Law Experts and Tax Fraud

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Law Experts and Tax Fraud

Post by Number Six »

Vincent Bugliosi, the former prosecutor, is doing a book tour around Vermont with the Progressive Party's candidate for attorney general. I asked him about the issue of tax non-filing and fraud, there was tax protestor there who brought up the Brown case. I mentioned that there is no statute of limitations on murder (his prosecutorial focus) and tax fraud. He, and the attorney general candidate, were unaware of the tax protest movement. I gave them the quatloos site as a reference when she asked for links to tax law enforcement.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Re: Law Experts and Tax Fraud

Post by jcolvin2 »

vtyankee wrote:Vincent Bugliosi, the former prosecutor, is doing a book tour around Vermont with the Progressive Party's candidate for attorney general. I asked him about the issue of tax non-filing and fraud, there was tax protestor there who brought up the Brown case. I mentioned that there is no statute of limitations on murder (his prosecutorial focus) and tax fraud. He, and the attorney general candidate, were unaware of the tax protest movement. I gave them the quatloos site as a reference when she asked for links to tax law enforcement.
There is no civil statute of limitations with respect to fraudulent (or unfiled) tax returns. There is a six year criminal statute of limitations for tax fraud (or willful failure to file returns).
Investor

Post by Investor »

jcolvin2 wrote:
vtyankee wrote:Vincent Bugliosi, the former prosecutor, is doing a book tour around Vermont with the Progressive Party's candidate for attorney general. I asked him about the issue of tax non-filing and fraud, there was tax protestor there who brought up the Brown case. I mentioned that there is no statute of limitations on murder (his prosecutorial focus) and tax fraud. He, and the attorney general candidate, were unaware of the tax protest movement. I gave them the quatloos site as a reference when she asked for links to tax law enforcement.
There is no civil statute of limitations with respect to fraudulent (or unfiled) tax returns. There is a six year criminal statute of limitations for tax fraud (or willful failure to file returns).
Thank you. I hate when I hear people say, "the only two crimes with no statute of limitations are murder and tax fraud". It just ain't so.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Practically speaking it is unlikely that a tax issue beyond six years has relevance to the IRS except above a threshold of substantial income. The perjury statute is also rarely invoked in cases of CPA's and taxpayers. It would be interesting to know if data-mining programs are connecting the dots in the case of people who cash large checks at the banks of the payee. It should be pointed out that famous tps who have beat the criminal rap, have ended up being dismembered financially in other courts.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)