Take down the Tax Dodgers on FaceBook

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Take down the Tax Dodgers on FaceBook

Post by AFTP »

It's just getting started but it should be interesting.

http://www.facebook.com/events/148665735245803/
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Re: Take down the Tax Dodgers on FaceBook

Post by Cpt Banjo »

What really should be interesting is when the Los Angeles Dodgers send them a letter demanding they cease infringing the Dodgers' trademark.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

Whenever I hear the claim that a company making billions in profits did not pay anything in taxes, I just have to cry BULLSH*T. As they say on Wikipedia, citation needed. I am not doubting that Verizon made 32 billion in profits, or that it paid no income taxes. Instead I am doubting that the poster is telling even a fraction of the whole story.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Brandybuck wrote:Whenever I hear the claim that a company making billions in profits did not pay anything in taxes, I just have to cry BULLSH*T. As they say on Wikipedia, citation needed. I am not doubting that Verizon made 32 billion in profits, or that it paid no income taxes. Instead I am doubting that the poster is telling even a fraction of the whole story.
Its Facebook, what do you expect. I just got deleted and blocked by some woman because she posted a graph saying the US spent $683 billion on its defense budget for 2010, which is true, and China only $190 billion, which I have a real hard time believing. China has the largest standing Army in the world, I have a hard time believing they spend 1/4 of what we do. When I asked for sources I was basically told it was true 'cuz Ron Paul said it (remember these?). Then I was told defense over spending is the SOLE reason we have the deficit we have. The SOLE and ONLY reason. Not unbelievably expensive welfare programs, not stupid supposed reform programs that dont work, defense programs. That $683 billion by itself caused $30 trillion in debt. So yeah, if its on Facebook, have fun with it.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

JamesVincent wrote:Its Facebook, what do you expect. I just got deleted and blocked by some woman because she posted a graph saying the US spent $683 billion on its defense budget for 2010, which is true, and China only $190 billion, which I have a real hard time believing.
She might be right! While I don't have their current 2012 budget, that amount of disparity is consistent with prior budgets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_b ... c_of_China
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Brandybuck wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:Its Facebook, what do you expect. I just got deleted and blocked by some woman because she posted a graph saying the US spent $683 billion on its defense budget for 2010, which is true, and China only $190 billion, which I have a real hard time believing.
She might be right! While I don't have their current 2012 budget, that amount of disparity is consistent with prior budgets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_b ... c_of_China
Right is relative when you refuse to provide sources and answer with 'cuz. You spent more time looking for answers then she did and would probably actually look at the fact that there is a big difference between what the "official" statement is and what our and others estimate what they spend is. And, knowing China, all of us could be wrong and it may very well be higher then that. I dont mind a debate Brandy, I mind someone who knows they are right and you are stupid because you dont agree with them. Like I said, China is pretty stuck on advertising themselves as having the largest standing army in the world, it costs money to feed.

Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

JamesVincent wrote:the fact that there is a big difference between what the "official" statement is and what our and others estimate what they spend is.
Yet none of the unofficial estimates is even half of what we spend. You may want to believe that they spend more than us, but there is not one shred of evidence that they do.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Brandybuck wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:the fact that there is a big difference between what the "official" statement is and what our and others estimate what they spend is.
Yet none of the unofficial estimates is even half of what we spend. You may want to believe that they spend more than us, but there is not one shred of evidence that they do.
Still not the point. YOU researched it and actually debated it. She said it was so just 'cuz Ron Paul's little graph said it was so. YOU provided a source, which was a wiki link, knowing wiki would be sourced. She provided a graph with no names, no sources indicated, no names attached but credited it to Ron Paul. I could care less whether its true or not, I know what we spend, I know what we spend it on, I was in the military and I have an idea what we can cut back on and what we shouldnt. I also know cutting the defense budget will NOT solve a $30 trillion deficit by any stretch of the imagination and theres a whole lot more wrong then whether or not we spend more then China in defense. And the only thing I said I believe is that they spend more then what they say they do, which is what DoD also says, not that they spend more then us. I quite frankly think we spend more then any one in the world for a total defense budget.

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I wouldn't have even looked at those numbers funny, I'm if anything surprised that they're that close to us. Aside from paying soldiers more than $70 a month our military has a lot of very high tech and thus VERY expensive weapons systems. And that's just the legitimate reason we spend so much. Sad to say, a very large part of our defense budget is, if not wasted. at least sepnt on things we don't need, have more political than military value or both. And the defense budget is fraction of what it was (by % of spending) not so long ago.

The last rational administration in regards to the defense budget was Eisenhower, and if people would look beyond his farewell address to the way he actually managed the military, more of them would realize that.

And right is never relative. If you're right, you're right, even if you're just showing that a blind pig can find an acorn in the mud sometimes.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.