Question About Bonds on Appeals

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Question About Bonds on Appeals

Post by The Observer »

If a taxpayer files an appeal over a decision from Tax Court and wishes to protect their self from IRS collection on the owed liability, I believe that they have to submit a bond to cover the liability. Where is the bond recorded at? With Tax Court? Or the appellate court? And where could one find proof of a bond being properly submitted?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Re: Question About Bonds on Appeals

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The bond is filed with the Tax Court, so the Tax Court docket should reflect the filing.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Thanks, Doctor, for the reply and information.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

It is an extremely rare procedure. I'd be surprised if the court on average received more than one appellate bond a year. Because they're so rare, bonded appeals are tricky for the IRS to handle. The IRS is prohibited from assessing and collecting tax while the bond is in place while the appeal is pending. If original notice of deficiency was sent near the end of the three year period of limitation on assessment, the IRS must then make an assessment very quickly upon termination of the appeal, which in turn depends on DOJ promptly notifying the IRS that the appeal has concluded.

This is in contrast to the normal procedure in appellate cases where the assessment is routinely made after the decision is entered in the Tax Court.