Manatech execs plead guilty

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Manatech execs plead guilty

Post by Demosthenes »

Renton, WA, couple pleads guilty to tax fraud

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TACOMA, Wash. -- A Renton couple pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Tacoma today to income tax evasion and failure to file tax returns.

Denise Vance faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison, while her husband, Frederick, faces a two-year term.

Court documents say the Vances operated a multi-level marketing entity called Manatech which sold food supplements, vitamins and ointments and, then they utilized sham trusts to shield their income.

Federal prosecutors say the Vances evaded and failed to file tax returns for about $320,000 in income taxes. They say the taxes have been paid.

The Vances are scheduled to be sentenced by Judge Franklin Burgess on September 7th.
Stinky McGurk

Post by Stinky McGurk »

So just who are Denise & Frederick Vance?

They aren't listed on the management team - Our Management.

I see the article states "the Vances operated a multi-level marketing entity called Manatech" - past tense.

Did they sell the operation to Caster? :?:
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Apparently they were high-level distributors. It was probably more Denise's operation than Frederick's, which is likely why she pleaded to evasion (a felony) while he pleaded to two counts of failure to file (misdemeanors).

With them now being official tax cheats, so you think the FTC (see link above) will hurry up and approve the bizop rule?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Stinky McGurk

Post by Stinky McGurk »

Not only are this pair of distributors in trouble with the law, the CEO of the company, Sam Caster, is no stranger to the law either.

He's been busted by the AG's office before for past scams. Real interesting character if you dig a bit up about him!

Why do these companies always seem to drag God into their advertising to make themselves seem legit?

Craig & Jan Hill of Family Foundations International speak glowingly of Caster:

"We’re excited and honored to join together with Sam and Linda Caster to help make available to you resources and seminars that will help you, your family and your business. God has shown us through the Bible verse Jeremiah 6:16 that He has established ancient paths that, when we walk in them, make life work. We pray that these MannaLife materials and seminars will help you to achieve your full life purpose."

Right.

Be interesting to dig a bit on Family Foundations International and see just what they're up to! :lol:
wserra

Post by wserra »

It appears that Sam Caster once upon a time had a company called "Eagle Shield". Company info:
COMPANY INFORMATION

Name: EAGLE SHIELD, INC.
Address: PO BOX 534057
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75053

D&B DUNS: 15-759-8715

FILING INFORMATION

Identification Number: 0079848100
Filing Date: 05/27/1986
State of Incorporation: TEXAS
Date Incorporated: 05/27/1986
Duration: PERPETUAL
Status Attained Date: 02/14/2003
Corporation Type: PROFIT
Business Type: DOMESTIC CORPORATION
Address Type: MAILING

Where Filed: SECRETARY OF STATE
1019 BRAZOS ST
AUSTIN, TX 78701

REGISTERED AGENT INFORMATION

Name: WILLIAM H MILLARD
Address: 100 CRESCENT COURT, SUITE 630
DALLAS, TX

PRINCIPAL INFORMATION

Name: SAM CASTER
Title: PRESIDENT
Address: P O BOX 534057
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75053

Name: SAM CASTER
Title: DIRECTOR
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75053

Name: TOM LANG
Title: SECRETARY
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75053

Name: TOM LANG
Title: DIRECTOR
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75053

AMENDMENT INFORMATION

Amendments: 02/14/2003 MISCELLANEOUS TAX FORFEITURE
12/31/1994 MISCELLANEOUS PUBLIC INFORMATION REPORT (PIR)
08/28/1991 MISCELLANEOUS CHANGE OF REGISTERED AGENT/OFFICE
11/09/1988 MISCELLANEOUS CHANGE OF REGISTERED AGENT/OFFICE
05/27/1986 MISCELLANEOUS ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION

ADDITIONAL DETAIL INFORMATION

Additional Details: STATE TAXPAYER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER: 17521195713
As you can see, in 2003 it was obliterated (one of my kids and I watched "Yellow Submarine" last night, and I almost wrote "obluterated") for tax non-payment.

The Dallas Morning News reports that, not only is Mannatech currently (11-27-06) under investigation, but that Eagle Shield was busted for two false claims in the past: once for a supposed energy saving gizmo, and again for a pest-control gizmo.

This should not shock anyone.
- David Hume
Stinky McGurk

Post by Stinky McGurk »

And let's not forget the amazing ElectroCat - a device that emitted "pulsed" vibrations and could, according to the company, rid farms and homes "of roaches, spiders, crickets, fleas, ticks, ants, mice, rats, gophers, moles, and snakes. (I guess that's the "pest-control gizmo" you referred to).

Baloney, said the attorney generals office, noting that the ElectroCat emitted "no measurable vibrations, pulsed or otherwise," and had no measurable effect on mice or ugs. "The device is a hoax."

Got any dirt on Craig & Jan Hill and their Family Foundations International charity? :lol:
Shakespearegirl

Post by Shakespearegirl »

Well this is fun news.

Now has anyone heard an update about the case in California, the one where Mannatech was distributing that deceased boy's pictures?

I looked around, and as far as I can tell it looks to still be in court..?
wserra

Post by wserra »

Shakespearegirl wrote:Now has anyone heard an update about the case in California, the one where Mannatech was distributing that deceased boy's pictures?
The story is a whole lot more than that, SG. Making a long story short, these wonderful folks were using photos of the three-year-old boy, without the parents' permission, to show how well Mannatech stuff worked, after he had died. Read it yourself to decide how many levels of scumbag conduct these thieves committed.
I looked around, and as far as I can tell it looks to still be in court..?
Public companies (like Mannatech) have to report on such lawsuits in SEC filings. Mannatech settled it for $750K. Note to scumbag heads of scumbag MLMs: Don't go public.
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

Stinky McGurk wrote:Craig & Jan Hill of Family Foundations International speak glowingly of Caster
It's not very surprising - they're in business together. God will tell you how to be healthy, get out of debt, work and play well with others, give your breath a hint of minty freshness - just pay them. They give God a schmeer.
- David Hume
Shakespearegirl

Post by Shakespearegirl »

wserra -

yup. I knew all the scummy details on the Mannatech case because I read the whole thing last year - I was just (belatedly) looking for an update.

$750,000? Seems a bit low, if you ask me. And what I really want to know is how they played it off to the Mannatech sales force - how did they gloss over this settlement, so everyone could keep living in denial?
soapboxmom
Matriarch of the Networked Soap Sales

Post by soapboxmom »

Mrs. Scammer/Caster was one of the Millionaire Mentor speakers this past weekend in Dallas for the Advantage Conferences scamference. What else can we dig up on Sam Caster and the little lady? Since they are tied to Tim Darnell they must be some characters!

Soapboxmom
soapboxmom
Matriarch of the Networked Soap Sales

Post by soapboxmom »

I have tons of goodies landing in my box over yonder and a dear angel who is helping us bust the Advantage Conferences scam thought we all might enjoy this. Thank you to our angel!

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3228488&page=1

Soapboxmom