Close call!

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Close call!

Post by Gregg »

They almost got me today. I had a craving and stopped at Arby's for lunch. For several years, Webhick has been joking at my various mishaps and clumsiness by saying the it was a plot by Arby's to have me killed.
So, I got a bit stuck and was for just a moment choking. I'm fine, I coughed and managed to evade them again. But the first thought that went through my mind, was, "Oh, if I choke to death in an Arby's, I'll never hear the end of it from ....:)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Close call!

Post by Famspear »

Whew! Go slow there, dude.

I know that as I have gotten older, I'm also more conscious of the need to be careful and, shall we say, more deliberate, in the every day, mundane activity of life.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Arby's restaurants used to be common in and around Boston; but now the closest one is 35 miles away. I was there, this afternoon; and all I could think of was "don't choke like Gregg almost did...."

When my wife and I drove to Texas in 2012 (and I met Prof, among other things), I started seeing Arby's in Virginia; and often I'd grab a sandwich or two for right then, and one or two to eat on the road, the following day.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Always did like Arby's, especially back in the "5 for $5" days. We'd get 10 and take the meat from 5 and double them up. Horsey sauce is pretty good stuff - I just don't want to read what's in it.

Hint for getting old - never be alone without your phone ready at hand. It looks pretty silly walking around the house in your boxers with a phone clipped on but one fall can be slow and agonizing death.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Hint for getting old - never be alone without your phone ready at hand. It looks pretty silly walking around the house in your boxers with a phone clipped on but one fall can be slow and agonizing death.

Especially if you are living alone. A simple pay-as-you-go cell phone can be obtained and are small enough to not look too stupid when the paramedics roll up and wheel you out.

And if possible, arrange to have someone check up on you once a day just to make sure you can answer the door and are upright. Too many sad stories of people who were so isolated and cut off from society that they weren't found until they had been dead for years - literally.

One final thing is that if you are Internet savvy, there is a site called the Dead Man's Switch where you can register e-mail messages that will be sent out on your presumed demise (you can pay a fee for more to be sent over the 2 free ones). The site will send you an e-mail every 30-60 days to which you must respond; if you fail to respond, the site will presume you have died and will send your final e-mail messages to your designated recipients. Might be a way to let people how you really felt about them but never got around to telling them. But this is not a method to use for being rescued or alerted to you being ill or incapacitated since the 30 day minimum pretty much rules out someone surviving that long.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Chaos
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Chaos »

I note that "arbys' could be considered the drawn out pseudonym for RBs or Rabid Dachshund.

CONSPIRACY!
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Always did like Arby's, especially back in the "5 for $5" days. We'd get 10 and take the meat from 5 and double them up. Horsey sauce is pretty good stuff - I just don't want to read what's in it.
How can you screw up horseradish sauce? It's just horseradish root, salt, and vinegar and that is it. Quantities do not need to be exact, just throw in the salt and vinegar after grinding to stop the "heat" reaction to personal taste. Hint for home gardeners - do not grow it at home. Find a ditch down the road or the corner of a field. It's literally a weed and spreads through root propagation and will take over everything since you will spread it when you dig up some roots - a piece of root one inch long and less than a quarter inch thick will produce a viable bush.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I think in this case the "horsey sauce" from Arby's had other ingredients than the 3 you listed. I am willing to bet one of them was mayo, since that is what the final product looked like when you squeezed it out of the package on to your pile of sliced meat. I would guess there were a number of other minor ingredients added to round out the recipe, including some sort of preservative.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

No problems - we're talking about a condiment/spice plant that used to be quite common in Canada in rural areas grown in the back 40 along with your dill, potatoes, and turnips.
1. basic mix - as above;
2. longer lasting in the fridge - less vinegar, some lemon juice or ascorbic acid;
3. horseradish mayo - less vinegar, mix in some mayo;
4. horseradish dill - throw some chopped dill in the mixture - looks like green slime but tastes good;
5. horseradish beets - add some ground beets cooked with a pinch of cloves, and a little sugar.
Note: use any creative combination of the above - this was not rocket science to any Canadian housewife one hundred years ago, but from personal experience seems to have disappeared in the USA, along with other "country" cooking techniques.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

In addition to the mayo, some online recipes also toss in some sugar.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

From the horsey's mouth: :roll:
Horsey Sauce®: Soybean Oil, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Egg Yolks, Salt, Mustard Flour, Horseradish Powder, Artificial Flavor, [ :shrug: ] Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor).
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:From the horsey's mouth: :roll:
Now we know why Gregg choked.

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Never like the Horsey Sauce, but I love me some Arby's Sauce.

I do carry my cell phone when I go from room to room and sleep with it on my pillow. Since my fall last year I'm actually quite conscience of the potential hazard of living alone. I also designed the new Well Armed Bunker Complex to have no stairs and that was the reason I moved, that and to downsize.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Exactly the plan I have for my Western Fortified Complex when I retire: all necessary facilities downstairs, including the master suite and bath, library/study, kitchen, dining room, mud/laundry room and access to the garage. Guest bedrooms upstairs since I have no need to go up there - I can just yell "breakfast is ready." And level access out to the back area where I can watch the deer, elk, and moose saunter by.

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:From the horsey's mouth: :roll:
Horsey Sauce®: Soybean Oil, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Egg Yolks, Salt, Mustard Flour, Horseradish Powder, Artificial Flavor, [ :shrug: ] Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor).
If that is the list of ingredients straight off the package, then that is also the listing of components in order of quantity. Translation, it is basically/largely soy bean oil, water, and corn syrup (barely)flavored with powdered horseradish and heaven only knows what artificial flavor. YUM!!!! :sarcasmon:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Translation: MAKE YOUR OWN!!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

LaVidaRoja wrote:Translation: MAKE YOUR OWN!!
Uh yeah!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:Never like the Horsey Sauce, but I love me some Arby's Sauce.
My wife loves the Horsey Sauce. In fact, on Sunday, I got a handful of packets with my order; and my wife is using them on regular roast beef after she ate the sandwich I brought home.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I'm pretty serious health wise, following diet by reason, but found the Hardees' black Angus wrapped in lettuce without sauce to be a decent fast food option where those outlets exist. The fast food chains could be a beacon of health reform instead of causes of stumbling with the mainstream. Quality culinary spices may be a way to counter the bad fats and additives in McD's junkfood, but that seems unnecessary if people would just avoid food that science has proven is bad for health. It's too bad we can't work into healthcare mandates for personal responsibility.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Chaos wrote:I note that "arbys' could be considered the drawn out pseudonym for RBs or Rabid Dachshund.

CONSPIRACY!

Actually RBs was the original name which morphed into Arbys, but it stood for Rath Bros.