Taxes and the stripped cyclist

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Taxes and the stripped cyclist

Post by Number Six »

If that and other in depth stories of Armstrong's doping doesnt't shock and surprise the average American, there is something wrong, Captain.

'All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer'.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Taxes and the stripped cyclist

Post by Lambkin »

Well it certainly is disturbing, but for it to be shocking would imply that it was a surprise, which for me it was not. The signs were there for more than a decade. It was clear to me since at least 2001 that Armstrong was a narcissistic tool and a bully (every time he opened his mouth), the sporting performances were not believable, and large numbers of his former teammates were busted for doping after they left the Armstrong/Bruyneel teams. Reports of doping (absent a positive test) can always be derided as rumours but they are more accurately described as the tip of the iceberg: it's always worse than you know.

As for Lance's cancer story, I wouldn't be surprised if the aggressive growth of his tumors was hastened by chronic EPO abuse, which has been described as "Miracle-Gro for cancer".

The shocking thing to me is that despite the loss of endorsements and the possibility that he will have to return some of his winnings, he's still able to brush it off and laugh all the way to the bank - sitting on over $100m.