Cryer in Tax Court

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.

What results should we expect for Cryer in Tax Court

He raises non-frivolous issues and wins.
3%
He raises non-frivolous issues and loses.
15%
He raises frivolous issues, but backs down after warnings from the court and settles.
21%
He raises frivolous issues, persists, and loses, but is not sanctioned.
12%
He raises frivolous issues, persists, loses, and is sanctioned.
50%

Total votes: 34

ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Re: Cryer in Tax Court

Post by ASITStands »

LPC wrote:And where is Mrs. Cryer in all this? If she was credited with half of his income, did she get a notice of deficieny also?
As I remember, in the criminal case, Mrs. Cryer had died of a terminal illness. Tommy claimed the amounts in dispute were paid out of the estate and not taxable to him.

Different claims/different issues when it comes to the civil side of things.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

With respect to sanctions for a stupid petition, Cryer's is far from the worst that come in.

Many taxpayers send a letter (with the NOD attached) to the effect of "I want to argue this in Tax Court. Please send me the proper forms."

The Court records these as petitions filed, thereby starting the clock on the IRS to assemble the records and provide an Answer to the petition.

The Petitioner can then file an amended petition, more fully stating the issues and allegations of error.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

ASITStands wrote:
LPC wrote:And where is Mrs. Cryer in all this? If she was credited with half of his income, did she get a notice of deficieny also?
As I remember, in the criminal case, Mrs. Cryer had died of a terminal illness. Tommy claimed the amounts in dispute were paid out of the estate and not taxable to him.

Maybe they had huge medical bills which resulted in the loss of so much money? Otherwise, it seems impossible that he couldn't keep track of so much money. Wow.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Imalawman wrote:Maybe they had huge medical bills which resulted in the loss of so much money? Otherwise, it seems impossible that he couldn't keep track of so much money. Wow.
Losing a million bucks in a small business or a poor investment is not hard, even a fool can do it in a snap.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Imalawman wrote:
ASITStands wrote:

Maybe they had huge medical bills which resulted in the loss of so much money? Otherwise, it seems impossible that he couldn't keep track of so much money. Wow.
First of all, the only years at issue in the criminal case were 2000 & 2001.

Secondly, the issue in the criminal case involved his use of the Tommy K. Cryer Trust. The government alleged he had not reported income assigned to the trust, and he alleged the trust had had no taxable income, and therefore, no taxable liability for the years at issue.

Start reading at the Third Motion to Dismiss, and the Memorandum in Support thereof. Starting on page 9 of the memorandum, he discusses the trust. Apparently, he alleged the trust had no income, as no gain was realized on security transactions.

Along with the Third Motion to Dismiss, and Memorandum, there's a Declaration of Defendant, Tommy K. Cryer, in which he makes the following statements:
Declarant, Tommy Cryer wrote:That Declarant was married to CAROLYN FISHER CRYER, hereinafter "Carolyn," on or about June 21, 1975, from whom he was never separated or divorced and which marriage was terminated by Carolyn's death on March 23, 1999.

That in August of either 1987 or 1999 Carolyn suffered multiple cerebral hemorrhages resulting from the rupture of a berry aneurysm in her brain stem, which caused extensive brain damage and required numerous serious surgical procedures, resulting in her hospitalization for over seven months and rehabilitation efforts that continued for a number of years thereafter and which resulted in her significant physical, emotional and mental disability for the remainder of her life.
There's more about how and why he used the trust, but I'll leave that to your reading.

It appears to me not to be a stretch to say, "His wife died, and before and after death, the large medical bills ate up much of the earned income, assigned to the trust."

All of which argues for a return prepared on his part, as it would significantly lower liability.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Demosthenes wrote:He earned $1,358,036 in 1997 and filed for bankruptcy in Feb 1998. That's interesting.
He earned 1.3 million and claims to be broke?

Wow...can I be that broke, too?
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:He earned $1,358,036 in 1997 and filed for bankruptcy in Feb 1998. That's interesting.
He earned 1.3 million and claims to be broke?

Wow...can I be that broke, too?
I'd even consent to split the 1.3 million with you, and we both could be half-broke.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Famspear wrote: I'd even consent to split the 1.3 million with you, and we both could be half-broke.
$650K....sure, I find your proposal acceptable.

