Fake MLM Opportunity

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Fake MLM Opportunity

Post by webhick »

I've thought about this for years and the more I think about it, the more is sounds like a good idea.

What if someone set up a fake MLM? It would consist of just a website with all the usual sales pitches. We would even "sell" a phony product. Something that had all the usual markers for a MLM product. There'd be a compensation plan posted so it looks completely "open." Even fake testimonials, etc.

But then they'd go to order one of the starter packages or the product. Maybe even go so far as to allow them to try to enter a credit card number (I'm thinking it'd lock them out after entering the first four digits so there's no risk of credit card fraud accusations). Then it'd hit them with the reality - they fell for a typical illegal MLM pitch. And then it would tell them why their decision to order would leave them worse off financially.

It wouldn't happen anytime soon, but I thought it be fun to kick the ball around a bit.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Fake MLM Opportunity

Post by JamesVincent »

It sounds like a hoot Web but how far from false advertising would that hit? I could see some yahoo trying to sue you since you did not follow through with your great plan.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick

Post by webhick »

JamesVincent wrote:It sounds like a hoot Web but how far from false advertising would that hit? I could see some yahoo trying to sue you since you did not follow through with your great plan.
Since they wouldn't be allowed to pay for anything, it'd be hard for them to prove damages.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

webhick wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:It sounds like a hoot Web but how far from false advertising would that hit? I could see some yahoo trying to sue you since you did not follow through with your great plan.
Since they wouldn't be allowed to pay for anything, it'd be hard for them to prove damages.
Proven damages or no, someone must pay for their hurt feelings. :violin:
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
louie24

Post by louie24 »

That is a very evil plan but it sounds funny when i think about it. Lol
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Have you thought about what kind of "product" your MLM will sell? Magic beans?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I was thinking of sure-fire, no-can-lose, super-duper sovereign de-taxation kits, which are guaranteed to work (unlike all the others, THIS one uses all of the magic legal words and incantations CORRECTLY).
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Cathulhu wrote:Have you thought about what kind of "product" your MLM will sell? Magic beans?
SPECIAL magic beans with testemonials from impossible-to-identify people (accompanied by pictures copied from the Web) about how their gout, cancer, paralysis, obesity, ... (you pick it) was cured
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
webhick

Post by webhick »

De-tax package can be one.

I was thinking that nutritional products seem to be really big right now, so that's probably going to be a big "seller." One would have to be "marketed" as a super supplement. The description would have to tout its amazingly high levels of some made-up herbs which cure common symptoms of life. Like fatique, stress, arthritis, overreating, water retention, acne, bad hair, erectile dysfunction, brain farts, etc
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

webhick wrote:De-tax package can be one.

I was thinking that nutritional products seem to be really big right now, so that's probably going to be a big "seller." One would have to be "marketed" as a super supplement. The description would have to tout its amazingly high levels of some made-up herbs which cure common symptoms of life. Like fatique, stress, arthritis, overreating, water retention, acne, bad hair, erectile dysfunction, brain farts, etc
Good idea. Tonight, I'll get to work with some empty gelatin capsules, glucose, some baking soda, some cayenne pepper powder and some powdered charcoal.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

webhick wrote:De-tax package can be one.

Just edit down some of Erasmus's blatherings, especially the Vatican Bread.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

I'll take the one that cures brain farts please.

littleroundman

Post by littleroundman »

webhick wrote: I was thinking that nutritional products seem to be really big right now, so that's probably going to be a big "seller." One would have to be "marketed" as a super supplement. The description would have to tout its amazingly high levels of some made-up herbs which cure common symptoms of life. Like fatique, stress, arthritis, overreating, water retention, acne, bad hair, erectile dysfunction, brain farts, etc
You forgot the "as used for thousands of years by the Lost Tribes of the Amazon" MLM deal sealer.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Cathulhu wrote:Have you thought about what kind of "product" your MLM will sell? Magic beans?
One of the products I use quite a bit trying to help customer's yards is called Magi-Cal. I tried to tell someone to buy it one time and it degenerated into him telling me that maybe I should buy magic beans instead of a magic cow.

Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

littleroundman wrote:
webhick wrote: I was thinking that nutritional products seem to be really big right now, so that's probably going to be a big "seller." One would have to be "marketed" as a super supplement. The description would have to tout its amazingly high levels of some made-up herbs which cure common symptoms of life. Like fatique, stress, arthritis, overreating, water retention, acne, bad hair, erectile dysfunction, brain farts, etc
You forgot the "as used for thousands of years by the Lost Tribes of the Amazon" MLM deal sealer.
Also add something like "and suppressed by Big Pharma".
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Oh yes, "The product your doctor doesn't want you to know about!"
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Claim that it cures stupid. No one will demand their money back.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

GREAT!!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

How about a product guaranteed to raise the customer's IQ to the level that they'll eventually discover they've been scammed? :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Don't do the tax advice, do a juice drink concentrate that works out to a final retail price of about $35 a gallon. I'm always amazed by the people who raise the roof over $4 gas who then pay ten times that for a off flavor cranberry juice.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.