Couple Face 25 Years Over Corporation Sole

The Observer
Further Moderator

Couple Face 25 Years Over Corporation Sole

Post by The Observer »

BNA is reporting today that a John and Sandra Cote of Brooklyn, Connecticut were arrested on January 9, 2013 for tax fraud. The article in part reported:
In 1995 and 1996, the Cotes concealed income and assets from the government and submitted obstructive letters and other documents, including fake financial instruments and false criminal complaints against IRS employees, DOJ said.

For the years 1998 to 2009, the Cotes allegedly prevented the companies for which John Cotes consulted from filing Forms 1099 bearing his Social Security number. The companies instead paid his compensation to nominee bank accounts, including accounts in Costa Rica, Antigua, and Sweden, DOJ said.

The Cotes also used a nominee entity called “Sandra Cote, Overseer of God's Battery Ministry, and Her Successors, a Corporation Sole” to conceal income and assets from IRS, the announcement said. Sandra Cote conveyed the couple's personal residence to the entity in 2003, DOJ said.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Couple Face 25 Years Over Corporation Sole

Post by Lambkin »

How does one "prevent" a company from filing forms 1099? My experience as an occasional consultant has been something like "give us your SSN for the 1099 if you want to be paid".
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Lambkin wrote:How does one "prevent" a company from filing forms 1099? My experience as an occasional consultant has been something like "give us your SSN for the 1099 if you want to be paid".
Threatening litigation, stealing and shredding it before it got to a mailbox, refusing to accept it, etc. Also, depending on what kind of consulting he was doing, it could have been part of his responsibilities to pay his own invoices and file that paperwork. He could have assured them that his payment method was legal (or not told them) and came up with excuses as to why the 1099s could be filed "yet". He could have kept contesting the amount and demanding corrections into oblivion. He could have withheld the SSN from the start and they really liked him so they just kept trying and then they thought they couldn't file the 1099s because they thought the IRS would slap them hard for not getting it (he could have led them to believe it, too).

There are numerous scenarios which could have happened.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mider
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Mider »

We have a lot of people who are consultants for business, most of the time they get around the 1099 requirement by just telling the other company that they are incorporated, the other company normally doesn't even check, just take their word.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Mider wrote:We have a lot of people who are consultants for business, most of the time they get around the 1099 requirement by just telling the other company that they are incorporated, the other company normally doesn't even check, just take their word.
How does that work? Every company I have ever dealt with still had to file something to prove that that money was indeed paid somewhere, whether to a corporation, or an individual, or even a charity, otherwise they have to pay the taxes on it. Now, if they didnt mind paying the taxes and just paid cash I could see them not filing anything. Even if all you file is "paid $221, 562 to XYZ Corporation, consultants" then you have still filed something there. And your forms would still have a name attached to it, whether Joe Blow from XYZ or what have you.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Mider
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Mider »

There would be a paper trail, probably a canceled check for the payment or a bank statement showing an online transfer, but there would not be a 1099 issued in the SS# of the person if they were treated as a LLC.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

JamesVincent wrote:How does that work?
How the govt explained it (or not) in its successful motion for detention:
During the time period covered by the indictment, the defendant traveled the world as a consultant in the high-technology welding industry. Working in concert with his wife, the defendant prevented the companies with which he contracted from reporting his income to the IRS. The Cotes hid this income from the government by directing the companies to wire the defendant’s compensation to bank accounts in Costa Rica, Antigua, and Sweden, as well as to a bank account in Connecticut that Sandra Cote opened in the name of a fake church.

The defendant and his wife submitted numerous obstructive and harassing documents to the IRS in response to notices and warning letters directing them to file tax returns and pay taxes. Over more than a decade, the Cotes adduced a litany of frivolous “tax protester” or “tax defier” claims about the tax laws. Among other things, the defendant and his wife claimed that the tax laws were not applicable to them; they were non-resident aliens and sovereign citizens; the IRS lacked the legal authority to assess and collect taxes; and that any compensation received by the defendant was not taxable.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

A corporation sole? Sounds fishy.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dr. Caligari wrote:A corporation sole? Sounds fishy.
I bet you posted that on porpoise just for the halibut.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote:
Dr. Caligari wrote:A corporation sole? Sounds fishy.
I bet you posted that on porpoise just for the halibut.
Well, that's better than the way I floundered around, singing an off-key tuna, until I said "holy mackerel" -- I just thought of a whale of a special type of corporation for sovruns!" Congress should add a special Section R to the law enabling Corporations Sole; and allow the creation of a Corporation (R) Sole for any sovrun who wants one.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Well, that's better than the way I floundered around, singing an off-key tuna, until I said "holy mackerel" -- I just thought of a whale of a special type of corporation for sovruns!" Congress should add a special Section R to the law enabling Corporations Sole; and allow the creation of a Corporation (R) Sole for any sovrun who wants one.
Ha! Your scheme is nothing more than a trick to lure sovruns and paytriots into thinking they have escaped when in reality they unwittingly place themselves under the authority and rule of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Well, that's better than the way I floundered around, singing an off-key tuna, until I said "holy mackerel" -- I just thought of a whale of a special type of corporation for sovruns!" Congress should add a special Section R to the law enabling Corporations Sole; and allow the creation of a Corporation (R) Sole for any sovrun who wants one.
Ha! Your scheme is nothing more than a trick to lure sovruns and paytriots into thinking they have escaped when in reality they unwittingly place themselves under the authority and rule of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
You got that right! Besides, I want to be at the local IRS office, some day, when a sovrun walks in and says "I don't have to pay taxes because I am an 'R Sole.'"
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, at least if they were banded and tagged, they could keep a better eye one them. Oh wait, wasn't that all taken care of by a different department with the magic contrails, and the sub cue chips they were implanting a while back? They have so many programs going now I can't keep track of them all.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:I want to be at the local IRS office, some day, when a sovrun walks in and says "I don't have to pay taxes because I am an 'R Sole.'"
There should be a special circle of Hell for that kind of pun.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
searcher

Post by searcher »

To:The Observer
@ >I bet you posted that on porpoise just for the halibut.
I love your sense of humor.Thanks for the good laugh!! I love to laugh,but it seldom happens.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

searcher wrote:To:The Observer
@ >I bet you posted that on porpoise just for the halibut.
I love your sense of humor.Thanks for the good laugh!! I love to laugh,but it seldom happens.
What, the botox causes your face to crack?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.