse to divulge this vital information - in other words they are apparently protecting the "winners" at the expense of the real victims. So try to guess how much recovery will be coming from clawbacks? If you said "little to nothing" you would be correct.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff