CTCer can't convince IRS, or his employer, or a judge

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

CTCer can't convince IRS, or his employer, or a judge

Post by Quixote »

But he's sure a "well-thought out and researched" reply to the 3176 letter will do the trick.

Fly2eat writes:
Has there been anyone successful in defending themselves with any of the very intelligent, well-thought out and researched replies to the IRS concerning the 3176 "frivilous" letters?
I have just had our accounts frozen with a "Notice of Levy" a couple days ago due to a traditional 2001 return filed late in 2005 (long story). I spent nearly the entire day on the phone with the IRS yesterday trying to get someone to understand the 1040x and 4852's we subsequently filed should have completely wiped out and then-some the late filing penalty they said we owed for that year. They claimed they didn't have the amended return so I faxed them a copy of it. It was then the questions started about income, wages, employee, etc. I went right to CtC and my worn copy of the IRC and educated the servant on the other end of the phone. In spite of all that, they would not lift the levy until they finished with the "appeal" that started with my newly found 1040x.
I of course now anticipate a 3176 for that year and subsequent years that were all either amended or as in 2006 and 2007, filed with 1040's and 4852's. They lost both of those years and in spite of having 2006 sent via "notorized 3rd party affidavit of mail service" and of course return receipt requested on both, they don't have them. That is the next battle.
We are worn down but still fighting hard. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to get my employer to stop withholding which went all the way up to the U.S. District Court in New Jersey. I lost because of some very bad advice about the time limit of when to file an "appeal" versus a "letter of reconsideration". That was a huge cost to finally hire a "word weasal" to get my companies attempt at sanctions shut down and close the case. You can read about it at Jeffries v Continental Airlines.
My question to the group is again, has anyone been successful in defeating the 3176 and "frivilous" penalty with any coorespondence back to the criminals at the IRS? My experience so far has been they just throw out what they don't want to get and claim they never got it. I now have my Senator looking into the matter but I'm sure I will not get much satisfaction from him either just as I didn't get any help from the Tax Payer Advocate service.
He did manage to escape sanctions thanks to his "word weasal" I wonder why he didn't hire one of the LostHeads who came up with those "well-thought out and researched" 3176 replies.

I still can't wrap my mind around a world view in which the IRS, which knows its actions are wrong but takes them anyway, will somehow be compelled to do what the LostHeads want if they read the LostHeads' "well-thought out and researched" letters. Oh, and the IRS can avoid that magical compulsion by pretending they did not receive the letter.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: CTCer can't convince IRS, or his employer, or a judge

Post by The Observer »

TPs opt for that mindset because they are desperately hoping that this will all resolve the issue in their favor without further ado, fuss, time and money. Deep down most of these TPs are moral cowards and are not willing to sacrifice themselves for a goal that they know has little chance of being achieved. This is why so many of them eageraly encourage others to face off against the government - when the poor fellow is hauled off to jail, they quickly disappear and await the next sacrificial victim.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

His Senator will help. His correspondence will be sent to the IRS and will be handled by the local congressional liason. This will mean that they will write the Senator back and explain all actions the IRS is taking and will fast track any actions. With any luck, his frivolous penalties will be forthcoming a little quicker.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Fly2eat wrote:I was unsuccessful in my attempt to get my employer to stop withholding which went all the way up to the U.S. District Court in New Jersey. I lost because of some very bad advice about the time limit of when to file an "appeal" versus a "letter of reconsideration". That was a huge cost to finally hire a "word weasal" to get my companies attempt at sanctions shut down and close the case. You can read about it at Jeffries v Continental Airlines.
It angers the Illuminati when people misspell "weasel."

I'm a little confused - I get that he couldn't stop the withholding, but what are these "sanctions" that his employer attempted to impose?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

but what are these "sanctions" that his employer attempted to impose?
As I read it, he sued his employer for honoring the levy, and they moved for Rule 11 sanctions for his filing a frivolous lawsuit.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Dr. Caligari wrote:
As I read it, he sued his employer for honoring the levy, and they moved for Rule 11 sanctions for his filing a frivolous lawsuit.
Thanks! It seems like they should have won that one.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Found it.

Lochland D. Jeffries v. Continental Airlines, No. 07-1761 (PGS)(ES) (U.S.D.C. N.J.)

From the motion for sanctions, Docket #18:
Continental Airlines wrote:Defendant Continental Airlines, Inc. ("Continental") moves this Court for an order imposing sanctions, pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 11, upon plaintiff Lochland D. Jeffries. Plaintiff deserves to be sanctioned because he pursued an utterly frivolous and baseless tax protest complaint despite Continental's informal and formal advice that his lawsuit was frivolous and its requests that he withdraw it.

Plaintiff's frivolous complaint in this case was the continuation of his nearly two-year quest to stop Continental from withholding income taxes from his paychecks. Continental fully recounted the history of plaintiff's quest in its motion to dismiss and, thus, only a brief summary of the factual background of the case is included here.

In September 2005 the IRS specifically directed
Continental to "[d]isregard the information on [plaintiff's] Form W-4", to withhold taxes with plaintiff classified as single and with zero allowances, and to disregard any future W-4 from plaintiff if it claimed exempt status. (MTD Br. at 1.) In its letter to Continental, the IRS explained that the Internal Revenue Code, Section 3402 "requires employers to withhold tax" and that Section 3403 "states that your employees do not have a 'cause of action' (basis for legal action) to recover wages you withheld by law." (Id.) Plaintiff knew about Continental's obligations with respect to his withholdings and Form W-4s, as the IRS sent him a simultaneous and similar letter. (Id. at 2.)

Despite written notice from the IRS of the IRS's directives to Continental, plaintiff wrote to Continental's Human Resources Department to disparage the IRS and accused it of attempting to threaten Continental into withholding taxes. (Id.)

Nearly a year later, plaintiff continued his baseless attempts to exempt himself from income tax withholding. In May 2006 he sent several dubious tax forms to Continental's payroll department. A month later, plaintiff sent another letter and attached another dubious form. By this time, the focus of plaintiff's ire had shifted from the IRS to Continental, and he threatened to sue. (Id.) Defendant Margaret Coullard Phillips ("Phillips"), a Senior Attorney at Continental, promptly answered plaintiff's letter indicating that his requests to cease withholdings were "respectfully declined," enclosing an IRS publication entitled "The Truth About Frivolous Tax Arguments", and stating that she considered the matter closed. (Id.)

Despite that he had known for over a year that the IRS specifically directed Continental to continue to withhold taxes from his paychecks, and despite Phillips' letter and her forwarding of the IRS publication, plaintiff persisted, and his efforts crossed over into harassment. Plaintiff enlisted the "Mid-Atlantic Trustees and Administrators" and its president, Ronald Ottaviano, to continue his protests. (Id. at 2-3.) Mr. Ottaviano's letter lectured Phillips on his beliefs about tax law and "supported" his arguments with dubious legal authority. Mr. Ottaviano also threatened Phillips with a malpractice lawsuit and threatened Continental with a civil claim. (Id. at 3.) Mr. Ottaviano, plaintiff's agent, continued to harass defendants with another insulting letter a month later, which varied its insults but repeated the same frivolous legal positions. (Id.)

Mr. Ottaviano's letters did not dignify a reply from defendants. Nevertheless, out of an abundance of courtesy and in effort to finally put plaintiff's frivolous tax protests to rest, Phillips wrote to Mr. Ottaviano to affirm Continental's position and to reiterate that Continental considered the matter closed. (Id.)

Plaintiff did not stop. He continued to insult Phillips in a January 2007 letter in which he accused her of "weak-kneed fear of the IRS". Phillips replied to plaintiff's latest letter and, again, affirmed Continental's obligation to withhold taxes from his paychecks. (Id.)

Having been repeatedly told that his tax arguments were baseless, having known for more than a year that the IRS ordered Continental to continue to withhold taxes and ignore his claims of exemption, and having received respectful replies from defendants despite the frivolity of his correspondence, plaintiff sued defendants.

The crux of plaintiff's complaint was that Continental somehow wronged him by continuing to withhold income taxes from his paychecks after he filed a Form W-4 claiming he had no tax liability. (See Compl. ¶¶ 1, 3-5.) Plaintiff also claimed either or both defendants committed mail fraud when Phillips replied to his harassing letters and explained that his arguments were misguided.

After removing plaintiff's complaint to this Court on April 16, 2007, Continental informally advised plaintiff, by letter dated May 8, 2007, that his complaint was frivolous and that it intended to seek sanctions if he did not withdraw it. (See Bruno R. 11 Decl. Ex. A.)

Continental filed its motion to dismiss on May 31. Continental provided plaintiff with formal notice of its intent to seek sanctions by serving the motion papers upon him on June 12, 2007 -- at least 21 days before filing this motion -- which gave him an additional opportunity to withdraw his complaint and avoid sanctions. (Id. ¶ 4.) Instead of heeding Continental's advice, plaintiff moved, with no basis whatsoever, to remand his complaint to state court.

By order dated June 20, 2007, Judge Sheridan converted Continental's motion to dismiss into one for summary judgment. During the first scheduled hearing on that motion, plaintiff requested an adjournment due to his desire to retain counsel, which Judge Sheridan granted. (Avery Decl. ¶ 3.) Ronald McCray subsequently attempted to appear on behalf of plaintiff but Judge Sheridan directed Mr. McCray, after defendants' objection, not to participate because he is not licensed to practice law in this Court. (Id. ¶ 4.) Judge Sheridan heard argument on the summary judgment motion on July 19, 2007, during which defendant Phillips joined in Continental's motion. (Id. ¶ 5.) Judge Sheridan granted the motion and read an opinion into the record. (Id. ¶ 6.) His opinion cited ample clear-cut authority under which claims like plaintiff's have repeatedly been rejected. (Id. ¶ 7.) Judge Sheridan memorialized his decision in a July 20 order dismissing all of plaintiff's claims against defendants. (Id. ¶ 8.) As the Court is aware,
plaintiff thereafter moved for reconsideration of Judge Sheridan's decision, which motion was
also denied.

The court should sanction plaintiff for pursuing utterly frivolous claims and for forcing defendants to defend his harassing litigation. Continental requests that plaintiff be ordered to pay its legal fees and costs incurred in defending this action.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

I think there should have been a keyboard warning before the showing of that case.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

It should be noted that there are now 9 replies to that message on the Quatloos board, which is nine more than he had on LostHeads asking for any success stories.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

webhick wrote:
Dr. Caligari wrote:
Thanks! It seems like they should have won that one.
The motion for sanctions was settled. From the stipulation of the parties:
WHEREAS, Plaintiff represents that he will immediately cease his pursuit of his claims in the Civil Action, and that he will forego any further appeal or reconsideration of the Court's rulings in the Civil Action;

WHEREAS, Plaintiff represents that he will not in the future pursue any legal action against, or engage in any correspondence with, Continental, Phillips, or any of Continental's employees relating to the claims and assertions regarding his income tax withholdings that he has made in the Civil Action;
I have a feeling that the highlighted language sealed the deal. To most businesses, making the problem go away is the most important consideration.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
triumphguy2
Swabby
Swabby

Post by triumphguy2 »

I have a feeling that the highlighted language sealed the deal. To most businesses, making the problem go away is the most important consideration.
Quite true. My firm once had the pleasure of representing a towing company which had towed a car belonging to Doug Palaschak, aka 'Lawyerdude' He filed a complaint against our client, the city, the police, the state, the parking lot attendant, with probably a dozen or so causes of action(RICO, IIED, 1983, etc). I was looking forward to a fairly entertaining lawsuit. The client said 'If I give him back his car will he drop the lawsuit?' He said he would, our client did, and I had to find some other way to entertain myself.

