Coastal Vacations

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

chefbrian

Coastal Vacations

Post by chefbrian »

There seems to be quite a bit posted on the Internet lately about this company. Do a search on ripoffreports.com for some good information by disgruntled victims taken in by this scam.

One of the odd things is how difficult it is to try and find out information about this business.

Here's a sample of how a rep answers basic questions about Coastal....

1.) Where is Coastal Vacations Headquarters?

~~ Coastal is an association run by a board of directors. The Board of directors are located in several states and meet several times a year at training events.

2.) Who is the owner of Coastal Vacations?

~~ The members are the owners

3.) Where do they ship the products from?

~~ Florida, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Tennessee

4.) Who ships the products?

~~ The board of directors contract with several shipping companies who ship memberships Fed Ex or UPS.

5.) Does Coastal have a rep support/ customer support center?

~~ Yes, we work with 60 different companies and each company is a licensed and bonded travel agency. We offer 4 product training calls to assist members who may not have done their training to learn how each company/ service or Product works

... and so on and so forth. Pure flapdoodle. Why the secrecy?

I did a check and see Coastal Vacations is registered in Arizona. A STEPHANI BILLIPS is listed as the owner.

So I Googled a quick check on him but came up empty handed.

Odd.

If he is the owner, I was sure there'd be some information out there about his background and other scams he'd been involved in.

Anyone heard of this guy or know anything about where Coastal Vacations headquaters actually are? Where their fulfillment center is where they ship their cheap discount coupons from? (They're not a travel company as they maintain - they're in the coupon business).

I'd like to find out more about this operation if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks!
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

You're right, Brian - it appears that these guys don't want to be found. Perhaps they aren't U.S. based.

Anyway, here's what I found: Are these the guys? This site appears to belong to a single distributor, but is DBA'd in Utah (land of MLMs):
COMPANY INFORMATION

Name: LIFETIME COASTAL VACATIONS
Address: 1468 W 2920 S
SYRACUSE, UT 84075

FILING INFORMATION

Identification Number: 5973410-0151
Filing Date: 08/04/2005
Status Attained Date: 08/04/2005
Business Type: DBA
Address Type: MAILING

Where Filed: CORPORATIONS DIVISION
160 EAST 300 SOUTH
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84111

REGISTERED AGENT INFORMATION

Name: DENNY WEST
SYRACUSE, UT

PRINCIPAL INFORMATION

Name: DENNY WEST
Title: APPLICANT
SYRACUSE, UT 84075

Name: JENNFER CAUDILL
SYRACUSE, UT 84075

Name: OPPORTUNITY LEAGUE, LLC
SYRACUSE, UT 84075
Where did you get the nonsense you posted? Googling "Coastal Vacations Headquarters" yields nothing. BTW, each of the states they claim they ship from contains a business with "Coastal Vacations" as all or part of its name, but none appears to be a HQ.

This makes little sense. There has to be a HQ somewhere, whether offshore or here but hidden.

Isn't it a great sign when businesses don't want to be found? The real ones frequently pay lots of money to make it easy to find them.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
chefbrian

Post by chefbrian »

I don't believe that's the same company, Wes.

Where did I get the nonsense I posted?

Here's some more gobbledygook from one of the "official" company sites:

"CV (Coastal Vacation) is an association of professionals that promote travel. The CV association was established more than 12 years ago. It began as a way to take a high value travel membership and make it available as a product for independent entrepreneurs to market for a substantial profit.

The CV Board of Directors is made up of independent Coastal Directors who contribute their time to run the day-to-day operations of CV. The Board of Directors is responsible for vendor acquisition and negotiation; vendor monitoring; and quality control of the membership packages. They also establish pricing and strive to add more value to each membership. In short, they provide all Coastal Directors with the outstanding travel products that we market for a significant profit of $1000 - $9705 per.

As an association, there is no centralized office, no corporate entity or legal department. As such, this allows the business to operate with very low overhead. For this reason, independent Coastal Directors earn outstanding profits for the retail sales of the CV Level One, Level Two and Level Three memberships.

Since CV is an association and not a company or corporation, they are not listed by the Better Business Bureau. However each independent CV Director, acting as their own business, may choose to register themselves with their local BBB.

In addition, the CV BOD has contracted an independent shipping & fulfillment center (NB Management) who acts strictly as a 3rd party entity and services our Directors by drop shipping each travel package sold."

WinningWithCoastal

"As an association, there is no centralized office, no corporate entity or legal department?" Come on! There has to be a head office of sorts somewhere.

How would someone sue the business if it was set up as they indicate?

You're a lawyer, Wes. Does any of that make sense to you? :lol:

Anyways, since I posted that, I did a little more checking.

