Kiva.org

Discussion of various forms of Advance Fee Fraud, including application fees for loans that never materialize, self-liquidating loan scams, as well as mortgage elimination scams and related debt elimination scams [Nigerian-type scams should go in the Nigerian 4-1-9 forum]
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Kiva.org

Post by Imalawman »

A friend of mine referred me to Kiva.org. Basically you give money to this site for 3rd world country loans. You get your money back and a little more for interest. This sounds like a 419 scam and worse. I've heard that they charge over 50% interest on these "loans". I'm skeptical that they're actually going to the persons they promise they are. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Kiva.org

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Imalawman wrote:A friend of mine referred me to Kiva.org. Basically you give money to this site for 3rd world country loans. You get your money back and a little more for interest. This sounds like a 419 scam and worse. I've heard that they charge over 50% interest on these "loans". I'm skeptical that they're actually going to the persons they promise they are. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks.
I wouldn't condemn them that quickly.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stori ... story.html
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Chrisfs

Re: Kiva.org

Post by Chrisfs »

As far as I know, Kiva is on the up and up. By which I mean that, the money actually goes to the people they say it goes to, and not in their pockets. Whether it's a good deal for the borrowers depends on the terms. Grameen Bank has done a great deal of good for people, others have doen less good.