ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Stock and Bond Fraud, including Boiler Rooms / Pump and Dump Schemes, Mutual Fund & Hedge Fund Fraud, FOREX scams, plus Churning, Private Placements, Venture and Bridge Funding, IPOs, Viaticals Fraud, HYIP and Prime Bank scams, MTNs, Historical Notes, Recovery Schemes, etc. Includes the Jim Norman Project and the Michael Dotson Project and similar HYIP scams.
grimreaper
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?c

Post by grimreaper »

10 year investor wrote:Assuming 31,000 machines have been sold and assuming half those have been sold in the last 5 years which might be high, I estimate it will take $100 million for the newer investors to recoup their principal. Anyone longer than that already has. I'm still thinking the company is generating around $40 million a year in real revenue so it seems there's a shot the newer ones will get principal back assuming the receiver can keep it going for 2 plus years. That's the danger if contracts expire and the operation doesn't run well because the principals are gone. They still need Joel and Ed to help them do that and hopefully they will make sure it happens. Their continued cooperation is key and they're certainly motivated to minimize losses.

Totally agree on people paying back any profits if necessary with one caveat. People received 1099's and paid taxes on the income. Probably around 20-30%. It wouldn't be fair to make newer investors whole at the expense of those who would end up taking a hit because of taxes paid on the income because it's not really income now. If someone put in $1 mil and got back $1.2 mil but paid $200k in taxes, they shouldn't have to forfeit $200k to make others even as that would put them down $200k. I don't know the tax rules but I doubt you can go back 5 to 19 years and file amended returns.
They were never generating that much income. Currently, they aren't *generating* any income, since they've been shut down. Someone here can chime in if that's not the case. As far as taxes, the Feds don't *care* about that matter. That's something the investors have to handle on their own..and there IS some recourse to adjust for taxes as well as any monies clawed back.
Also, keep in mind they also took DEPRECIATION on phantom ATMS, so to some extent, that could cancel any taxes paid. This is all very complicated and will require experts hired by investors to sort out.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?c

Post by webhick »

grimreaper wrote:They were never generating that much income. Currently, they aren't *generating* any income, since they've been shut down. Someone here can chime in if that's not the case.
While technically right - the company is not generating any income - the receivership has managed to keep all but two ATM's running, so the receivership is earning between $90 and $150 per month (per the receiver's first report).
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Re: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Post by Lost Income »

This has all been great speculation, however there are too many factors to estimate what the outcome of this mess should be. Currently the Receiver hasn't got squat to give back to investors, and so now they are hoping for some clawback money which could easily be a long fruitless fight with attorneys. Meantime there is no news about Ed & Joel's families planning to suffer any financial hardships.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Lost Income wrote:Meantime there is no news about Ed & Joel's families planning to suffer any financial hardships.
Nor is there any news about Joel and Ed's families planning to take big fancy trips, purchasing expensive automobiles, big-ticket jewelry or buying blue-chip stocks. They may have done those things in the past. We just have no idea how the Wishners and Greys are supporting themselves now. It is a question that the receiver should have asked at some time.
Tednewsom wrote:worried's meticulous (if necessarily simplified) spreadsheet two pages back calculates the total skim to be $36,500,000.
Which is based on speculation. It's a model, not based on what factually happened, but what could be one result of many different options.
Tednewsom wrote:Are we to assume that two successful con men were simply too old and tired to continue? And that they both agreed simultaneously that the jig was up and there's no use fighting it? Nah. Makes no sense.

Of course it makes sense. They are old men, this had been running for 19 years and they hit a brick wall in attracting new investors - a brick wall, I might add, that you started erecting 5 years ago that probably started Ed and Joel down that dead end. What else could they do?
Tednewsom wrote:why stretch the game out past the point of usefulness? Why knock yourself out for years and be content with a modestly affluent lifestyle? And where did all their dough vanish?
Did they have a modestly affluent lifestyle? I have seen no reports from the receiver's report that shows what Ed and Joel did with the money that they skimmed - other than the Fuel Doctor and Oasis investments. As I pointed out before, Ed and Joel may have spent a quite a bit of money on things that could never be traced or recovered. That interview above was done poolside at the Four Seasons in Hawaii. Perhaps Joel has blown a lot of that money on trips - I doubt that he moonlighted as a waiter and paid for the rooms at the Four Season out of his tips. And Joel/Ed may have spent quite a bit of money on other things that don't retain or create equity. And until there is a definite link made between known assets owned by the Wishners or the Greys and that money from NAS went towards paying for those assets, we are simply making wild-ass guesses.

