ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Stock and Bond Fraud, including Boiler Rooms / Pump and Dump Schemes, Mutual Fund & Hedge Fund Fraud, FOREX scams, plus Churning, Private Placements, Venture and Bridge Funding, IPOs, Viaticals Fraud, HYIP and Prime Bank scams, MTNs, Historical Notes, Recovery Schemes, etc. Includes the Jim Norman Project and the Michael Dotson Project and similar HYIP scams.
Nationwideinvestor
Swabby
Swabby

Re: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Post by Nationwideinvestor »

grimreaper wrote:Involuntary Bankruptcy has already been filed as of the 19th. That information was posted here on the forum recently. This could in be *conflict* with the SEC's agenda, but there have been cases where the BK and SEC have worked in a coordinated effort. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. SEC could block the BK effort as well.

Are you sure about that. It seems that BK takes precedent but if SEC is first involuntary bankruptcy can be blocked. We have not found an expert who is sure.
grimreaper
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

R e: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Post by grimreaper »

Thanks for info.
Bottom line.. there are no assets, The CLAWBACK from those that profited will be the only source of funds to compensate those recent investors who lost money in this. It's not that *complicated*...this is small change compared to larger Ponzi schemes. I'm going to estimate (READ>>>SPECULATION) the losses are $50-$85 Million for RECENT (less than 5 years) investors and that will be the clawback distributed over all those that have net profits. It won't be that difficult to identify those who have lost money vs those who hold profits. They don't need to go back more than 5 years or so, since the statute of limitations is between 4-6 years in most states. Turns out that +/- 5 years is the break even for these contracts. Those that have had contracts for more than 5 years will have to forfeit distributions over the last 4-5 years, I don't think that fact has sunk in yet.
Bankruptcy will take back seat to SEC receivership....but we'll have to see.
Nationwideinvestor
Swabby
Swabby

Re: R e: ATM LEASEBACK SCHEMES-- any insight?

Post by Nationwideinvestor »

grimreaper wrote:Thanks for info.
Bottom line.. there are no assets, The CLAWBACK from those that profited will be the only source of funds to compensate those recent investors who lost money in this. It's not that *complicated*...this is small change compared to larger Ponzi schemes. I'm going to estimate (READ>>>SPECULATION) the losses are $50-$85 Million for RECENT (less than 5 years) investors and that will be the clawback distributed over all those that have net profits. It won't be that difficult to identify those who have lost money vs those who hold profits. They don't need to go back more than 5 years or so, since the statute of limitations is between 4-6 years in most states. Turns out that +/- 5 years is the break even for these contracts. Those that have had contracts for more than 5 years will have to forfeit distributions over the last 4-5 years, I don't think that fact has sunk in yet.
Bankruptcy will take back seat to SEC receivership....but we'll have to see.
Most of the consultants have confirmed that the bank and IRA certifying may be the deep pockets and they will need to be the focus of the repayment to "losers". the argument will be the volume and character of the bank activity should have caught the attention of the regulators. Backward calculations suggest there will not be substantial funds available from Claw back in this case but all of this is speculation. Personal assets will be part of the plea and hidden assets will be hard to find. Finally on what basis can you confirm bankruptcy takes a back seat to SEC if the bankruptcy is filed first. The reverse is true, that once SEC files, involuntary bankruptcy is prohibited. Please site the source ?
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Can someone explain the difference in powers and advantages and disadvantages of SEC vs. Bankruptcy?
Well, in regards to clawbacks (which I don't think will be to significant in this case for a lot of reasons, but I could be wrong), if the case is handled by the government as a criminal matter, the threshold for these payments can go back as far as the statute of limitations, which is years. In a bankruptcy, clawbacks per se don't apply, although the Bankruptcy court can and will demand payment back of fraudulent transfers, but that only applies to transactions within a certain time limit which can be as little as 90 days. To me, this is the biggest problem of a private group banding together, the assets still get divvied up, but the lawyers get a much bigger chunk of it (I think its like a contingency case where they'd take 1/3) and the money taken from the net winners is first, taken only from very recent net winners, and second, can be opposed by those net winners in procedures that further drain the monies returned to victims.

And here we are again at "forming a group of informed investors to take control of the situation rather than leaving it up to government agencies" thing. Its possible they have the purest of intentions, and of course most of the participants are sincere in their intentions, but the initial motivating factor often turns out to be small groups of people who's interest lies in protecting the net winners at the expense of victims. Google my buddy Frank Craddock of Zeek fame for a good illustration of how that sometimes turns out, or better yet, Google convicted felon Bob Guenther and the ASDMBA to see how bad they can go. All other things being equal, the only way I'd want to force as bankruptcy would be if I had been taking out large sums for years. Because a bankruptcy puts a lot more limits on how much I can be forced to give back and gives me a lot more ways to contest giving it back.

Do some of you now realize why I'm such a dick about "investor groups"?

How would you like to join one, hell, even contribute even more money to pay for one, only to later find that it functioned to protect net winners and the end result was victims getting much less back.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

They don't need to go back more than 5 years or so, since the statute of limitations is between 4-6 years in most states. Turns out that +/- 5 years is the break even for these contracts. Those that have had contracts for more than 5 years will have to forfeit distributions over the last 4-5 years, I don't think that fact has sunk in yet.
No. If the statute of limitations is indeed 5 years, transactions over five years before filing the action are not considered, and those "net winners" would only have to pay back monies they got during the 5 years. What that would end up with, because of the sinking repayment schedules, is that people who have contracts less than 2.5 years being on the net loser side, and the only money to be clawed back would be on payments made on contracts between 2.5 and 5 years. Further reduce those recoveries by cost of litigation and the fact that most of the separate cases are negotiated for large discounts and, well, its just one more scenario where there's not much money to pay back, and it gets split among a lot of people who might end up waiting 3 years for 10% back, or worse. This is just phucking ugly, and I see signs of it getting a lot uglier and sleazier as it goes.

Really, love me or hate me, but I think the forming of a group and the involuntary bankruptcy is a bad idea for victims.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

One of my first trips with a members association was Bob Guenther...
Patrick Pretty Blog wrote:Guenther is the de facto head of the ASD Members Business Association (ASDMBA) Trust. As noted above, ASDMBA was formed with member contributions in the aftermath of the government seizure last summer of tens of millions of dollars from ASD. Federal prosecutors say ASD was selling unregistered securities, operating a Ponzi scheme and engaging in wire fraud and money-laundering.

ASDMBA’s stated goal was to protect the legal interests of ASD members who contributed to the association. People concerned want to know why that hasn’t happened, despite the fact ASDMBA raised more than the $100,000 said to be needed to pay for the retainer of Larry Friedman.
http://patrickpretty.com/2009/03/18/new ... aily-case/

Before that was over there were accusations that most of the money raised paid salaries to family members and other insiders, threats to sue anyone who dared question his motives and a general shop of horrors in which no benefits came to those who put up the $100,000 and no final accounting was ever provided that I find. Before anyone considers their path forward here, I beg you to do a little reading about how "reload scams" are looking to kick you while you're down.
Tednewsom
Ponzinator Extraordinaire

Post by Tednewsom »

Several people here have indicated-- hell, stated flat-out-- that all the ill-gotten gains are gone, that there is no money. Seems to me that's impossible to know, unless magically the forensic accountants zipped through the maze of 18 years worth of paperwork in a week.

That's also discounting the cleverness of the two principals. They weren't in it altruistically. Yes, the company was paying out plenty, but they were also taking in plenty. Yes, they clearly pissed away a few million here and there on things like Fuel Doctor-- but for outsiders or even investigators to proclaim one week after seizing control that "there's no money" is absurd.

It also inflames an already bleak and complex situation.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

snookered wrote:Comments from the meeting held today. FYI

Hi this is XXXX

Thank you for such detailed notes from today's meeting. I wanted to attend but, I had meetings that prevented my attendance.

I know I had sent some comments before the meeting. After reviewing your notes, I came up with some thoughts.

Do we know if there is an underlying viable business?
Answer: there are a variety of individuals who think otherwise. Sources clearly say no.

