general notice

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

general notice

Post by Gregg »

I've been having some medical issues witch have led to some issues with my drink and the hours of same. Being as I an a reverse cycle worker,having a little nip at 7 in the morning I don't consider a big deal, seeing as that's 2 in the afternoon when you read it, it ought to be less so. but occasionally lately I've been known to take the morning news and the morning bite of ham and eggs with a bit of bourbon, which is my cultural heritage, so it may appear from time to time that I'm babbling drunk, which may be true, but as its evening to me, not an issue. This is one of the those times. I've just had to read a little bit from my sister and her solicitor and that encouraged me to read it again with my minister, one mr Jack Daniels

And we have decided to table the motion........
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: general notice

Post by NYGman »

I seem to recall there should there be an Island involved in that equation? Have you found a secret island hideaway?
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Doesn't Rev. Daniels have an assistant by the name of Rev. Jim Beam?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

was this posted by Gen. Chilidog?
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Have you been at the Babycham again?
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

If you're concerned you might be drinking to much, you can always talk it over with your old grand dad.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Just make sure you have four roses in the room when you have that conversation with Gramps.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Maybe some wild turkey on the table...?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Maybe some wild turkey on the table...?
Or an old crow if you run out of turkey?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grixit wrote:If you're concerned you might be drinking to much, you can always talk it over with your old grand dad.
I've been through a pint in 9 months, is that too much?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

No where near enough.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

A few years ago when I was doing some fall harvest work for some libertarian people around Limerick, Maine, I attended the local baptist church where the minister was one Jack Daniels, maybe he could advise you? lol

Some mornings when I get up early enough I get to an early bird AA meeting in town, always a useful way to start the day, and have been taking a friend who is in long term recovery to later meetings sometimes. Some people benefit from an occasional meeting if you can find one with smart people not dysfunctional idiots of which there are a few.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Moderator Note

Any discussion of whether AA works for the intended audience, should, in my opinion, be relegated to politics (or possibly religion) -- in either case, not allowed on Quatloos. (AA meetings as entertainment is a concept I had not run across before.)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Although AA does recommend that participants rely upon a "higher power," it (as an organization) does not prescribe any particular flavor of deity. There are AA chapters associated with various Christian denominations, Jewish synagogues, non-sectarian entities such as Ethical Culture Society, and probably many others.

As to its political connections, I believe there are not any. I have three AA member friends who attend meetings together. One is a Tea Party member, another a Democratic party activist, and the third is a strong Libertarian. They all leave their politics at the door of the meeting.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I recently became aware that AA meetings need not follow the steps.

However, it is established (US) law that requiring (even as part of a plea agreement) someone to attend meetings at which the 4th step is followed constitutes establishment of a religion under the First Amendment. _If_ there are available AA chapters (such as sober.org) which do not follow the steps, such an order might be valid.

Also, only one of the schools of addiction medicine believes that AA works for a large percentage of addicts. There are many schools. Hence, an order for someone to attend AA meetings might be found irrelevant; that objection would have to be brought at the actual trial court, as it's possible that AA would help the individual in question, so it would not necessarily be an abuse of discretion on the part of the trial judge to so order.

Under the circumstances. whether AA is a religion, and whether AA works (for many people; it could work for some individuals), are all sufficiently matters of faith to be off topic in this forum, unless a soverun were to claim that AA meetings were good (or evil).
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyedit; please read carefully to see if your reply is to the current version
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Doesn't Rev. Daniels have an assistant by the name of Rev. Jim Beam?
Don't laugh. One summer, when my son and I were attending Boy Scout Summer Camp (I was an ASM), the camp had a chaplain named Jim Beam. He was a young divinity student and was well aware of the irony of his name.