Oxygen

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Oxygen

Post by JamesVincent »

Found one that I hadnt seen before, selling..... air?

http://oxygen4energy.com/

Actually removed the cookies to get to the main website. But yeah, selling canned oxygen.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Oxygen

Post by Kestrel »

JamesVincent wrote:Found one that I hadnt seen before, selling..... air?

http://oxygen4energy.com/

Actually removed the cookies to get to the main website. But yeah, selling canned oxygen.
Old news. Canned goods. Bleagh.

Get yer fresh homemade oxygen here.

Bring friends and enjoy a choice of scents here. Today's hot scent is "Sex on the Beach."
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

With 50 hits of oxygen in each can, I wonder if you can get oxygen toxicity from it. That is, of course assuming that it's really 95% oxygen and not just regular air...or canned air. That last bit would be really bad.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

webhick wrote:With 50 hits of oxygen in each can, I wonder if you can get oxygen toxicity from it. That is, of course assuming that it's really 95% oxygen and not just regular air...or canned air. That last bit would be really bad.
Toxnet suggests that some respiratory irritation can result from sustained breathing of pure oxygen, but you would probably need more than is in the can.
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/s ... /~hnbTJA:1

Oxygen is far more fun as a liquid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EE7FjW5T7E
http://vimeo.com/12247068
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I use one of those fingertip blood-oxygen meters to check my circulation (because of heart disease) and I was always told that 95% is about the minimum safe mix; less oxygen in my system and I am seriously impaired. Even breathing pure oxygen from a professionally-loaded tank will not raise blood-oxygen appreciably above 97% - and that's about the safe maximum as much as the physical limit even breathing pure oxygen.
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Way back when in the Air Force, we'd get called to launch our airplanes at 0-dark-30 (way before dawn) so that we could be On Station somewhere over the ocean at sunrise. Needless to say, getting up at 1:45 AM had us bleary eyed and headachey.

100% O2 was the best way to get an early morning started. Just slap that oxygen mask on during the airplane preflight and breathe pure refreshment for about 15 minutes. Headache gone and wide awake in no time!
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote:assuming that it's really 95% oxygen and not just regular air
That is an interesting question, isn't it? They describe it as providing "Up to 50 shots of 95% Oxygen Enriched Air". Three is "up to 50", right? And, while I know what "95% oxygen" means, I don't know what "95% oxygen enriched air" means. The most grammatical meaning is "95% room air enriched with some unknown amount of oxygen, 5% something else".

Oxygen toxicity with this stuff - even if it is 95% oxygen - seems unlikely. It takes a couple of hours of breathing pure oxygen (even at pressures above atmospheric) to produce symptoms of pulmonary toxicity, the first symptoms to appear (there is also CNS toxicity, which generally appears later). There is another effect which is worth remarking on, however.

Y'know how many MLMs market superstuff that will supposedly make you live to 150 by eliminating every "free radical" (actually just a "radical" - an atom or group of atoms with unpaired electrons - which by definition is "free") in your body? Lots, right? And do you know what element is of most concern in the formation of radicals in the body? Here's a hint: two unpaired electrons, separate orbitals . . . ta-da, it's oxygen. There is even a term for the group of oxygen radicals - "reactive oxygen species". Now, many of the reactions which produce oxygen radicals (and which oxygen radicals produce) are essential to life. However, there is no question that an excess of oxygen radicals is toxic. By definition, they contain unpaired electrons, and are thus highly reactive - and will react in damaging ways as well as beneficial ways.

So, by breathing pure oxygen - which doesn't occur in nature and thus the human body did not evolve to consume - why are you not overloading the body's delicate balance of oxygen radicals on the toxic side? Answer: because you'll buy anti-oxidants (Get it? Anti-oxidants?) from another MLM! It's full employment for the MLM industry! Reminds me of George Carlin's "drug culture" routine: "Something wrong with you? Two in the mouth, son."