You keep thinking that the only thing you can do with money is put it into financial purchases or physical purchases. The truth is that there is a great deal of wasteful things out there that people are all too willing to sell you that result in you having anything than a pleasant memory about. But tell you what, there is one thing that may have some value, if they haven't already booted Joel out, and that is the membership at the yacht club in Marina Del Rey.
Tednewsom wrote: don't think I ever used the word "idiots," did I? I truly can't recall. Crooks, yes. Con men, grifters, thieves, criminals, embezzlers, yeah, a number of times. Maybe even jerkwads, heartless bastards, no-good sons-of-bitches, depending on the phase of the Moon. But not idiots. I don't think.

No, they weren't damned fools,...
But they would have had to been damned fools for them to have stashed a ton of money away and then to sit meekly by and face a sentence in jail that may result in them dying there.
Wishner and Gillis did not (again, as far as anyone has found) live the life of royalty and conspicuous consumption. They lived well, but not overly extravagantly.
What are you basing this on? I have yet to see one thing that demonstrates even one thing about how the Wishners and the Greys lived.
Tednewsom wrote:I suppose we can dismiss this and surmise that they were both so altruistic and concerned about their customers that they started dipping into their own ill-gotten gains and paying out the monthly dividends from their own pockets, for the sheer pleasure of keeping their leaky boat afloat.
Why not? You are assuming that they kept this thing going for 19 years, stashing tons of money aside and then going off to jail so that their kids and grandkids can enjoy the fruits of their labor while they die in prison. That is pretty altruistic as well. But Joel, at least from the few anecdotes I have read about him doesn't seem to be the person whose picture you will find in the dictionary next to the definition of "altruistic." Just a hunch on my part.

But in light of that, the middle ground suggests it could just be that Ed and Joel knew that they had a chance to keep this scam going on for a long time if they didn't get too greedy and kept the boat above the waterline as much as possible. That meant funneling most of the money back to the marks, even if it meant having to buy out the wiseacres who were getting suspicious, if not already in the know, about the invisible ATMs. They could skim enough money that would allow them live comfortably, take some nice trips, own a classy auto, keep the wife happy with a new diamond bauble, and get the grand kids into a good private school or university. And hey, once Ed and Joel went to that Big Griftpalace in the Sky, well the whole NAS scam would collapse. But it wouldn't be their problem to worry about anymore.

Of course, they forgot to plan for that non-investor who started asking penetrating questions on Quatloos...
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Tednewsom
Ponzinator Extraordinaire

Post by Tednewsom »

Dat li'l debbil. It's all his fault. Everything would be just fine if only -- :evil:
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Lost Income »

Again, this is all good speculation. In the real world....NAS now just looks like another failed 19 year old business, Joel, Ed, and their families can still afford their home and life in California (which many working people can't afford), and little if any of the scam money will be returned to investors after the Receiver is done paying himself.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Lost Income wrote:Again, this is all good speculation. In the real world....NAS now just looks like another failed 19 year old business, Joel, Ed, and their families can still afford their home and life in California (which many working people can't afford), and little if any of the scam money will be returned to investors after the Receiver is done paying himself.
The receiver doesn't pay himself, he is paid by the court, out of funds he recovered and if that's not enough, from government, taxpayer dollars. And most of the time, that is what happens, the taxpayer ends up paying at least some of the bill.

And a lot of the players in the ponzi-HYIP-scam world make a big deal out of it, saying, if not outright then by implication, that "the government only shut it down so they could take all the money, it wasn't really a scam, they even had $XXX dollars in the bank" Sometimes, $XXX is an impressive sounding number. You usually assume that any rinky dink online investment company with $47 million in cash can't be a scam, hell, look how much money they had. This of course clouds the fact that the scam with $47 million (a real number from a real scam) in the bank had at the time $3 billion plus in deferred liabilities, a number that grew at 1% each day (another real number, same scam, do the math yourself and figure out how much 1% daily compounded works out to in a few weeks)

Dismantling a ponzi scheme isn't a glamorous job, you get hate from the believers, the victims, financial institutions with varying levels of legitimacy, vendors and of course the "he's just racking up the bills so nobody will ever get anything back" people.