If so, liquidating the ATMs could be the worst possible decision. The machines will have little to no value on the open market. If there are machines, it could be insanely short sighted to dismantle the business which is the only value. This is a service business and, assuming there are actually operable machines in the field, I believe the machines should be viewed the same way buckets and mops would be viewed in a janitorial business. If you liquidate the buckets and mops, there will barely be enough to pay the trustee and attys. The real value is keeping the janitors using the buckets and mops and cleaning the buildings that currently contract for the janitorial services. Even if it operates at a loss?
Answer: The options are no longer under our control. The trustee will make this decision in the best interests of the entity. Again, very reliable sources claim there is no residual capital, income or equipment. The FBI and SEC will be looking into how assets were handled and if this was once a legitimate business and when it became the alleged PONZI scheme. Having said that the involuntary bankruptcy was the unanimous recommendation of a dozen high level experts from across the country with many skills (banking, bankruptcy, criminal etc.)Who are these dozens of experts and who is paying them? as this empowers the creditors the most and is the fasted to prevent further fraud and reassignment of assets.It also protects others, maybe at the expense of victims The SEC and FBI by their own admission to investors indicated they could not move faster. Keep in mind investors lost hundred (?’s) of thousands EVEN last week. GIVING THE NEED FOR BANKRUPSTY the comments here can only be directed to the trustee when appointed and he as a trustee would already understand these concerns and is responsible for keeping the legitimate business (some believe is present) operational so that it can be liquidated at the best price for all. The bankruptcy creates a level playing field for all the creditors and debtors to find a common general formula for fair treatment while freezing the business for further fraudulent conduct which is harmful to all the parties. The involuntary bankruptcy was filed as a good Samaritan act on behalf of all investors with unanimous legal support and the highest level and after a very careful analysis of alleged source material. The bankruptcy inadvertently protects management by preserving their 5th amendment rights and is not expected to be contested by management
Am I the only one who questions this Good Samaritan act?

If they just go through the process of liquidating the assets, they will see who has made money beyond the principal and will start to claw it back. If the people in charge don't understand how to quantify the potential of a service business and the risks of liquidating prematurely, it will cost a lot of people a lot of money! But the trustee and attys will do well.What makes you think so?
Answer: Reliable sources indicate the money is gone and the situation would be worse with delay. The trustee must determine the value proposition of continuing the business and how daily operations have been outsourced once they take the helm.
While there may be a dispute among investors about the issue of ongoing business opportunities the company is bankrupt just by the “promise to buy back equipment” and make monthly payments. If you don’t like this wording consider “there was a run on the bank” and the bank has no funds and no insurance (other than to distribute new income from sale of equipment which was on- gong as of last week)

Consider this, lets say these guys had a real business for many years and got greedy. They then started screwing people criminally but, the underlying business, while overstated, was still functioning. It may be far more advantageous to take over the operations than to just liquidate. And, depending on the particulars of the business, there may not be a lot of time to figure it out and stabilize it if its possible.
Answer: There were no options to go to management and ask them to step aside and show us the books and operations. So, you haven't seen any information to make these assumptions

I am very concerned for my mom's well being and the well being of many others who could not afford to loose their annuity.

I do not wish to be glib here, everyone is in pain and we have heard of homes being sold, retirements ruined. The FBI agent has said to some and you can find this in many places “If it is too good to be true it is too good to be true” Trite but all of us heard that before the investment.
Consider this:
1. Denial and Isolation

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

Please let me know if there is in fact some underlying business. Even if its a fraction of what we believed it to be, 25% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Even if this is true current management cannot be trusted to distribute these operations and are facing criminal charges.

Answer: We will have to wait for Monday morning quarterbacking by the FBI, SEC, IRS and local state governments. Sources claim there is no sustainable business to handle the current debt, although some claim these assets may have been transfered, sold or partnered since the June 17 SEC subpoena; rather than alert us to this development they continued to bring in new investors to pay old investors. So there was no way to evaluate and keep exiting business, even if present going. Best to seek the advice of your CPA as to how to plan the fraud loss and also to your attorney for a legal education

This is email is not intended to provide legal advice or completely trustworthy information until the facts are known and made available by the courts.

This is one person’s assessment.

Warmest regards to all

Thanks again
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Lost Income »

We investors got ourselves into this mess by believing what we were told, because many others were doing the same and there was some logic to it. So applying what we just learned the hard way...given the speculation and what we've been told, since we have no direct feedback from the SEC or FBI how can we positively verify they are actually investigating this now?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Lost Income wrote:So applying what we just learned the hard way...given the speculation and what we've been told, since we have no direct feedback from the SEC or FBI how can we positively verify they are actually investigating this now?
I sent an FYI email about the bankruptcy case over to la4407@sec.gov (the email mentioned earlier in the thread as being set up specifically for the NASI scam) and in that email I only referred to the company as Nationwide Automated Systems. Within a minute, I got back an auto-reply which stated:
Thank you for contacting the SEC regarding your investment with Nationwide Automated Systems, Inc. For more information about the SEC, you may visit our website at http://www.sec.gov.
Note the inclusion of ", Inc." I doubt the SEC would set up an auto-reply which could research the legal name of a company and respond accordingly. And it's unlikely that the SEC sets up email for companies they're not investigating.

Also, we have posted a copy of the subpoena from June.

ETA: And the subpoena wants paperwork going back to January 1, 2010.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Lost Income »

Thank you, I received the same e-mail reply. Just frustrated that by now there is still no way to discuss anything with a human at the SEC or FBI.

However, I do have a document package just waiting to give to the feds which contains....a contract signed by Joel, documents from Joel showing location & serial number for each machine, bank records of the checks I received/cashed from NAS, and the 1099 Tax Statements from NAS/Ed's Accounting Office.
Lost Income
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Lost Income »

Further to what I posted above..... My 1099's from NAS/Ed's Accounting Office, do not match the actual total for check amts received from NAS, for each year. Other investors should review the records they are planing to show the Feds for this SNAFU.
Tednewsom
Ponzinator Extraordinaire

Post by Tednewsom »

Awww, man... you mean, after all this rigmarole, after all these complicated shenanigans... Ed Wisher isn't even a good accountant?
dawnth
Swabby
Swabby

Post by dawnth »

To whom do we forward our contact information to? Thank you!
snookered wrote:Following, is an email that was shared with me today, from another NASI "Investor" - FYI

We held a meeting today at 2:00PM for investors in NASI. The meeting was the first meeting for the group to help get organized and meet face-to-face with other investors.

About 16 people showed up. The main purpose of the meeting was to consider organization and gather information to help put together a group of investors. We also exchanged information we had.

It was the general sentiment that group's common interest of this organization was to learn what is happening to the company (NASI) and determine how the group should work together to maximize the results of the filed bankruptcy.

We addressed:
Should we have an organization?
If so, who will run it?
Should we identify professional management of the group?
Will members be willing and able to contribute funds to manage the group going forward?

We discussed what exactly a involuntary bankruptcy is and why a some investors were strongly advised by council that it was in the best interest to file for an involuntary bankruptcy on behalf of all investors.

The attorney that filed the petition was available for a phone conference and explained what the purpose of the bankruptcy is and what are the possible outcomes of filing the bankruptcy are. Since the bankruptcy was filed by 3 petitioners, the lawyer clarified that he can only represents those 3 people only and cannot answer personal questions regarding the case. The attorneys sole role will be to position the company to the point that a trustee is appointed who then will take on all the responsibilities of managing the entity, assets, debits, credits and liabilities. The attorney’s best estimate is that the company will accept the Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If the bankruptcy is contested additional resources, possible from this group may be required, another reason to form a group.

Any investors that wants to hire their own attorneys and ask questions about their position in their investment or get an education as to the process should do so. The role of the current attorney will not cover these downstream concerns, other than to cause a trustee to be appointed.

The final part of the meeting was about investors sharing some of the personal thoughts and information about their experiences with the company, conversations they had with the company and the agencies investigating the company. To our astonishment we learned that several investors are new investors (2014) and NASI cashed investor checks as early as last week! Further support of the expedient bankruptcy.

All investors are invited and encouraged to join this group. Regardless of how much money was lost or made everybody agrees that this Ponzi scheme is a tragedy and a forum such as this is a value proposition for all.

The process to sort out the facts and recover lost money will be long and unpleasant. With the FBI, SEC and other government agencies involved, hopefully the facts will help put together the truth about NASI and we proceed forward. No investor will have information that can be reliable be confirmed until the investigations are completed.

While this is not to be interpreted as a legal opinion: the reality is that the company will soon be control of government agencies and there is yet an opportunity for personal legal representation. With the trustee acting on your behalf it is unclear if the average investor requires separate council. Please get that opinion from your attorney

In summary, it was concluded that the value of an organization was to have a forum to exchange and obtain information, to be organized should further legal action be required on behalf of all the investors and to have a voice to the court so that a capable and skilled trustee is appointed. This case is alleged to be above half a billion dollar Ponzi scheme.

Downstream after the process is ongoing a creditor committee of the largest investors will be formed by the bankruptcy court and the need for this group should be reevaluated.

Temporary leadership was approved and this leadership will bring back a recommendation for professional management, a mission statement and possible funding - as required to best represent all the investors involved.

Kindly do not forward this notice but do forward contact information of all legitimate investors you know.

