IRS Star Trek Video

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

IRS Star Trek Video

Post by AFTP »

My tax dollars at work.
I'll bet 100 Quatloos Captain this will suck!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=hp_c2
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: IRS Star Trek Video

Post by The Observer »

The really bad thing about the video is that the cast was made up of IRS executives and their staff.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

At least Social Security has decent videos. Have you ever seen the ones they did with Patty Duke? They did one that spoofed Star Trek but it had Patty Duke and George Takei is it was all good.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I feel that "sucks" is insufficient, by an order of magnitude, for describing this video. A giant black hole eating the center of a galaxy doesn't suck as much as this does.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

As usual these snafus get blown out of proportion. It cost less than $100K? Are we such immature imbeciles that we still regard the government as the problem not as a force for reform and as a catalyst for transformation?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Although "sucks" is an understatement, I can appreciate the IRS not wanting to send all their employees to Anaheim. Disneyland cannot fit within the per diem. (Even the food at Disneyland won't fit within the per diem.)

Seriously, a good training video can save expenses while having only a minimal reduction in training efficiency.
I've met good trainers and seen good training videos. This is not a good training video.
Where is Famspear when you need him? This deserves a limerick; it couldn't be any worse than the video.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Arthur Rubin wrote:Where is Famspear when you need him? This deserves a limerick; it couldn't be any worse than the video.
Boy, you guys really know how to encourage the budding creativity of a senstive, young poet. I know you're trying to get me to streeeeeeetch myself artistically.

:lol:

I'm thinking that Gene Roddenberry must be rolling over in his grave.

The Saturday Night Live spoof of Star Trek was funny, and how many movies have been made?

But this IRS video might be the last straw -- the one that finally kills the Star Trek franchise.

:cry: :cry:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Oh, this pond'rously awful depiction
Is the nadir of all science fiction.
This attempt at Star Trek
Is the worst kind of dreck;
I don't think I will see contradiction.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Famspear wrote:Oh, this pond'rously awful depiction
Were you going all out for your 5,000th post? Happy quintiversary! I made that word up.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
rickey.hirano

Post by rickey.hirano »

I also feel that it the bad thing about the video is that the cast was made up of IRS executives and their staff.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Strange as it might seem, that is FAR from the poorest trsining video IRS has ever made.

Back in the good old days (before CGI and other neat tools were invented) the videos consisted of an IRS "Subject Matter Expert" sitting behind a desk and reading (actually droning) a prepared script. They were lethal. The audience survival rate was less than 50%.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

AndyK wrote:Strange as it might seem, that is FAR from the poorest trsining video IRS has ever made.

Back in the good old days (before CGI and other neat tools were invented) the videos consisted of an IRS "Subject Matter Expert" sitting behind a desk and reading (actually droning) a prepared script. They were lethal. The audience survival rate was less than 50%.
Speaking as a lifetime insomniac, I recall those fondly. NOTHING has ever put me to sleep faster.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

It turns out that this StarTrek parody is giving the IRS a terrible headache. This video was cooked up in 2010 and now Congress (and the press) is bitching that it is a TERRIBLE waste of taxpayer money (for one thing, it teaches hardly any sort of information -- unlike a tolerated IRS Gilligan's Island parody). I cannot guess the cost of the video but, if IRS people constructed the sets and costumes, it probably cost less than the agency's Christman parties. Compared to some other videos that corporations/organizations have cooked up, I think this is pretty clever, but the IRS has been beaten into apologizing for it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Burnaby49 wrote:
Famspear wrote:Oh, this pond'rously awful depiction
Were you going all out for your 5,000th post? Happy quintiversary! I made that word up.
Thanks. Wow. Five thousand posts. No wonder I feel tired.

Oh, wait, no. I just forgot to take my Geritol.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Were it not for the totals being reset after our friend Mr. Merrill was finally shown the gate, I might be closing in on that august total, if not past it....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Number Six wrote:As usual these snafus get blown out of proportion. It cost less than $100K? Are we such immature imbeciles that we still regard the government as the problem not as a force for reform and as a catalyst for transformation?
How was this blown out of proportion? The video was not for training purposes and both the IRS and others agree that this video should have never been made. The cost ($60,000) was a waste of taxpayer money. When the government is causing problems like this, it is removing its ability to be a force for reform and transformation.
AndyK wrote:Strange as it might seem, that is FAR from the poorest trsining video IRS has ever made.
It wasn't a training video. So it can't be even considered in that category.
AndyK wrote:Back in the good old days (before CGI and other neat tools were invented) the videos consisted of an IRS "Subject Matter Expert" sitting behind a desk and reading (actually droning) a prepared script.
Please. There have been live IRS classroom sessions that exhibited that same practice. Nothing worse than an "experienced" instructor reading the material out of the book.
fortinbras wrote:It turns out that this StarTrek parody is giving the IRS a terrible headache. This video was cooked up in 2010 and now Congress (and the press) is bitching that it is a TERRIBLE waste of taxpayer money (for one thing, it teaches hardly any sort of information -- unlike a tolerated IRS Gilligan's Island parody).
Hardly any information taught? Try no information was taught. It was an entertainment introduction to the SB/SE manager's meeting. So it was a waste of taxpayer's money.
fortinbras wrote:I cannot guess the cost of the video...
Don't have to guess, the IRS has already confirmed to Congress that the video was made for $60,000.
fortinbras wrote:but...it probably cost less than the agency's Christman [sic] parties.
Really? Do you actually believe that the IRS has official funding for Christmas parties? Do you have a cite for that? Or are you just pulling that out of thin air?
fortinbras wrote:Compared to some other videos that corporations/organizations have cooked up, I think this is pretty clever, but the IRS has been beaten into apologizing for it.
As well they should be. This is the exact kind of thing that gets government agencies into trouble when they take liberties with their funding and get off the beaten path. Especially when Congress is looking to cut budgets every chance they get.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Average crappy movie on SyFy probably has a running time of 90 minutes..ish and a cost (highballing here) of $2m.

IRS Movie costs $10k per minute to make.
Bad SyFy movie costs $20k per minute to make.

Congratulations, IRS, you managed to make a movie for 1/2 the cost of a bad made-for-TV movie with less than a quarter of the quality.

I'm waiting for their next venture: "Monster Guru VS Mega-Cheat: A Romantic Interlude of Epic Proportions."
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

There is NO budget for IRS Christmas or any other parties that I know of; the employees pass the hat for the traditional end-of-filing season party for the toll-free hotline or for retirement parties. As to budget stupidities, the biggest one I ever saw was when Mark Everson (during his brief tenure before his sexual indiscretions brought him down) sent each and every IRS employee a Christmas greeting with his picture on it. In color. (One person said it cost about 50k, but I cannot confirm that.) Some may still be used as dartboards by old-timers. What truly amuses me is that the wife he was cheating on (who has divorced him now) was an ethics adviser to the Bush administration. (Sure, George, you don't really need a court order for a wiretap!)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

During college, several friends and I made a movie about Nixon invading Canada, complete with Mounties and moose.

It was better than this.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote:During college, several friends and I made a movie about Nixon invading Canada, complete with Mounties and moose.
Did anyone's sister get bitten by the møøse?