But still, with all that, it has to be done and since large amounts of money and complicated financial and legal issues are involved, it's not something you can farm out to Kelly Girl type agencies, you need a fairly large law firm, just to handle the volume of work, a pretty good sized accounting firm, ditto, usually outside council to handle the actual litigation or litigation in other jurisdictions. Who would you have do it, and would you have them do it cheap? Like I said, this isn't the kind of thing you call Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman about, really. I would guess a firm with 30 or so attorneys would be the minimum size outfit you're looking for. They also don't get paid in the manner they're used to, and I'm willing to bet they
re working cheaper than they do for private clients at least some of the time.

I invite some of the lawyers here to chime in on this, and they may not agree, but from here at the Well Armed Bunker Complex it looks like the typical court appointed scam receiver is well worth every dime they get paid, whether the victims get a dime back or not.

NASI is not typical of the scams I'm most familiar with, while there are going to be some insiders most of the HYIP or other internet scams I keep up with involve a cast of hundreds of so called victims who have been on the lists of winners and losers in more than a few scams that, to put it mildly, your average dog should be able to see is fishy. I don't have a lot of compassion for the guys that may have lost $50K in Zeek and is awaiting his refund, when looking a little deeper you see him bragging how much he's made in 5 other scams not shut down by authorities and shows up on the net winners list more often than occasionally on the ones that do.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
worried
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by worried »

grimreaper wrote:
It was 'belief' that got 2400 victims into this mess.... anytime in life you hear yourself say
"I believe", you should think to yourself "be careful"... because, unfortunately, belief often leads to unjustified certainty... and such certainties are the root of a lot of evils in this world...
In the end...none of us know the ratio at this point do we? Your opinion and *model* is also a *belief* isn't it? You seem convinced the MAX ratio of winners:losers is 1:5..that's a belief.
I believe somewhere between 3:5 and 1:1 is the case. We have taken our positions and now we just have to wait it out until the receiver reveals the true picture.
A *model* is NOT a belief. Neither is an opinion. The opinion I have stated is based on a *model* which is based on facts AND some reasonable assumptions. My opinion also apparently is shared by one or two other people who apparently have seen a bunch of these things.... a belief, by definition, is NOT based on facts... You really should, for your own benefit, study and consider the difference... Sure, sometimes the word belief is used sometimes in PLACE of opinion, but they're not really the same...
If you have to "Believe" something, that means you can't prove that it's true... please, for your own sake, speak and act accordingly...
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

worried wrote: Sure, sometimes the word belief is used sometimes in PLACE of opinion, but they're not really the same...
LOL...so one can have an opinion...but not this isn't a belief as well? My entire take on this matter is indeed my *OPINION* as well!

From the dictionary>>
o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint

Ok, lets let's put this matter behind us. I think we both know what we're trying to say here.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

But, me and a early cave man both have opinions of the makeup of the moon, sun, solar system and stars in the sky. One is more informed than the other and has a lot more information to base their opinion on, but, as neither of us has actually gone there, both views are just our opinions.

One of us might be more or less right, and one of us might think the gods are playing games in the nighttime sky. One might even think a ponzi scheme can end up with 1:1 victim ration :haha:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
webhick

Post by webhick »

So I dumped the details of the receiver's first billing into Excel. Because I'm too sick to do anything complicated. Suck it. Over five hundred entries and I pulled out the following information:
  1. Review NASI emails regarding owning shares to Facebook.
  2. Review list of emails re new entity formed by NASI and other investments.
  3. Discussion with counsel re: obtaining DMV records for OASIS vehicles.
  4. Review letter from Hilton Franchise regarding master agreement and agreements with Hilton Hotel sites.
  5. Attempt to locate Crowne Plaza Englewood location agreement (.3); File and box copies of location agreements (1.0).
  6. Conference call with manager from El Conquistador Resort regarding commission payments (.2); Conference call with manager from El San Juan Hotel and Resort regarding commission payments (.2); and Conference call with manager from Doubletree Seattle regarding commission payments (.2).
  7. Conference call with an accountant from Embassy Pittsburgh in regards to commission checks (.2); and Conference call with managers from Embassy Suites Cleveland, Peakview Tower, and Wyndham Costa Mesa (.3).
  8. Teleconference with collection agency Prince Parker re: outstanding AT&T invoice (.4); and Review and process Integrated Telemanagement Services, Inc. invoices and update document log (.5).
  9. Conference call with manager from Embassy Suites Minneapolis regarding commission checks (.2); and Conference call with an accountant at the Holiday Inn Torrance in regards to NSF payments (.3).
  10. Conference call with GMs' at the Waldorf Astoria, Embassy Suites Denver Airport, and Dearborn Inn.
  11. Conference call with controller at Embassy Suites Del Mar Beach Resort (.3)
  12. Meeting (Chicago) with Sharon Weiss re: L.A. investors calling her (1.3).
  13. Emailed Dr. Karlsberg list and comments.
  14. Bind together documents from First Abby Corp and Timmy Woods in reference to their subpoenas.
  15. Review entity formation documents, state filings, tax returns and other documents from 1998-2004 (1.8); and Research entity status for 10 entities and affiliated persons and entities with CA, NV, UT, TX and CO Secr. of State (2.6).
  16. Research suspected Oasis affiliated entity “King Kong Productions Vehicles, Inc.”
  17. Research Charles Gillis’ firm and address for potential subpoena (.4); Research new Oasis address in Houston, TX (.3);
Those items just stood out to me. Probably missed some things. Those parenthesis with numbers in them are part of the billing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't help but wonder if this NASI thing isn't quite as simple as we thought. Instead of just a few affiliates, we may have a web of affiliates branching out from the Oasis companies. I'm beginning to think that they funneled money through Oasis into affiliates to "hide" or reinvest it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
worried
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by worried »

