Chance to stop a scam and nobody will stop it

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Jabrjo

Chance to stop a scam and nobody will stop it

Post by Jabrjo »

This has to be the most annoying thing I have ever tried to do. We always get emails from someone trying to order from us and we can spot the scams right away. Bad grammar, ALL CAPS, phony looking names, etc... They always say they want a huge order and ask the prices which are on our website (another tip off) and they ask which credit cards we take (also on our website).
This was the first time they gave a US address, but they wanted to know if they could have the order picked up. I checked the name and address I was given and it belongs to a 71 year old man, but of course the phone numbers didn't match up. The real number was disconnected. I called the number they gave me which had an extension. Some young foreign guy answered and I asked who I was speaking to and they could barely say in English the person's name. I called the Wyoming Sheriff's department to let them know that one of their resident's identity was in risk. They didn't seem to care. They just gave the number for the Attorney General. I tried calling them, but they didn't care either. Since I couldn't contact the person getting ripped off. I was trying to get someone who could to let this person know that someone had his information. It probably wouldn't do any good to try and play the scam through, because they would just send some trucking company to pick the order up.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Chance to stop a scam and nobody will stop it

Post by webhick »

Jabrjo wrote:I was trying to get someone who could to let this person know that someone had his information.
Use's Anywho's search by address feature to contact a neighbor.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Jabrjo

Post by Jabrjo »

I had the person's address already. That's how I found out he was 71 years old. I even gave that information to his local police and sheriff departments and they weren't willing to go tell the guy he was being ripped off.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Jabrjo wrote:I had the person's address already. That's how I found out he was 71 years old. I even gave that information to his local police and sheriff departments and they weren't willing to go tell the guy he was being ripped off.
That's why I said to use Anywho's address feature to contact a neighbor. You can use it to plug in addresses around his and hopefully hit a valid phone number of a neighbor who can go knock on his door and tell him what's up.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Jabrjo

Post by Jabrjo »

Thank you. I was able to contact a neighbor. Looking at the map, he only had one close neighbor, but they had a valid phone number and they said they would let him know.