Patrick Cherry
Ventura, CA
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Continental didn't even get reimbursement?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

aka 'Lawyerdude'
He's banned here but posted as 'Lawyerdude,' aka 'LawyerDud.'

Last we heard he was engaged in skirting the bounds of UPL via e-mail, but that's been a year or two. Almost makes me nostalgic. Where's Van Pelt when you need a laugh?
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

. wrote:
aka 'Lawyerdude'
He's banned here but posted as 'Lawyerdude,' aka 'LawyerDud.'

Last we heard he was engaged in skirting the bounds of UPL via e-mail, but that's been a year or two. Almost makes me nostalgic. Where's Van Pelt when you need a laugh?
I fully expected to see Van Pelt's name pop up somewhere in that case. Anyone know anything more on Ottaviano and "Mid-Atlantic Trustees and Administrators", or Ronald McCray?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by cynicalflyer »

The Observer wrote: I fully expected to see Van Pelt's name pop up somewhere in that case. Anyone know anything more on Ottaviano and "Mid-Atlantic Trustees and Administrators", or Ronald McCray?
They specialized in "Pure" Trusts out of New Jersey

http://www.yourpto.com
http://weballiance.weballiance.biz/yourpto.com/

His elaboration of the "law" behind his pure trusts is just, well, words fail me. Babble?

https://weballiance.weballiance.biz/you ... Trusts.htm

Also, if it is the same Ottaviano, he is no stranger to scams.
Con man was as quick, slick as a Jaguar
Journal Inquirer-Manchester CT
February 10, 1996

Within perhaps three weeks of paying a Manchester automobile restorer almost $ 19,000 for a classic Jaguar, the New York-area professional man realized that not everything he was being told was true.

The restorer, Ronald Ottaviano, claimed all his cars were hand-painted, says the customer, who has asked not to be identified.

But Ottaviano's business. Classic Metal Works, was in Manchester's Riverpoint industrial condominium complex -- on a hill just behind the Maaco Auto Painting and Body Works shop on North Main Street.

And by about the third week of their dealings, the customer recalls, he realized that Ottaviano -- who pleaded guilty last week to federal fraud charges -- was having cars painted by Maaco. Jack Watkinson, the Maaco shop's manager, confirms that Ottaviano had cars painted there.

But, the customer says, he wasn't terribly troubled by that small deception on Ottaviano's part. Maaco, after all, knows how to paint cars.
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
cynicalflyer

Post by cynicalflyer »

More on Ron. Got convicted of threatening to kill someone in 2004.

Name OTTAVIANO, RONALD G
County BERGEN
Indictment 04-08-01530-A
Defendant number 001
DOB 1960-09-06
Age today 47
Offense Description THREAT TO KILL

Sentencing information
Place COUNTY JAIL
Date 2004-10-15
Type INCARCER COND PROB
Age at sentence 44
Jail 00 years 00 months 048 days
Parole ineligibility 00 years 00 months 000 days
Probation 02 years 00 months
Penalty $50 F
ine $0
Lab fee $0
DEDR $0
Restitution $0
Judge AUSTIN, EUGENE H JSC
Comments SEE NOTES

http://php.app.com/njsent/details.php?recordID=48442
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The comedy from "Fly2eat" (Lochland Jeffries) continues in this thread:

http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... b0b4e1575a
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

deslocc:
Sorry to say..

But most likely the bank will roll over, they like private employers could care less about the person. They think someone like us would never be able to find an attorney to take the case and sue them. Well, guess they have not noticed how a lot more people are doing their own cases and winning.
I tried to think of what case deslocc might be talking about. Fortunately, he supplied details.
I read/heard of one case where the irs requested bank records for this one woman, when the bank told her of the request she responded that the bank would not provide any info without a signed court order. Well the bank ignored her letter and when they turned over account info, since she was married they also turned over account info for her husband too. (which was not requested)

She sued and won her case for millions!
Oh right. That lady, or maybe her husband, who sued some bank somewhere over a completely different issue. That should help fly2eat with his problem.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat