One from Down Under - William Murphy

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean, ArthurWankspittle

Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

One from Down Under - William Murphy

Post by Dai Kiwi »

Now here's a nice Kiwi bloke: William John Murphy.

In his latest escapades he robbed and assaulted a number of elderly women in the greater Auckland area, in some cases apparently gaining entry to their houses by claiming to be a plain clothes/undercover policeman. Murphy was arrested in June, crashing a stolen car after attempting to escape police then doing a runner through a mangrove swamp.

So far so normal... for certain values of normal.

Things took an unusual turn when Murphy appeared in the Auckland District Court by video-link from prison on 18 September. Facing some 20 charges, he refused to confirm his name. He faxed a letter to the court saying he was now Rangatira Wiremu Murphy. He denied he was the same person as the man charged with the assaults earlier this year, saying: "The capitalised entity that's on the charge documents is not me". Murphy represented himself after his legal aid lawyer was given leave to withdraw. Murphy also insisted he wanted time to "gain the right legal advice from somebody that's going to listen to my arguments".
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11126535

It appears that he is actually calling himself Rangatira-Wiremu:Murphy©
(Rangatira means Chief in Maori, Wiremu is the Maori version of William)

At his next appearance on 25 September Mr Murphy continued to represent himself and the court appointed an amicus curiae for him. Mr Murphy had instructed "He does not believe that there is a lawyer that can represent him any better than he can himself."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11129969

Mr Murphy's conversion to the strange-name crowd does not seem to be one of long standing. I suspect that during his time in custody he has been influenced by various people. It will be interesting to see if he continues to hold his beliefs as the case approaches trial, which will probably not be until early next year, and which variations on the theme he attempts to put forward.

Mr Murphy has a prior history of violent and sexual offences going back over the past 18 years, since he was a teenager. Apparently he missed being sentenced to preventative detention by a whisker the last time around. He may not see outside of the prison yard for a long time.
http://www.safe-nz.org.nz/sxdb/murphywilliam.htm
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: One from Down Under - William Murphy

Post by wserra »

Dai Kiwi wrote:Now here's a nice Kiwi bloke: William John Murphy.
He faxed a letter to the court saying he was now Rangatira Wiremu Murphy.
(Rangatira means Chief in Maori, Wiremu is the Maori version of William)
I take it that William John Murphy is one of the County Donegal Maori.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Hey, if you're going aboriginal, go all the way. I wonder what the traditional maori punishment for assault and robbing the elderly is.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Dai Kiwi »

grixit wrote:Hey, if you're going aboriginal, go all the way. I wonder what the traditional maori punishment for assault and robbing the elderly is.
Never let it be said I don't answer an offhand comment with a legitimate reply. :)
However, I am going on memory.

Pre-European Maori society was tribal (Clan) based. Close examples would be England prior to Alfred the Great or mediaeval Scotland. Depending if you - or the victims - were commoner or nobility then death, or outlawing if lucky, would be the result.

In a strongly clan-based society, where each hapu (sub-tribe) has blood or marriage ties to most of the surrounding groups, and may be in an inimical relationship remaining ones, being outlawed is effectively a death sentence.

If the victims were from another group then something similar to weregild applied. And if you or your kin couldn't pay up...
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

What a lovely person. You know, we're having quite a string of these 'characters' this last couple weeks. One could almost imagine a vast dark design, deploying false-flag agents across the globe.

Or that persons with such undesirable traits are going to grab at any cop-out excuse that they can find.

Dai Kiwi - do you think the authorities and court have an idea of what Mr. Murphy is trying to do? I'm not sure if appointing an amicus really is all that useful. It certainly seems the news reporters are, at best, confused.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Dai Kiwi »

Murphy was in court again today.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/9 ... appearance
The more minor charges - stolen car, failure to stop for police, etc - have been severed off for separate hearing. He continued to maintain that he was not William Murphy, that he could represent himself better than any lawyer, that he did not understand the system. He declined the opportunity to reapply for legal aid. The court has entered deemed 'not guilty' pleas on those minor charges. The amicus advised the court he has been providing Mr Murphy with copies of legislation and UN declarations.

Möwe - I don't think the news reporters have worked out where Murphy is coming from yet, however <clickety-clickety> I'm sure they will shortly. The amicus probably has. He's an experienced barrister who has also previously been a Crown prosecutor. He will have spoken to the accused at some length. Not sure about the prosecution or Judge, it depends on what's been said in Court beyond what's reported.

In situations where you have a defendant who is facing serious charges who insists on representing themselves despite issues such as mental stability, eccentric beliefs, etc. Or who has burned through so many lawyers that no-one will touch them, or who's instructions simply cannot be accepted/followed by a lawyer, then appointment of an amicus is prudent. While not representing the person they will still provide advice, can do some work in steering them on to the path or curbing their worst excesses and in some cases will make their own submissions alongside that of the accused. Its better than nothing, and it means that some doors may not be open if the person chooses to appeal the conviction or sentence later on.
At least Murphy hasn't found a 'McKenzie Friend' of the same outlook as him. Or not yet anyway.

Dai Kiwi
Backo
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Backo »

I think if the Court permitted a McKenzie Friend of the same persuasion the permission would be revoked as soon as the friend opened their mouth.
Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Dai Kiwi »

After a jury trial William John Murphy was found guilty of 15 charges in the Auckland District Court today. He had previously given up trying to run a 'Maori Sovereignty' type of defence and got a proper lawyer.

While none of the individual charges carry a maximum sentence of more than 10 or 14 years imprisonment, the Crown is seeking 'preventative detention' based on the pattern of offending and his previous history - i.e. an indefinite, open ended sentence.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6 ... e-attacker
Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Dai Kiwi »

William Murphy's last FoTL-type action was an unsuccessful application challenging jurisdiction shortly before trial, which was dismissed in short terms by the judge (unpublished).

Murphy was sentenced to preventive detention today, with a minimum non-parole period of six years. The preventive detention sentence means that he will be in jail until such time as the authorities consider he is no longer a risk - for the rest of his life, if necessary.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11548542
pigpot
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by pigpot »

grixit wrote:Hey, if you're going aboriginal, go all the way. I wonder what the traditional maori punishment for assault and robbing the elderly is.
Utu or muru. Dependent upon the circumstances of course and tribal interpretations as I understand it from others experiences.
Boaz. It's a little like Shazam. It certainly meant a lot to Billy Batson.
Nothing in this post is legal or lawful advice, it is only used for the sake of entertainment.
All "rights" are reserved by this poster.