On behalf of the Nationwide ATM Investor Group.
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

Lost Income wrote:Further to what I posted above..... My 1099's from NAS/Ed's Accounting Office, do not match the actual total for check amts received from NAS, for each year. Other investors should review the records they are planing to show the Feds for this SNAFU.
Very interesting, how much do they differ by?
Did you double check the actual period involved? Jan/dec checks may fall into different years?
snookered
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by snookered »

This is the email address on the letter to the investment group. I do not know these people, I merely shared the email letter.

redacted by moderator For the last time, we will not allow anyone to use this board to recruit or any commercial purpose.

I suppose you could email them at the above address and join the group. I for one, am going to let the dust settle and wait to hear from the authorities.
Last edited by Gregg on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed commercial link
dawnth
Swabby
Swabby

Post by dawnth »

This is a response to a letter by one of the investors, who is acquainted with us, inquiring about SEC "investigation" claimed by NAS Sept 9 letter.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). We appreciate your informing us of your concerns regarding Nationwide Automated Systems, Inc. (NASI). In the event you have additional information about NASI that you would like to share voluntarily with the SEC, including any documents, please e-mail your information to La4407@sec.gov.

The Office of Investor Education and Advocacy (OIEA) processes many complaints received from individual investors and others. We keep records of the correspondence we receive in a searchable database that SEC staff may make use of in inspections, examinations, and investigations. In addition, some correspondence received by OIEA is referred directly to other SEC offices and divisions for their review. If they have any questions or wish to respond directly to your comments, they will contact you.

The SEC conducts its investigations on a confidential and nonpublic basis and neither confirms nor denies the existence of an investigation unless the SEC brings charges against someone involved. We do this to protect the integrity and effectiveness of our investigative process and to preserve the privacy of the individuals and entities involved. As a result, we will be unable to confirm whether an investigation exists or provide you with any updates on the status of your complaint or of any pending SEC investigation. You may wish to check our website, www.sec.gov, for information about pending SEC civil actions, administrative cases, and other matters.

Sincerely,

David Cohen
Attorney
Office of Investor Education and Advocacy
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
(800) 732-0330
www.sec.gov
www.investor.gov
www.twitter.com/SEC_Investor_Ed
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

Gregg wrote:
They don't need to go back more than 5 years or so, since the statute of limitations is between 4-6 years in most states. Turns out that +/- 5 years is the break even for these contracts. Those that have had contracts for more than 5 years will have to forfeit distributions over the last 4-5 years, I don't think that fact has sunk in yet.
No. If the statute of limitations is indeed 5 years, transactions over five years before filing the action are not considered, and those "net winners" would only have to pay back monies they got during the 5 years. What that would end up with, because of the sinking repayment schedules, is that people who have contracts less than 2.5 years being on the net loser side, and the only money to be clawed back would be on payments made on contracts between 2.5 and 5 years. Further reduce those recoveries by cost of litigation and the fact that most of the separate cases are negotiated for large discounts and, well, its just one more scenario where there's not much money to pay back, and it gets split among a lot of people who might end up waiting 3 years for 10% back, or worse. This is just phucking ugly, and I see signs of it getting a lot uglier and sleazier as it goes.

Really, love me or hate me, but I think the forming of a group and the involuntary bankruptcy is a bad idea for victims.
Yes, the Clawback would effect all those distributions over the statute of limitations period , say 4 years in the case of Ca and many other states. However, in DETERMINING the net loss/gain over this entire period, they will have to further analyze the PROFILE of the HOLDING PERIOD of the contracts that the distributions in this time period are based on. So, for example, if someone bought a contract for 10 machines in Jan 2007, then the break even (5 years) would Jan 2012. In this case all distributions from that point on would be subject to 100% Clawback (less any negotiated factor..say 20% discount to settle). So, even though the DISTRIBUTION PERIOD is limited to 4 years (Calif), they WILL NEED TO LOOK BACK FURTHER ON THE CONTRACT DATES AS FAR BACK AS 2005 OR SO, since those contracts will have varying *break even points* that may fall in the 4 year distribution period.
Now, on the *flip side*, there are all those contracts initiated PRIOR to 2006 (give or take) that are considered *low hanging fruit* ripe for the picking so to speak. ALL DISTRIBUTIONS over the last 4 years from those are 100% Clawback. They might screen for those FIRST, since are prolly the biggest NET GAINERS over all.
Last edited by grimreaper on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimreaper

Post by grimreaper »

Gregg wrote:
Can someone explain the difference in powers and advantages and disadvantages of SEC vs. Bankruptcy?
Well, in regards to clawbacks (which I don't think will be to significant in this case for a lot of reasons, but I could be wrong), if the case is handled by the government as a criminal matter, the threshold for these payments can go back as far as the statute of limitations, which is years. .
I think the clawbacks will be the PRIMARY source of funds (if not the ONLY) for restitution of net losers. He was able to pay THOUSANDS of investors distributions over the last 4 years (statute of limitations) and at I would assume HALF of those were paid to net gainers having held numerous contracts (*machines*) prior to 2006. As I mentoned in prior post, these are *low hanging fruit*. Also, keep in mind there are still more net gainers from 2006-2009, depending on when they bought them. That's a LOT of MOOLA to be clawed back!
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Tednewsom wrote:Several people here have indicated-- hell, stated flat-out-- that all the ill-gotten gains are gone, that there is no money. Seems to me that's impossible to know, unless magically the forensic accountants zipped through the maze of 18 years worth of paperwork in a week.
Of course it is impossible to know for sure, but given the past history of these types of schemes, there is typically litle or no money left for the victims.

Here is another Ponzi scheme reported on yesterday, with some particulars:
Cincinnati Business Courier September 23, 2014

Another Cincinnati Adviser Admits to Running Ponzi Scheme
By Steve Watkins

Another Cincinnati investment adviser has pleaded guilty to charges related to running a Ponzi scheme.

John Bullar, 52, who ran Executive Management Advisors in Cincinnati, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court on Tuesday to one count of wire fraud and one count of money laundering. He admitted to running an $8.7 million Ponzi scheme, bilking local investors out of their money. The charges carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Bullar ran the scheme for seven years, from 2006 to 2013, according to court documents. He brought in the $8.7 million from between 10 and 50 investors, according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office press release. Investors lost between $2.5 million and $7 million in the scheme, federal attorneys said.

Bullar’s case was similar in that he, too, targeted friends and family as investors, lied about his firm’s performance and kept most of the money investors gave him.

Prosecutors say Bullar told clients he never had a losing quarter and that he was the company’s biggest investor, so his money was invested along with theirs.
“In reality, Bullar had invested only a small amount of the money that he received from clients, using the vast majority of the money to pay other investors and his own personal expenses,” the U.S. District Attorney’s Office said in a news release.

Bullar aimed to make the operation look legitimate by giving investors quarterly statements that showed their investments were making a profit. He sent client 1099 forms that reported gains, meaning they had to pay taxes on gains that didn’t exist. He also created an investment blog and installed a TV and three computer monitors in his home office to give the appearance that he was constantly monitoring the market.

Bullar invested just $580,000 of the $8.7 million, according to federal prosecutors. He never invested the rest. He used investor money to buy a house, pay for vacations, country club dues, boats, jet skis, sports tickets and vehicles, prosecutors said.
It is pretty clear that the money is gone in Bullar's scam. It went everwhere except into a bank account that can be taken and counted. I don't expect that it will be any different with NASI's situation when the dust settles.
That's also discounting the cleverness of the two principals. They weren't in it altruistically. Yes, the company was paying out plenty, but they were also taking in plenty. Yes, they clearly pissed away a few million here and there on things like Fuel Doctor-- but for outsiders or even investigators to proclaim one week after seizing control that "there's no money" is absurd.
You know, you can scroll through the last 40-some odd posts and see some of the victims with this belief. "There was so much money going to NASI, it has to be somewhere. It can't just be gone!" There are comments from some that indicate that they are holding onto the myth that that somehow NASI was an ongoing business and that we just need to preserve the machines and the location contracts and then run it for however long it takes until the investors are paid off. And there are other comments regarding the ability to liquidate NASI and recover the investments. None of this is absurd in light of what we already know?

I understand their emotion is involved in this, that some part of them thinks by denying the truth of the matter, somehow they are going to avoid a lot of pain and loss. That is just part of being a human. But it doesn't change the truth of the matter. What is absurd is to know that that checks bounced and still somehow believe that there is money available. If NASI was bouncing checks, that is a pretty good sign to me that the money was gone. The fact that NASI didn't issue replacement checks is another good sign that the money is gone. The fact that the lies about how many machines NASI owned are coming to light is another sign that the money is gone. In fact there are more signs about the money being gone rather than being there is proably another sign in of itself. So I don't think it is absurd to say that the money is gone.
[It also inflames an already bleak and complex situation.

I would disagree; leading people to believe that somehow they will recover their losses is wrong and disingenuous. A bleak and complex situation will be inflamed even worse if they are given false hope and encouragment to hold on to their myths. They need to get out of the denial stage and accept the truth.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff