Belly dancer stung with £50,000 tax bill because classes 'no

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Belly dancer stung with £50,000 tax bill because classes 'no

Post by The Dog »

Belly dancer stung with £50,000 tax bill because classes 'not educational'

Audrey Cheruvier, the 28-year-old director of the Fleur Estelle Belly Dance School, had believed her company was exempt from paying the tax because it was taught as a sport
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... ional.html
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Re: Belly dancer stung with £50,000 tax bill because classes

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Shouldn't this be in "Tax Policy and Practise"?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

It does seem like it would fit better there...moving.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

The judge here was obviously pretty narrow minded, but that's characteristic of a certain kind of Briton. In my youth, I took a course called the "Philosophy of Mind." Professor Yalden-Thomson told us that neither Psychology or Sociology could be regarded as sciences because Oxford did not have a Psychology department and Cambridge did not have a Sociology department (or vice versa).

Now I'm willing to agree that there are some reasons why you might not regard them as serious academic disciplines, but I didn't regard the Oxbridge justification as particularly persuasive.

I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before belly-dancing is taught in English academic institutions. Probably too much to hope that she'll be able to get a tax refund when it happens.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

operabuff wrote:.....Professor Yalden-Thomson told us that neither Psychology or Sociology could be regarded as sciences because Oxford did not have a Psychology department and Cambridge did not have a Sociology department (or vice versa).....
I took an introductory course in sociology in college, and I do remember that it was odd that the instructor seemed "defensive" in her efforts, apparently, to persuade the class that sociology was a science, like chemistry or biology. I doubt if anyone in the class really cared, but it seemed to be important to her that we believe that.

Tom Lehrer has his own musical take on that:
Sociology
by Tom Lehrer:

Strange
Is the change
They're trying to arrange
Today, in sociology.

Fanatics
In their attics
Are learning mathematics--
Just for sociology.

Persuasion
By equation:
They all feel it's much more satisfactory.
They, in an ivory steeple,
Far away from all people--
They do research in sociology.

Guys
Who wrote lies
Now present them in disguise--
A cinch in sociology!

A tract
Quite abstract
Without one single fact:
Disblended sociology!

Birds
Who used words
Now all talk in terms of X and Y and Z.
They can take one small matrix,
And really do great tricks--
All in the name of sociology!

Joes
Who wrote prose
Now write algebra -- who knows?
It may be sociology!

They're
Everywhere
Full of Sigma and Chi squared
And full of sociology.

They consult
Sounding occult
Talking like a Mathematics PhD.
They can snow all their clients
By calling it science,
Although it's only sociology.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

They used to refer to them as "soft sciences." I don't think I've heard the term used recently. Belly dancing would probably fall more within the category of art than science.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I've got the Tom Lehrer deluxe boxed set, and I've never heard of this song. It must be one of those songs which, like so many on the old Dr. Demento show, was never commercially released.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:I've got the Tom Lehrer deluxe boxed set, and I've never heard of this song. It must be one of those songs which, like so many on the old Dr. Demento show, was never commercially released.
Somewhere on the internet, there's a video (youtube or something) of him performing the song.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

That sounds like vintage Tom Lehrer. Will definitely have to track that one down then.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.