Their "world fulfilment center" mentioned above, - NB Management - happens to be in Kissimmee, FL. Here's the full address:

7862 W Irlo Bronson Hwy Ste 236
Kissimmee, FL 34747
Osceola County

Funny thing is, if you Google that address, it's a freakin UPS post office box! If you don't believe me, check it out here:

NB Management

What's even more interesting is if you check out the site for the Better Business Bureau of Central Florida.

First off, the Type of Business.
Vacation Certificates & Vouchers

That's what you're buying into - not a travel business.

Nature of Business
The Bureau has on at least two occasions requested background information from the company, including an explaination of its offer, the names of the principals and when the company was established. This information has not be received to date. According to sources deemed reliable, N B Management is fulfilling discounted vacations sold by several different telemarketing companies, specifically, Coastal Vacations, Cross Country Vacations, Fairfield Marketing, Dream Vacation & Wholesale Center. The company also sells vacation packages to independent contractors as a multi-level business opportnity.

Customer Experience
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).
The file contains complaints concerning dissatisfaction with the selling presentation, specifically, non disclosure of the additional charges. All complaints request a refund of monies paid.

This Business Operates under the Names
Coastal Vacations
Cross Country Travel
Cross Country Vacations
N B Management

Lots of other good info there also about the Principals and what not.

In short, if anyone approaches you with this "opportunity" - RUN!
wserra

Post by wserra »

Brian - I think I came up with a lead or two more, if you're still interested. I've been busy the last few days. (Not that that has stopped me before. Damn Quatloos.)

Check out "Coanetwork." If you go to the Coastal Vacations "official" (whoop-de-do) tools site, you find that all of the stuff they tell you to get if you really want to succeed (and, of course, pay them for) is provided by Coanetwork. Coanetwork (through GoDaddy) registed Coastal Vacations own site, and has names and addresses attached (HQ in New Jersey) at GoDaddy and its own site. Although Coanetwork claims to be just a provider to anyone who wants the stuff, the names are too similar. And on the last site: "Remember, with COA, just 5 referrals and it becomes free." Verizon, Cingular - they all do that, right?

And then there's this from two weeks ago:
The Coastal Synergy Group (my group, and my understanding is one of the oldest and largest offshots of the original BOD group-known online as the COA network)
But why are we doing this? You're nuts if you give these guys a dime.
- David Hume
chefbrian

Post by chefbrian »

Thanks, Wes.

I take it New Jersey is set up different than other states? I've found in most cases that if you go to the Secretary of State site you can do a search for businesses and the registered owner.

Not with NJ apparently. I was curious as to who the owner of Coanetwork was.

That operation is like an onion. You just keep peeling back layer upon layer.

How come no one seems to know where their brick and mortar head office is or who's running the operation? :?:
You're nuts if you give these guys a dime.
Think it's slightly more than that to sign up.

You can join with the Level 1 package for only $1295.

But might as well go for the Premium Level 2 package for only $3995!

Oh, and use of the call center is an additional $700 fee - I suppose through COA. Basically, you are given a phone number and extension code to put in your advertising.

Quite a hefty fee for a bunch of travel discount coupons, IMO.
wserra

Post by wserra »

chefbrian wrote:I was curious as to who the owner of Coanetwork was.
CORPORATE RECORDS & BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS

This Record Last Updated: 04/04/2005
Database Last Updated: 03-30-2007
Update Frequency: DAILY
Current Date: 04/01/2007
Source: AS REPORTED BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE OR OTHER OFFICIAL SOURCE

COMPANY INFORMATION

Name: COA NETWORK, INC.
Address: 501 HOES LANE SUITE 200
PISCATAWAY, NJ 08854

D&B DUNS: 80-884-6513

FILING INFORMATION

Identification Number: 100218865
Filing Date: 10/01/2002
State of Incorporation: NEW JERSEY
Corporation Type: PROFIT
Business Type: FOREIGN CORPORATION
Address Type: MAILING

Where Filed: SECRETARY OF STATE/CORPORATIONS DIVISION
STATE CAPITOL
LITTLE ROCK, AR 72201

REGISTERED AGENT INFORMATION

Name: JOHN ADDY
Address: [Address redacted]
CONWAY, AR

PRINCIPAL INFORMATION

Name: PAUL CHAMPANERIA
Title: PARTNER

Name: PETER CHAMPANERIA
Title: VICE PRESIDENT
What to make from this - they apparently originally incorporated in NJ (the same address in Piscataway as on their web site), then filed in Arkansas and "withdrew" in NJ. I'm not sure what "withdrawn" means in this context.

Awright, Brian, whatcha got?
- David Hume
chefbrian

Post by chefbrian »

Awright, Brian, whatcha got?
A headache from trying to make sense of all of this, Wes. :lol:

I see COA NETWORK's address is listed as 501 HOES LANE.

Wonder if that's in the red light district of PISCATAWAY? Image