Michael Jackson Estate Tax Case Should Be Interesting

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Michael Jackson Estate Tax Case Should Be Interesting

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The parties are a wee bit apart -- $7.2 million vs. $1.25 billion.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... alue-.html
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Michael Jackson Estate Tax Case Should Be Interesting

Post by Famspear »

Cpt Banjo wrote:The parties are a wee bit apart -- $7.2 million vs. $1.25 billion.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... alue-.html
Hey, that's pretty close....

..........the difference is probably just rounding error......

:Axe:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I believe the case is Estate of Michael J. Jackson, Deceased, John G. Branca, Co-Executor and John McClain, Co-Executor v. Commissioner, case no. 017152-13.

The petition was filed on July 26, 2013.

The firm representing the Estate is Hochman Salkin Rettig Toscher & Perez, P.C., in Beverly Hills. At least the executors are not skimping on hiring "the help". (Among the attorneys listed on the docket are Avram Salkin, Charles P. Rettig, Steven R. Toscher, and Edward M. Robbins.)

:)

By the way, for anyone who's interested, Nathan Hochman is no longer with the firm.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

I'm sure the legal team is top notch, but valuing Jackson's likeness at $2,105 is insane. Ya think the executors would be willing to sell it for 100 times that figure? No way.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Cpt Banjo wrote:I'm sure the legal team is top notch, but valuing Jackson's likeness at $2,105 is insane. Ya think the executors would be willing to sell it for 100 times that figure? No way.
As talented as Jackson was, I was never that much of fan -- but that value seems a tad low to me, too. I would like to see the executors' explanation.

Post-script: In looking at the docket, I see that the Estate actually has three different law firms listed. Michael Jackson's estate worth only seven million dollars at the time of death? I don't know. Looking down the road, I wonder whether the legal fees for just one of the three firms could go over seven million when all is said and done.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Among the attorneys listed on the docket are Avram Salkin, Charles P. Rettig, Steven R. Toscher, and Edward M. Robbins.)
I have worked with Rettig, Toscher and Robbins on a number of cases (and also worked against one of them when he was with the Government), and they are kick-ass litigators. On the other hand, the values on the return seem laughably low. So this will be a fun fight to watch.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

I worked with Dennis Perez when he was still with the IRS. He's no slouch.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

If even half the stories floating about are even only partly true, I'm impressed any of them could come up with anything relating to a real figure. As I understand it, his finances were in such disarray at the time of his death they had no idea what he was really worth, or if he was wroth anything, and I'm not sure they do even now.

I think interesting is going to e a good description of this one as I think it will ultimately involve a large number of different tax rules, and they may be mutually contradictory.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Speaking as a retired E&G attorney, I have to say that in my time working LA area cases, for a star as big as MJ, the amount reported on the 706 is nothing short of ludicrous. Given his ownership of the Beatles output alone, a gross estate of less than $100 million would be undervalued. I think this case proves the adage; pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. While his personal finances may have been a mess, the 706 is his NET WORTH at the date of death. The amount reported was clearly understated.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

My guess is the family pressured whoever filled out the 706 to undervalue it severely. I may be wrong on this but my impression based on media reports is that he was essentially broke when he died which is why they got lawsuit-happy over his death. Valuing his estate at $7 mil makes about as much sense as blaming his death on his concert promoters.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Jeffrey and LaVidaRoja, I think you both may well be right, but let's not discount the obvious and equally easy explanation of just plain stupid general ineptitude. Not particularly palatable, but not improbable.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.