Definition of "residence" for IRS purposes

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Definition of "residence" for IRS purposes

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Without delving into tax matters I'm unfamiliar with and missing some un-cross-referenced statute or ruling, how does the IRS determine the state of residence for people who live in multiple states and/or are literally living on the road?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Definition of "residence" for IRS purposes

Post by wserra »

See 26 CFR § 1.121-1(b). Beyond that, I have no idea.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

I'm not sure if this is pertains to the situation you are asking about, but there are a number of cases that basically say that for purposes of deducting travelling expenses while away from home, a taxpayer who has no fixed place of residence and is constantly on the move has no tax home, and thus may not deduct meals and lodging.

N. Lewis, 13 TCM 1167, Dec. 20,728(M), TC Memo. 1954-233.

T.V. Osburn, 17 TCM 310, Dec. 22,933(M), TC Memo. 1958-63.

W.J. Fisher, CA-7, 56-1 USTC P 9258, 230 F2d 230.

G.H. James, CA-9, 62-2 USTC P 9735, 308 F2d 204.

H.C. Deneke, 42 TC 981, Dec. 26,942.

J. Rauchwerger, 37 TCM 758, Dec. 35,147(M), TC Memo. 1978-177.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Most of what you're asking is answered in IRS Publication 17.

When the person constantly on the move is an interstate truck driver, aircrew member, or railroad worker, there are special rules.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Without delving into tax matters I'm unfamiliar with and missing some un-cross-referenced statute or ruling, how does the IRS determine the state of residence for people who live in multiple states and/or are literally living on the road?
The IRS doesn't care about the state of residence. In context, I think you are asking about "tax home", which the other posters have described fairly well.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

wserra wrote:See 26 CFR § 1.121-1(b). Beyond that, I have no idea.
Thanks, wes - from that the definition is:
... relevant factors in determining a taxpayer's principal residence, include, but are not limited to
(i) The taxpayer's place of employment;
(ii) The principal place of abode of the taxpayer's family members;
(iii) The address listed on the taxpayer's federal and state tax returns, driver's license, automobile registration, and voter registration card;
(iv) The taxpayer's mailing address for bills and correspondence;
(v) The location of the taxpayer's banks; and
(vi) The location of religious organizations and recreational clubs with which the taxpayer is affiliated.
In this situation,
(i) Retired for a number of years
(ii) Scattered in several states
(iii) They're trying to decide;
(iv) & (v) Multiple
(vi) The only affiliation is with a religion that has widespread membership & locations.

The issues don't involve travel expenses, simply trying to decide if one primary residence is the best idea or can they take advantage of residence determinations for tax and insurance purposes.

Thanks again.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

FWIW, he/they can do what a lot of retirees did back when I was working the financial industry, and claim FL, or TX now as well I believe, since they have no income tax and the estate taxes are/were supposedly mild. Unless things have changed dramatically, one thing they will have to execute at some point is an affidavit of domicillary(I think that's how its spelled), we used to have pads of them we sent out for customers. The main reason at the time was income and estate taxes, since the Fed taxes will hit you regardless. It is much better to have something like that done before you get into the estate situation or all the jurisdictions can come at you.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Individual States may also have programs to determine where a person is domiciled. AFAIK, California actually counts days of presence when a highly-compensated individual is claiming residence in (no State income tax) Nevada. I have heard that California has a $200,000 TAX minimum for challenging domicile. Look at the requirements of the potentially conflicting states.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

There are lots of people avoiding (evading?) taxes through the on the road gambit. A family I knew had family in Vermont, mooched off them, used FMCA for mail forwarding purposes, had Tennessee plates on their bus, no insurance, lived out of flea markets and later sweet talked a wealthy Southern gentleman into mooching off him by "caretaking" (trashing/hoarding) up a "campground" he owned. And that seems to be the pattern with a certain number of the scofflaws..... Mooch/con/rip-off and then move on to new suckers. Tough for the tax authorities to keep track of them, let alone fine/levy/lien sly travelers.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

On a more serious note in regard state "residency" or "domiciliary", due to different rules, it's possible for someone to be a resident of no states, or of two or more states. (see WP:BEANS as a reason why I don't go into details about "no" states, although it's clear you have be domiciled somewhere.)

As a subtle example, a trust managed in California, but with only Indiana trustees and beneficiaries, is not subject to state tax, even though both California and Indiana have state income tax which applies to trusts.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I think my head is about to explode. :thinking:

How does one become a resident of no states? Move to DC? :shock:
The Devil Makes Three
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:How does one become a resident of no states? Move to DC? :shock:
:) The concepts of "residence" and "domicile" are complicated legal concepts. A quick summary is that a domicile is the place where you live, and intend to return, but once a domicile is established, it doesn't become disestablished until you establish another one.

(As an aside, suppose you are born to transient parents. Is your domicile their domicile, even though you never lived there?)

A "residence" is the place where you live. However, if you are a transient, it may not provide residency for tax purposes

Most states specify that if you are domiciled there, or if you are resident there for a majority of the tax year (with some exceptions for temporary residences with a specific return date), then you are a resident for tax purposes. I don't know of an exception for the "domicile"*; but, if there is one, or if my "aside" leads to more anomalies, then you might not be resident anywhere for tax purposes.

Actually, I do recall an exception for "domicile". California provides that if you are absent from the state for 546 days on a (single) employment-related contract, then you are not a resident for tax purposes, unless you have at more than $200,000 in "intangible income" in a tax year, or your purpose is tax avoidance. The conclusion is obvious, but any employment-related income is also taxed where you earned it, regardless of residence.

... on the road again ...
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: wrong legal term, copyedit

Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

They even got Thoreau for tax evasion though he was basically a transient....
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)