Now, in point of fact, it seems unlikely that you would hurt yourself by taking some whiffs of this stuff, and in situations such as Kestrel's it might make you feel better. But, without needing to look into it, I guarantee you can get oxygen cheaper elsewhere if you want it. Why? Because you always can get MLM products cheaper elsewhere. They actually put it pretty well on their site: "Earn profits through retail product sales. (Up to 99% markup)". Why would anyone with an IQ above room temperature pay a 99% markup?

Gotta pay that upline.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
ProfHenryHiggins
Distinguished Don of Ponzi Philology

Post by ProfHenryHiggins »

The first thing that went through my mind reading about this one?

"Funny, you don't look Druish."
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Normal, breathable air is only about 21% oxygen. So "air", as such, is NOT synonymous with oxygen as an element.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air

I am not sure what something that calls itself "95% oxygen-enriched air" really is. Is it ordinary air with perhaps a whopping 22% oxygen? If that unexplained 5% is someone's secondhand cigarette smoke, seems to me the net effect is not worth the money.
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

Yes "air" is 21% O2 but in order to maintain proper O2 sat how much oxygen do you absorb? Well since you can't store oxygen your Sat is indicative of how many O2 molecules are binding to the red blood cells (each cell can bind 4) At 1 atmosphere you will use bout 4-5% of the ambient O2
and exhale 16-17% along p 4% CO2 and a bunch of nitrogen, a tad of argon and whatever else is around Blood gases are complex and if you are not ill with COPD your body is pretty good at regulation; anyway you probably do not benefit from canned O2

as Kestrel said, some people who breathe positive pressure O2 will feel better (less hungover?)
I have read about "Boost Recreational Oxygen" and IMO it's BS
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

texino wrote:as Kestrel said, some people who breathe positive pressure O2 will feel better (less hungover?)
I have read about "Boost Recreational Oxygen" and IMO it's BS
It took several long minutes of breathing through the airplane's oxygen system before I got effective relief from fatigue and stress headaches.

The overpriced cans sold by this manufacturer provide only up to one minute of airflow, and that is delivered in short bursts of a only few seconds. It's useless.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I have heard of "oxygen bars" - supposedly in Tokyo and perhaps in NYC - where people with money they don't need will pay for the privilege of huffing on air masks connected to tanks of either pure oxygen or "mountain/forest/sea air" for about ten minutes. Considering how foul the air at street level in Tokyo and Manhattan actually is, this may not be entirely pointless.

My experience, and the experience of a few friends, who were hooked up to oxygen tanks in hospitals is that the oxygen provided some sort of feeling of wellbeing and alertness, but that may have been only psychological or at least a feeling without any actuality of wellbeing.
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

I dive with nitrox (N2/O2 mix) and I can tell you, the air "tastes" better. The feeling of well-being and energy from the extra O2 is very noticeable.
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

obadiah wrote:I dive with nitrox (N2/O2 mix) and I can tell you, the air "tastes" better. The feeling of well-being and energy from the extra O2 is very noticeable.
Well, O2 under pressure is going to give a higher content than 20% and it can definitely make you feel better- I know that mixed gas diving has positive benefits, but I would think it requires training to avoid O2 toxicity- I need to find out more- Also, the use of hyperbaric chambers in medical treatment (other than decompression sickness) is interesting i e CO poisoning and wound care for diabetics
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
Omne
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by Omne »

texino wrote:
obadiah wrote:I dive with nitrox (N2/O2 mix) and I can tell you, the air "tastes" better. The feeling of well-being and energy from the extra O2 is very noticeable.
Well, O2 under pressure is going to give a higher content than 20% and it can definitely make you feel better- I know that mixed gas diving has positive benefits, but I would think it requires training to avoid O2 toxicity- I need to find out more- Also, the use of hyperbaric chambers in medical treatment (other than decompression sickness) is interesting i e CO poisoning and wound care for diabetics
You need to be certified in mixed gas diving to get tanks filled. O2 toxicity is one of the main dangers. I like using it because I get more dive time.
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

Omne wrote: You need to be certified in mixed gas diving to get tanks filled. O2 toxicity is one of the main dangers. I like using it because I get more dive time.
Yup. I agree with the extra dive time.
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP