Some Folks Will Endorse Anything - Power Balance

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Some Folks Will Endorse Anything - Power Balance

Post by wserra »

I just ran across something called the Power Balance, which will make you "experience excellent balance, strength and flexibility when wearing" it. Sounds good. What is it? Well, it's a "bracelet [that] contains a Mylar hologram designed to react with the body’s natural energy flow". A hologram that reacts with something? The body has a "natural energy flow" that things can react with?

How does this miracle product work? Surprise, surprise - they don't tell you. That do say that it's "based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram in Power Balance is designed to respond to the natural energy field of the body. The Mylar material at the core of Power Balance has been treated with energy waves at specific frequencies. The resulting Mylar is believed to resonate and work with your body’s natural energy flow to help enable you to perform at the best of your ability." "Treated with energy waves"? "Resonate ... with your body's natural energy flow"? I've read more convincing stuff in Captain Marvel comic books. I just saw "Megamind" with my nine-year-old. In comparison with Power Balance, it's a documentary.

So I found this inside the back cover of some supermarket tabloid, right? Wrong. It's endorsed by some athletes with household names. Shaquille O'Neal. Shane Victorino. Lamar Odom. Drew Brees. The wristband costs $30, pendants from $30 to $80.

It's hard to imagine something more clearly useless. So much for celebrity endorsements.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: Some Folks Will Endorse Anything - Power Balance

Post by Cathulhu »

Even an acupuncturist wouldn't think this affected their chi!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

The true origination of Ninjutsu was in the so-called " exiled clan", the 13th clan in Japan was mostly lower level workers and samurai. Their art believed that the afore mentioned energy field surrounded us all and could be interacted with. The art of ninjutsu was developed as a way of teaching the interaction and how to use it in battle. Basically, it was primarily defensive because you could feel the other persons energy gathering in one area that would mean an attack and your energy would react to it, move you out of the way. Having said that, WTF does a piece of Mylar balloon with a picture in it have to do with your energy adjustment?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

It's not too difficult to get an athlete endorsing a product like this, but why not a leading intellectual, a judge, scientist, politician, someone who's judgment is actually being weighed by his/her peers?

But I have known intelligent people resorting to magnet "therapy" and copper and other metal wristbands. Kinesiology probably has some merit, that's why I look for natural fabrics instead of synthetics. Energy fields are real, but overestimated and exploited by quacks and charlatans in comparison to human relationships, physical fitness, etc.. When I see an attractive woman with a piercing in her nose, multiple piercings in the ears and elsewhere, I wonder what kind of energy she is trying to draw to herself? If I were to wear an earing, or wrap something around my body I would try to get the best material, not some chinsy stuff that cheapens the good gifts that nature has given.

This is just another fad like crystals, pyramid power and dozens of others. Let's get on the band wagon.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
wserra

Post by wserra »

Number Six wrote:why not a leading intellectual, a judge, scientist, politician, someone who's judgment is actually being weighed by his/her peers?
I take it that's rhetorical.
But I have known intelligent people resorting to magnet "therapy" and copper and other metal wristbands.
I haven't, other than as a gag (or, of course, as jewelry).
Kinesiology probably has some merit
Kinesiology is the study of movement of the body. In that sense, it has more than "some merit". It's vital to physical therapy, physiatry, orthopedics and other disciplines. Is that the way you mean it?
Energy fields are real
In relation to (for example) EM? Sure. In relation to the human body? Citation, please.
- David Hume
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Number Six wrote:It's not too difficult to get an athlete endorsing a product like this, but why not a leading intellectual, a judge, scientist, politician, someone who's judgment is actually being weighed by his/her peers?

But I have known intelligent people resorting to magnet "therapy" and copper and other metal wristbands. Kinesiology probably has some merit, that's why I look for natural fabrics instead of synthetics. Energy fields are real, but overestimated and exploited by quacks and charlatans in comparison to human relationships, physical fitness, etc.. When I see an attractive woman with a piercing in her nose, multiple piercings in the ears and elsewhere, I wonder what kind of energy she is trying to draw to herself? If I were to wear an earing, or wrap something around my body I would try to get the best material, not some chinsy stuff that cheapens the good gifts that nature has given.

This is just another fad like crystals, pyramid power and dozens of others. Let's get on the band wagon.
The sole reason my ears are pierced has zilch to do with energy fields. I have some very fine earrings, and I used to lose them regularly before I went with pierced ears.
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Pierced ears are a long tradition. Numerous piercings in each ear up and down the rim, on the inner lobe, the nose, the eyebrow,nose, the belly button...you get the idea. I never saw that ten years ago.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Number Six wrote:Pierced ears are a long tradition. Numerous piercings in each ear up and down the rim, on the inner lobe, the nose, the eyebrow,nose, the belly button...you get the idea. I never saw that ten years ago.
Where were you ten years ago?

Piercings of all kinds have been around for centuries.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Energy fields are real
In relation to (for example) EM? Sure. In relation to the human body? Citation, please.[/quote]

For the sake of debate, I'll throw out Rupert Sheldrake's name and theory of morphogenetic resonance: http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/sci ... at-shl.htm

Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Number Six wrote:Pierced ears are a long tradition. Numerous piercings in each ear up and down the rim, on the inner lobe, the nose, the eyebrow,nose, the belly button...you get the idea. I never saw that ten years ago.
Where were you ten years ago?

Piercings of all kinds have been around for centuries.
But not so universal. I never used to see nose, tongue, eyebrow, belly button piercings. If I were to wear one, which I never will, I would wear gold or platinum, not chince.

fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

This Power Balance is just a new incarnation of the copper/magnet bracelets of about 20 years ago (John Wayne can be seen wearing a copper bracelet in his last movie). The twist here is that it's promoted with a cheap magician trick on TV commercials. It's the old "bet you can't budge me" trick - I forget the secret, I think it's total relaxation or slightly bending one's knees or something and even very strong men trying to leverage by pushing on your outstretched arm cannot move you, even if you're an 99 pound grandmother. I am going to assume that the celebrity endorsers were not let in on the secret.

I am extremely angry whenever I see such TV commercials .... because I didn't think of this rip-off first.

Another recent TV commercial touted "high-definition" sunglasses; evidently calling them "high def" was their only special characteristic.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Let us all do homage to Mr. Phineas T. Barnum.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Number Six wrote:
Number Six wrote:Energy fields are real
wserra wrote:In relation to (for example) EM? Sure. In relation to the human body? Citation, please.
For the sake of debate, I'll throw out Rupert Sheldrake's name and theory of morphogenetic resonance
For the sake of debate, I'll throw out the name Larsen E. Whipsnade and the Circus Giganticus. Hopefully neither of us is serious.
- David Hume
YAAFP
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by YAAFP »

A skeptic group has made available the "Placebo Band" for only AU$2.00. :D
http://skepticbros.com/placebo-bands/
Placebo Band features two eye catching holograms that not only attract and impress others but also remind you that you’re wearing Placebo Band long after the sensation on the wrist has subsided. Placebo Band uses two powerful, scientifically proven effects, the placebo effect (Placebo) and confirmation bias (Confirmation Bias), that, combined with a subtle alteration in your own activities, help to strengthen your own personal desired outcomes and even desired outcomes in others!
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The Placebo Band page describes (as The Deal) the trick used in the TV commercials for Power Balance. Apparently the celebrities were let in on the secret! I have not seen this TV commercial a second time, after nearly a month; perhaps Barnum was too optimistic.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Finally, an article about the Power Balance bracelet. It turns out that it doesn't have anything but a hologram (by which I think it means one of those shiny microgrooved stickers, not a bona fide laser projection):

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... er-pri.php
and
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ds-newsxml
wserra

Post by wserra »

Does that mean you doubt it works?

You're such a skeptic, fortinbras.
- David Hume
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

So amazing it's sold out! But they will be back, and for a tenth the cost of the price gouging Power Balance! Get it now, the Placebo Band!

http://skepticbros.com/tag/placebo-band/
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/01/24/33536.htm
LOS ANGELES (CN) - A federal class action claims Shaquille O'Neal and Lamar Odom endorse a bogus Power Balance "performance technology" bracelet that claims to "optimize the body's natural energy flow," and improve "strength, balance and flexibility." It's pure snake oil, says the class, which also sued Power Balance LLC and the men who run it, Josh and Tony Rodarmel and Keith Kato.
:brickwall:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three