wow.. nice work... I skimmed that stuff myself but didn't have the patience to do what you just did... you know, if you add the 'limiting' of sales curve at the end of my silly model but also increase the exponent to match some of the other numbers we've seen/heard about the scheme, you end up with MUCH more 'total skim' at the end (this exercise answers grimreaper's challenge that my model doesn't model the tail-off of sales at the end AND match the last 15 months worth of sales). PLUS... there is STILL a BUNCH of money still in the bank (unskimmed).... to the tune of $150M skim and something comparable left in the bank.... it's still just a simple model using a fixed set of assumptions that may be far from the truth, but it's still interesting to think about along with what webhick has pointed out...
If you have to "Believe" something, that means you can't prove that it's true... please, for your own sake, speak and act accordingly...
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

webhick wrote: I'm beginning to think that they funneled money through Oasis into affiliates to "hide" or reinvest it.
Hmmmm. Ya think? :thinking:

Great work. That breakdown adds a lot of facts, and trebles the amount of questions.
worried
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by worried »

It occurred to me that a possibly significant hole in my model is the reduction of the balance in the bank due to people asking to cash out... That could increase the number 'winners' subject to clawback, right? Especially if they cashed out anytime within the last 7 years? Wonder how many people that is and how many contracts... There was at least one poster on this forum (Boardwalk John) that stated flat out that this forum woke him up enough to cash out, how many more are there?.... can't wait to see the report...
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

worried wrote:It occurred to me that a possibly significant hole in my model is the reduction of the balance in the bank due to people asking to cash out... That could increase the number 'winners' subject to clawback, right? Especially if they cashed out anytime within the last 7 years? Wonder how many people that is and how many contracts... There was at least one poster on this forum (Boardwalk John) that stated flat out that this forum woke him up enough to cash out, how many more are there?.... can't wait to see the report...
It's a zero sum game, so if any winner cashed out he may NOT use that ATM contract investment to offset distributions in the determination of profits, ie, he can no longer declare it as principal. I assume any *refunds/buy backs* are not considered *distributions* either.
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

worried wrote: PLUS... there is STILL a BUNCH of money still in the bank (unskimmed).... to the tune of $150M skim and something comparable left in the bank......
Now there's a WHOPPING assumption! :roll:
webhick

Post by webhick »

worried wrote:It occurred to me that a possibly significant hole in my model is the reduction of the balance in the bank due to people asking to cash out... That could increase the number 'winners' subject to clawback, right? Especially if they cashed out anytime within the last 7 years? Wonder how many people that is and how many contracts... There was at least one poster on this forum (Boardwalk John) that stated flat out that this forum woke him up enough to cash out, how many more are there?.... can't wait to see the report...
It also doesn't factor in those who financed their investment through NASI.
worried
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by worried »

I'm having a hard time understanding how Joel would make any money 'financing' fake ATM's...
Tednewsom

Post by Tednewsom »

How about this: he aims the prospective customer to the right loan company and never bothers with loaning out a dime. He takes a small cut for all the business he's exclusively sending the guy, and everybody wins except the investor.

(If you wanted to buy one of their invisible ATMs, you had to go through their recommended loan guy. Yes, you could find somewhere else that'd give you better loan rates, but Mr. Gillis didn't want to go through the hassle of breaking in a new dealer. You want the can't lose machine? You play it our way. You don't? See you later.)
worried
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by worried »

That's how I thought it worked... So, is the lender subject to clawback?