Iraqi dinar scam

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Iraqi dinar scam

Post by notorial dissent »

The short answer to your question is YES, this is a scam in that someone is trying to induce you in to doing something that is going to cost you money that you will NEVER EVER get back. Is it illegal, the short answer again, is NO, since trading in currency is legal, and there is nothing illegal about what they are suggesting, just gross dishonesty in that it will ever appreciate enough to make you anything off of it. In this case the only one who makes anything is the currency trader who gets their up front commission on the trade. They win by selling something no one with any sense wants, and you lose for having bought it and most likely will never be able to get rid of it short of going to the country and spending it, which would cost you more than the dinars would be worth at that point.

For a start you would be short about 4000 give or take dinars since the current exchange is in the neighborhood of 1170 to the dollar. If you really want to throw your money away, go buy them through a bank or registered currency trader.

Second have you really seriously thought about what he is asking you to invest in? I mean, come on, if you are serious about this I can get you some good prices on Afghani or Zimbabwean currency and then you really could be a millionaire, at least in paper, and you won’t be any the worse off, and actually the Afghani might come up past break even.

The most the dinar was ever worth was back in 1932 when it was worth about $5, probably because there were so few of them. Recently they haven’t been worth half that and had slipped in to the multiple decimal point range by 2003. The likelihood of them EVER appreciating enough to even recoup your purchase is at best slim, and at this point inflation will eat up any gains you make for the foreseeable future.

The only possibility of making any money off of this would be to buy them to either make book marks out of or for wallpaper, and I don’t think they are attractive enough for that, but that is the only way I can see of making any money out of investing in dinars.

So, unless you have lots of spare cash to toss away, I would recommend some other means of spending your money.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Notorial, that's a much better answer than the troll deserves.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
notorial dissent

True, but I was bored and I hadn't realized that this was one of the latest sure fire get rich quick schemes making the rounds. I couldn't believe the number of web sites there are out there pushing this nonsense. Like I said, the only better bet would be the Zimbabwean shin plasters making the rounds, and no is pretending they have or ever will have any value.

The best giggle was that not only were they cheating the sucker on the exchange but the exchange rate as well. Who says you can't get them coming and going?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

auntizeituni wrote:So it not illegal OK. I Asked some gobernment friends about dinar, two said they "heavily invested" waht? Said it currency speculaton not scam. So I buy some dinar from my friend. Thankin you help

Maybe you need to, 1: learn some grammar, because that looks like textbook 419 language, and 2: reread what Notorial Dissent wrote you.
Last edited by bmielke on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

bmielke wrote:
auntizeituni wrote:So it not illegal OK. I Asked some gobernment friends about dinar, two said they "heavily invested" waht? Said it currency speculaton not scam. So I buy some dinar from my friend. Thankin you help

Maybe you need to, 1: learns some grammar,
This broke my daily irony meter.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Dezcad wrote:
bmielke wrote:

Maybe you need to, 1: learns some grammar,
This broke my daily irony meter.
Sorry about the meter, I need to learns to proof read. (It was intentional this time)
notorial dissent

Since you obviously didn't read what I posted I can't much help where you ended up.

Have you figured out yet how much your "friend" screwed you on the exchange yet? If you posted accurate information to begin with, then you were screwed to the tune of about 4000 dinars. Now considering that the dinar is effectively worth less than a lot of the stuff listed on the pink sheets that isn't saying much, but it is the principal of the thing.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Sorry your veracity so poor! Big pile of what you call silver, rest of us call crap.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

auntizeituni wrote:no not screwed. I pay 19% premioum - not bad - cannot find better here. 100,000 dinar cost me one Hundred dollar and offical exchnge is $84. Dinar soom much higher, you see. Sorry my english to be making better.
Are you perhaps an Iraqi trying to do a massive pump and dump of your own currency?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Cathulhu wrote:Big pile of what you call silver, rest of us call crap.
This reminded me of that episode of Mythbusters where Jaime & Adam actually proved you can polish a turd to a glorious shine.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
notorial dissent

They would then, at least, have some value as opposed to what they currently are worth, and they are neither pretty nor interesting enough to make it as wall paper, so that pretty well limits your options.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Maybe these people could do something with them.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5768037/literally- ... an-princes
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

bmielke wrote:

Maybe you need to, 1: learn some grammar, because that looks like textbook 419 language, and 2: reread what Notorial Dissent wrote you.
Actually it's not a grammar problem, the poster is a racist pigphucker who is trying to make a joke about the President's family member whom a story appeared about the time that the dumbass started posting.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Gregg wrote:
bmielke wrote:

Actually it's not a grammar problem, the poster is a racist pigphucker who is trying to make a joke about the President's family member whom a story appeared about the time that the dumbass started posting.
Too right, on the ignore list it goes.

ETA: As an aside, I can see doing something like this once or twice to be funny. It's debateable whether or not it is funny, certainly the racial aspect isn't, but in a thread on the topic if done right it could be funny. But to keep going seven months later is just stupid.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Aside from that, the real Aunt Zeituni lives (still, as far as I know) a ten-minute drive away from my house, in a South Boston housing project which may have been state-of-the-art in the 1930s, when it was built, but attracts the low-rent crowd today. If Zeituni had the kind of money to speculate in ANYTHING, she'd be too wealthy to live in any of the project's units.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Actually the dinar scam is aimed exactly at people like that, it's real big on the trailer park and Jerry Springer crowd.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.