Pre-paid Legal Enrollment Deterrent?

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Pre-paid Legal Enrollment Deterrent?

Post by Kestrel »

I took over the bookkeeping for a small business, and noticed that several employees had optional payroll deductions for AFLAC and Legal Shield (Pre-paid Legal). Apparently the employer had allowed a salesman to pitch the employees, and agreed to make payroll deductions for the buyers. A quick google search reveals that there are a lot of AFLAC salesmen who also pitch PPL, although I have no idea whether these were bundled here.

Now I know that people have the right to sign stupid contracts and buy overpriced worthless products. I'm just bothered that financially unsophisticated people were taken advantage of through the cooperation of an unsuspecting employer.

Any thoughts about what I might say when renewal season rolls around?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Pre-paid Legal Enrollment Deterrent?

Post by The Observer »

Kestrel wrote:Any thoughts about what I might say when renewal season rolls around?
"Would you be interested in giving yourself more take-home pay?"
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Kestrel wrote:Apparently the employer had allowed a salesman to pitch the employees, and agreed to make payroll deductions for the buyers.
Hopefully that's all it was, and the employer isn't getting a schmeer. You might point out that that would be bad.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

wserra wrote:Hopefully that's all it was, and the employer isn't getting a schmeer. You might point out that that would be bad.
I haven't seen a kickback. There probably isn't one, but I'll keep my eye out for it. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a website which does a legitimate analysis of the real "value" (or lack thereof) of PPL / Legal Shield from they buyer's standpoint? That's the sort of information I'd like to make available to the employees.

Most of what I know about this company comes from the seller's standpoint, having seen firsthand a certain MLM-crazed friend who spewed all the squirrely selling tactics PPL sent him, then got burned when he didn't maintain "production" quotas.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

In some states, it's illegal to deduct anything but taxes and the standard insurance/retirement/garnishment stuff - even if the employee agrees to it.

Call up the labor board and check to see if this kind of deduction is even legal.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

webhick wrote:In some states, it's illegal to deduct anything but taxes and the standard insurance/retirement/garnishment stuff - even if the employee agrees to it.

Call up the labor board and check to see if this kind of deduction is even legal.
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

The company is in Florida. The only thing I found on a web-search (DOL is closed at this hour) was an unofficial website with the comment, "Florida does not have any laws regarding what deductions may or may not be taken from an employees paycheck or whether an employee must provide written consent prior to any deduction."
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Well, it appears that in my state it is legal so long as the employee has given written consent, deductions are documented properly and the employer receives no benefit.

The employer may not get a visible kickback, but may get a discount off his own fees for each employee he has signed up. In which case, it would violate my state's laws. I never thought that Florida would be less documented than frickin' NH.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie