Phone calls from a "746" area code.

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Phone calls from a "746" area code.

Post by Famspear »

Over the past few months we have been getting phone calls at home from a number in the "746" area code. We see the number on the display on our phone, and we have never answered the phone on this. Whoever (or whatever) it is that is calling never leaves a message.

My understanding is that there is no such thing as a "746" area code, at least not in the U.S. or Canada.

I am very suspicious.

Does anyone know anything about this "746" area code?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Phone calls from a "746" area code.

Post by JamesVincent »

I had seen this one pop up before on my caller ID Fam and had never answered it either and never gotten a message. I know sometimes its poor practice for a business owner to NOT answer the phone but I know the area codes that my customers should be calling from and of course family and friends and if I dont recognize it, I dont answer it.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

I'm getting regular calls from scam artists who use Voice-over-IP and Black Box software that spoofs the caller number. Usually the caller ID reports a valid area code, but not always.

The ones calling me are probably not the same as those calling you, because mine use a different phone number every time. My roaches' calls always start with "this is your last opportunity to lower your credit card interest rate..."
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:...

Technologically speaking, the number you see displayed can be manipulated.

And depending on your service provider's willingness to acquiesce to what amounts to federal harvesting of call records, the real origin of the call might never be traced.

On the commercial side, spoofing is primarily a product of entities that want to hide behind the regulations - most often skip tracers and collectors who hire them.

On the prosecution side, you have to realize that while information obtained illegally can't be used as evidence, it will often point to things that can, and there is a market for such things.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Country code 746 is Bangladesh cellphones.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I've recently gotten some calls from the "999" area code, with the caller saying something like:
We have heard that your computer is hacking into our systems....
to which my immediate reply is
Unless you're a government agency [sometimes, unless you're a spy], you can't find my phone number from my computer's information or IP address. I think you're a fraud.
or
You're in violation of the "Do Not Call" regulations. Please do not call this number again, or you will be reported to the FBI.
or, sometimes, if I recognize the number as fake from the beginning,
Zyxxz police department. How can I help you?
(For those who are interested, area code 746 is an unassigned geographic area code, and 999 is reserved for expansion, possibly of the 900 services. Information courtesy nanpa.com )
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

You could answer the suspicious calls using a "voice changer" unit which can turn your voice into a monster growl or a voice at the other end of the spectrum. I tend to get calls from "charitable" organizations with official sounding names but which are probably mostly scams.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
steveosiris

Post by steveosiris »

If you are getting calls from this number, you may be getting scam calls from someone who is masking their real phone number, as this number is actually an area code from Bangladesh. If you are very annoyed, you could call your phone company and request to block this number. Hope this helps.
Famspear wrote:Over the past few months we have been getting phone calls at home from a number in the "746" area code. We see the number on the display on our phone, and we have never answered the phone on this. Whoever (or whatever) it is that is calling never leaves a message.

My understanding is that there is no such thing as a "746" area code, at least not in the U.S. or Canada.

I am very suspicious.