New Zealand: river becomes person

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean, ArthurWankspittle

littleFred
Stern Faced Schoolmaster of Serious Discussion

New Zealand: river becomes person

Post by littleFred »

I am indebted to Evictees and Families Unite for drawing my attention to a Guardian article: New Zealand river granted same legal rights as human being.

Treating a natural resource as something to be respected and not merely exploited sounds good. But the legal implications are interesting.
"Te Awa Tupua will have its own legal identity with all the corresponding rights, duties and liabilities of a legal person," said Finlayson in a statement.
Okay. So if a person drowns in the river, can it be charged with murder? I suppose New Zealand doesn't have the death penalty, but can a river be imprisoned?

Perhaps disappointingly, the Bill clarfies:
(1) Te Awa Tupua is a legal person and has all the rights, powers, duties, and liabilities of a legal person.

(2) The rights, powers, and duties of Te Awa Tupua must be exercised or performed, and responsibility for its liabilities must be taken, by Te Pou Tupua on behalf of, and in the name of, Te Awa Tupua, in the manner provided for in this Part and in Ruruku Whakatupua—Te Mana o Te Awa Tupua.
And:
The purpose of Te Pou Tupua is to be the human face of Te Awa Tupua and act in the name of Te Awa Tupua.
So, if the river kills someone, this "human face" gets jail time? Probably not:
The persons appointed to Te Pou Tupua are not personally liable for any action taken or omission made in their capacity as Te Pou Tupua, but only if the action or omission relates to their powers and functions under this Act and they have acted in good faith.
When the bill receives royal assent, the river will not only be a legal person but also, for some purposes, an institution, a public body, a public authority and a body corporate.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: New Zealand: river becomes person

Post by wserra »

Well, NZ is the only place where one can lawfully get married in a Pastafarian ceremony.

Carbo Diem.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

It's a national shame how Pastafarians are cruelly persecuted here in Vancouver;

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-pastaf ... -1.2041844
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

So, are those people now legally naiads?

And in any case, what is the practical difference between this and a conservation trust?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

littleFred wrote:Okay. So if a person drowns in the river, can it be charged with murder? I suppose New Zealand doesn't have the death penalty, but can a river be imprisoned?
You got to get it in court first.
grixit wrote:And in any case, what is the practical difference between this and a conservation trust?
I suspect this is actually the case. The declaration pacifies the Maori demands and helps settle the issue.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

Wondering what happens if you pee in it? Sorry, had to be asked.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Well, for one thing: if it were the Cuyahoga, you could always tell it that you wouldn't piss on it if it were on fire.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
littleFred
Stern Faced Schoolmaster of Serious Discussion

Post by littleFred »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:... The declaration pacifies the Maori demands and helps settle the issue.
Yes. I see the Bill includes a tweak to the NZ Income Tax Act. I'm not familiar with NZ law, but if this was in the UK, I fear more tweaking would be needed to the effect that the river itself (unlike humans and companies) is incapable of committing crimes, has no responsibilities for taxes or other civic duties, and so on.

The "human" face, the Te Pou Tupua, can commit crimes, of course. But it would be those humans who committed the crimes themselves or as a corporate body, rather than merely admitting responsibility for actions done by the river.

From a SovCit perspective, this might be a line used to avoid taxes: "A river runs through my land. A river can be a legal person. If you want to tax my land, then place the tax on the river."

Courts may need to rule, eg People v Frazier:
Despite the physical ability to commit vicious and violent acts, dogs do not possess the legal ability to commit crimes.
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

littleFred wrote:Courts may need to rule, eg People v Frazier:
Despite the physical ability to commit vicious and violent acts, dogs do not possess the legal ability to commit crimes.
oh jeeze, my dog is an angel but dogs do get charged with crimes. even the nicest dogs can be psychopaths. like those dirty cop dogs with their grow op's and grenade launchers.....

http://time.com/5234/mcgruff-the-crime- ... launchers/

because you cant have a crime dog without the crime. who's a good boy mcgruff?

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39336284

India follows NZ in River personhood
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

These decisions may sound a bit odd to us, but they are actual determinations by real governments, and I don't think they really belong on the Sovereign Citizens board.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The story made it to one of my favorite websites;

http://loweringthebar.net/2017/03/river ... erson.html
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs