Sappy enough for syrup--Dreamsicles!

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Sappy enough for syrup--Dreamsicles!

Post by Cathulhu »

Ok, I was curious when I saw this article.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... cation=rss

I got intrigued enough to look up dreamsicles figurines, and they'd be useful for target practice when you go to the shooting range. Intensely saccarine, the kind of thing I find nauseating. So the owners didn't file and ran off to Honduras...Hey Harv, why don't you pick up a few? They're collector's items!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Sappy enough for syrup--Dreamsicles!

Post by JamesVincent »

Really? I bought my mother a ton of them in the late 90s and early 2000s. She used them as part of her scenes she made on wall shelves and for Christmas decorations.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

James, James. You reinforce my decision not to have children.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

lol.... I, for one, do not have sue over my keyboard. Since I have small children, I have a water proof keyboard. Even the glass hitting it did not damage it. What can I say, my mother liked them and actually requested different ones in the lines for Christmas presents and what not.

Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

I won't badmouth your mother, whom I am certain is a nice lady in my age group, but I calls them as I sees them, and those things are sappy enough to drill a hole and set a bucket.

My place looks more like it was decorated by a hypoallergenic member of the Addams family. (I don't tolerate dust.) Spooky interesting art is another matter.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

My mother, for the most part, collected Wedgwood and other porcelains. When I bought her things in my own taste, such as the Sake set I bought her years ago, she liked them also. I tend to Oriental things, driftwood art, swords, you know. She got a dreamsicle from my niece and decided she wanted them. She has some of them displayed in the same large curio cabinet as the Sake set, Oriental plates, Wedgwood and other collectibles. I dont ask, she asks and I be a good son and buy.

Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

This original oil hangs in my living room, along with an original by Phil Foglio, another by Al White, and yet another by Dragon Dronet and one by Bill Warren. The H.R. Giger is only a print, but it's signed. Cap'n, if you saw the original magic card art Heather has given me for kittysitting, you'd drool.

http://www.studiowondercabinet.com/inde ... Art.html#7

I love tentacles! Has anyone else here ever heard "Shoggoth on the Roof"?

edit--forgot the link!
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

I think I own one abstract, by Frank Teele who's better known as a jeweler--he also did a pair of damascus steel katanas with silver and ebony fittings (with a couple gems) for me, and swears he'll never make another dracolich tsuba, since the casters had to invent new methods of sprou channels for the molten silver going to every rib of the dracolich. (Eat your heart out, James! I have two umbrella stands stuffed with old swords in my entryway and a rack for the good stuff. Scares hell out of Avon ladies. But every small boy that sees them attempts to move in with us.) Just recently got a pair of very fine gold rings done by Frank with moldavite settings because I always wanted star jewels and moldavite is a tektite.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Very nice, Judge! I'm impressed.

One artist I think very well of is Michael Whelan, but he's so expensive all I have are signed prints and one artist's proof of Nightmare in Red. Was smitten with his art even before he won my heart by wearing a "Picasso sucks" t-shirt.
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

In case anyone is interested in the actual "Dreamsicles" stuff, the website is still up:

http://www.dreamsiclesstore.com/

I looked at this and nearly went into sugar shock.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Quick--insulin for Unidyne! Hang in there, buddy!
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Unidyne wrote:In case anyone is interested in the actual "Dreamsicles" stuff, the website is still up:

Oh dear god, who unleashed this on humanity.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

CaptainKickback wrote:
bmielke wrote:
Unidyne wrote:In case anyone is interested in the actual "Dreamsicles" stuff, the website is still up:

Oh dear god, who unleashed this on humanity.
Webhick. It was/is part of an intern survival "test" she devised. The rest of the test involves a half pound of hummus, a leisure suit and 3 kittens.
While I detest the filthy little creatures and may buy some just to take them out of circulation with an AR 15, I applude Webhick on a fantastic test and wish her luck in the weedign out the weak.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

It's like mainlining maple syrup....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:It's like mainlining maple syrup....
Don't knock it until you have tried it. :whistle: :roll: :twisted:
I'll use Grade B -- it has the most intense flavor.

:mouthshut: :mouthshut: :mouthshut:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

CaptainKickback wrote:My mom always wanted a komodo dragon, so it could greet Avon ladies, Watch Tower people and Jehovah's Witnesses........
I grew up on a working farm (and since my parents had no sons and I'm oldest, guess who did a lot of the work) and we kept hogs as well as other stock. On George Washington's birthday the sow had 18 piglets, a problem since she couldn't feed them all, and in normal piggie fashion she threw out the two smallest, biting the tail off one of them. We took George and Martha in and raised them on bottles, and they lived in an old doghouse in the front yard as soon as they were strong enough. My mom was on the roof fixing it when the Jehovah's Witnesses dropped by again (despite requests to leave us be) and she and I both treasure the memory of the JWs being chased off by the ferocious watch-piglets. They didn't come back.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Cathulhu wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:My mom always wanted a komodo dragon, so it could greet Avon ladies, Watch Tower people and Jehovah's Witnesses........
I grew up on a working farm (and since my parents had no sons and I'm oldest, guess who did a lot of the work) and we kept hogs as well as other stock. On George Washington's birthday the sow had 18 piglets, a problem since she couldn't feed them all, and in normal piggie fashion she threw out the two smallest, biting the tail off one of them. We took George and Martha in and raised them on bottles, and they lived in an old doghouse in the front yard as soon as they were strong enough. My mom was on the roof fixing it when the Jehovah's Witnesses dropped by again (despite requests to leave us be) and she and I both treasure the memory of the JWs being chased off by the ferocious watch-piglets. They didn't come back.
In Massachusetts I lived on Route 14 a state road that runs from Duxbury and I am not sure where it ends up, but it is an extremely busy road. I lived 60 feet from it, I never had a JW. In Tennessee I live 700 feet off of a back road, that is 1/2 a mile from SR 288, on which you must travel 7 miles in one direction and 12 in the other to get to anything that could be called a main road. Every two to three months JW's come up the driveway. We have a white goose, he is at least 15 years old, he hates everyone, when they come up the driveway he runs wings spread and stands three feet from their door. They roll down the windows and say they are JW's and they would like to talk. We send the dog that hate everyone out to great them, and they leave, but in two months they'll be back.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

My little sister's late dog, Toby, only had one trick. When told to "smile pretty", he would do his best to smile with a large mouthful of big teeth. He was a really good dog, never bit anyone and ran off the occasional bear while being protective of his family (Sis lives on top of a mountain), but the only time she ever called a cop they wouldn't get out of the car.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

My insurance carrier would rather I didn't report the artwork I have on a public forum, but I have some works by some of the same artists as Cathulhu.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95