Irony meter test - 4/15 - tax preparer arrested

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Irony meter test - 4/15 - tax preparer arrested

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/f ... or-launde/
Steven Martinez, a former Internal Revenue Service agent who has been running a tax preparation business, was arrested today (April 15) and charged with 49 counts including mail fraud, aggravated identity theft, making false tax returns, and money laundering. The indictment charges Martinez with stealing more than $11 million in tax payments that should have been sent to the IRS.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
David Merrill

Re: Irony meter test - 4/15 - tax preparer arrested

Post by David Merrill »

You have to be careful out there. This guy is a banker with a Tax Preparation License!!

EDIT - by CaptainKickback 4/18: Removed image. David has it plastered everywhere and in terms of this thread, a non-sequitor. I am loath to weild power, and only do so after much thought and in a minimal manner.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

David Merrill wrote:You have to be careful out there. This guy is a banker with a Tax Preparation License!!

David, in all my years working in the financial sector, I have seen quite a few people like this who have absolutely no business handling other people's business or money. Often, they are insurance agents whose license allows them to give financial advice, trade in mutual funds, and the like; but what they do to people borders on the criminal -- and sometimes crosses the line. Most financial planners are good -- the one my wife uses is excellent; but some out there will take you for all you're worth. I hope that the feds nail this guy, and good.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

[off-topic gibberish removed]
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

David Merrill wrote:Because this Note:
Please stay on topic, David.
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I think that this is more a case of an IRS agent "going off the rails", so to speak. He isn't the first, and he won't be the last.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

From the article;
The indictment charges Martinez with stealing more than $11 million in tax payments that should have been sent to the IRS. Martinez would present his clients with completed tax returns and then persuade them to write checks payable to a trust account rather than to the IRS or California Franchise Tax Board.
Seriously. How did Martinez think he could get a way with that scheme?
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Probably long enough for him to park the money in some safe off-shore haven and then follow it there.

But, he got too greedy and didn't move fast enough.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Nikki wrote:Probably long enough for him to park the money in some safe off-shore haven and then follow it there.

But, he got too greedy and didn't move fast enough.
I think that's typical of con artists.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three