I sure hope I'm wrong but I got a huntch.

Talk about the Nigerian 4-1-9 scam in all its many variations, such as bogus checks sent from Nigeria to purchase used cars in the U.S. and many other variations of this scam.
Elmware
Blessed Ancient of the Sixth Qu Dynasty

I sure hope I'm wrong but I got a huntch.

Post by Elmware »

So my buddy goes to this church where lots of handicap people go to. Just about every month, they have this dinner and my buddy invites me there.

After dinner he tells me about this girl there who told him that she inherrited fifteen million dollars from a relative. I didn't get too many details other than that she hasn't got the cheque yet and is waiting for it in about a couple weeks. She didn't go around telling everyone there, and I only heard it from my buddy.

I think it's too good to be true but then it occured to me, that it could verry well be a 4-1-9 scam that she may soon become a victome of.

I hope I am wrong or at least save someone from this scam.

What do you all think? Am I overly assumptious or do you think it could very well be that she is being suckored into this scam?

Personally, I think the least I could do is inform her of this scam and how it works.
Monty Cantsin

Post by Monty Cantsin »

I fully agree with you. If you can, point her to http://www.scamvictimsunited.com or the forum at http://www.scampatrol.org.
Often, victims can be fairly defensive and really believe in the money turning up, so don't be too suprised if she doesn't want to believe you.
Elmware

Post by Elmware »

Ya, convincing her that she could be on her way to being scammed could be the hard part.

I'm not sure who she is, but my buddy is going to talk to her. Hopefully it's not too late.

I'm also thinking that I should have her forward any information to the secret service or even the police.

I know there's a site for Canadians to send that kind of stuff to.
Monty Cantsin

Post by Monty Cantsin »

As far as I remember, the SVU site has a lot of useful LEO links where things can be reported. Mostly though, the police etc. are unable to do anything as the identity of the sammers can never really be found out and because they operate across international borders from countries with fairly ineffective law enforcement.
Elmware

Post by Elmware »

Yeah, it's a real shame eh?

I found the PhoneBuster site for Canada. They may not be able to do much but at least they will have the case on record.