Let's see...I could buy 216 Sticks for that much, take my whole family to the Philippines 130 times, buy 26 hybrids, pay off my house 2.6 times over, pay off my student loan 32.5 times, put my daughter through university (in the Philippines) 81.25 times, put myself through law school 16 times....

I do go on.

At any rate, Mr. Cryer has a very funny definition of the word "broke". Almost as funny as those CEOs from the Big Three who flew to Congress on their private jets asking the government for a handout because they, too, were "broke".

Did I miss something here? Because back in my day, broke meant (literally) living in a van down by the river (which I did for almost a year back in 2002).

Who do I speak to about applying retroactively for my $1.3 million and a private jet?
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Remember Bob Hurt, from Florida? On his "lawmen" google group, he has posted the following he says he received from Tommy K. Cryer. It appears Cryer's tax protester project, "Truth Attack," is not doing so well financially.......
Date: May 4, 2009 6:36 AM

Subject: TRUTH ATTACK BULLETIN: COST OF FREEDOM? LESS THAN YOU THINK!! URGENT APPEAL

To:
Capos,

Below is a special bulletin due to a tight spot not only for TA [Truth Attack, Tommy K. Cryer's web site], which has spent itself on OST II [Operation Stop Thief II] (it was worth it, we distributed between 1.5 and 2 million TA and WTP [We the People, the Bob Schulz operation] Continental Congress flyers and were covered by over 1,000 television newscasts and newspapers) but for LWRN [Liberty Works Radio Network], which has used every penny to push to the finish line. Although it's made it, and we're going on the air TODAY, it has totally exhausted resources and it's behind on obligations. Don't let it collapse and die at the finish line.

TA is short on funding for some vital operations, not the least of which is its participation in the upcoming organizational meeting for Bob Schulz's Continental Congress project and groundwork for the Free Florida Save America Motor March.
Please forward this out to your lists immediately.

If you forward only one bulletin for TA as part of this coalition, let it be this one.
Thanks to all for all you do. We can do this, but only if we all pull together.

Tom

*Dear Patriot:*
*The following Bulletin issue of Truth Attack News From The Front is being sent to you courtesy of _____________________, a member of the Truth Attack Coalition. We encourage all patriots to support Truth Attack and its coalition members who are unified in our mutual goal—putting the government back in its box—one tentacle at a time!*

TRUTH ATTACK!
*NEWS FROM THE FRONT*
May 4, 2009
Tom Cryer, CC&BW Pastor Joe Larson, Chaplain Anne Nonamus, NFTF Editor
*"It is a republic, Madam . . . if you can keep it." B. Franklin*
*SPECIAL AND URGENT BULLETIN:*
*WHAT DOES FREEDOM COST? *
*LESS THAN YOU THINK!! *
*A PERSONAL APPEAL FROM TOM CRYER, *
*TRUTH ATTACK'S CHIEF COOK AND BOTTLE WASHER*

Brother and Sister Patriots:

The recent acceleration of the federal government's pace of annexing new powers, all at the expense of our liberty, mandates all Americans to seize every opportunity to shore up our defenses and arm ourselves for our essential counter attack. These unfortunate developments have forced me to come out of my back room activities in the Truth Attack operations to make this vital and urgent appeal.

*We all know that freedom is not free. But what is the cost of freedom?* In the beginning our ancestors paid for our freedom with their blood. When England kidnapped our sailors, invaded our nation and put the torch to our capitol we again paid a dear price in life and limb. When threats to freedom appeared on foreign shores mothers sacrificed their sons on distant beaches and to unmarked watery graves and our young men and women have always risen to the challenge.

But the current crisis, today's threat to our freedom and the freedom of our children and grandchildren is not from a foreign invader, nor is it from a distant country. Our sons and daughters continue to bleed and make the ultimate sacrifice not for freedom, but for advancement of private interests that are not worthy of that honor.

Today's threat is the most dire and sinister of all those against which Americans have struggled and fought. Today's threat is from within. *Traitors and seditionists have overthrown our Constitutional republic* and have replaced it with the oligarchy our founding fathers dreaded more than any other risk. A sinister and invisible coup has silently and stealthily taken over our government, no less so than if Nazi Germany had won WWII and placed us under foreign occupation.

The oligarchy has seized control of our wealth by installing its privately owned Federal Reserve as the official counterfeiter of so-called "money", using manipulation of currency buying power and an illegal application of a tax on our labor to siphon off the wealth of our middle class and to relegate our working Americans, the men and women who built this nation, to serfdom. It has captured the minds of our children by usurping control of our schools, indoctrinating them with its perverted definition of "freedom".

At the close of the Revolution Benjamin Rush said that the war for American independence is over, but the American Revolution has just begun, and he was right. Every generation has had to defend our freedom and our way of life, but no generation has faced as great a challenge as have we, who are now charged with resurrecting our Constitutional republic and expelling the domestic and foreign tyrants who have already stolen our freedom, seized control of our children's minds, bled us dry and sold our people faux freedom in exchange for our liberty.

*So, is it time to again shed our blood?* It may come to that, but only if we fail to act within our system while we still have a system to act within. We must act now or the next generation will be faced with an unhappy choice of either rebellion or submission, a legacy none of us wants to bestow on our posterity.

While we are facing the greatest threat to freedom in our brief history we are blessed in that this is one such challenge we can meet without sacrificing our lives or those of our sons and daughters. The tyrants have taken over by manipulating the system and we can recover our nation through the same system.

What, then, is the price of freedom for our generation? Time and money, paltry and insignificant sacrifices when compared to those made before. Our time, our personal involvement, is essential and funding this struggle to regain our freedom is an absolute must.

*Look at our children, our grandchildren*. What is their freedom worth to us? Is preserving their freedom worth as much as providing them with cable television? As much as keeping them "cool" with the latest fashions or cell phones in their pockets?

*Truth Attack has the only comprehensive (covering all issues) and workable plan to* *put the government back in its box . . . one tentacle at a time*. That plan, just like the freedom it can restore, is not free, but it is not necessarily expensive, either. If each and every one of us were to contribute only $100, or even $25 a month, less than we spend on our children's entertainment, and *far less than we contribute to the oligarchy each month*, we can make that plan a reality. We can leave our children a legacy of liberty instead of a millstone around their necks.

The projects TA needs to implement cannot be undertaken without financing. We are conducting seminars across the country to spread the word, introduce more people to the Truth and raise funds for the war on tyranny, but that alone is not enough.

The *Free Florida—Save America Motor March* is going to create a safe haven where the government will be unable to obtain convictions on tax crimes, saturating the Florida population with the Truth about the income tax, destroying the government's ability to send anyone to prison for violating a law that does not exist. What effect would that have? A huge effect. What will it cost? Our time and a little of our money—not one drop of blood—yet.

Creating *Raptor Press*, our own publishing company for the entire Freedom Movement, is going to make the Truth available and help in awakening the sleeping giant. Conducting the political campaigns for *America's Most Unwanted Congressmen (AMUC) Awards* project is going to take funding. It is time for America to wake up and smell the slop jar, but the kind of noise it takes to do that is not free.

*This is our last chance* to save our nation, to reclaim our freedom and to rescue our federal republic from the interlopers and usurpers. This is our last chance to prevent our descendants from having to choose between armed rebellion and slavery. Please go to the Truth Attack web site, click "Donate" and set up a monthly contribution. *Be a part of the solution.*

And don't forget to defy the tyrant's muffling and stifling our voices by making a contribution to the Freedom Movement's only voice in the wilderness, *Liberty Works Radio Network*. LWRN is going on the air on May 4, 2009, after years of hard work, preparations and perseverance of many. Now, having devoted every resource to getting on the air at the expense of meeting its expenses of operations, LWRN has exhausted its funds and is in arrears. *This is a critical and defining moment in time*, when the only thing between success and failure is this last financial hurdle. Help push LWRN, our champion and a most vital weapon of Truth, into the arena so it can fight the government's lies and myths.

*All that tyranny asks of you is that you do nothing—contribute nothing.* Say "NO!" to tyranny and make your contribution to the cost of our freedom before that cost includes the blood of our children.

Thank you, each and every one of you, for all you do. We can do this.
Tom Cryer
*PLEASE!!*
* REFUSE TO SERVE TYRANNY!!*
*REFUSE TO SIT IDLY BY AND PERMIT IT TO FLOURISH *
*STRIKE A BLOW FOR LIBERTY:*
(bolding added)

This is Cryer's web site:

http://www.truthattack.org

The part I like is where Cryer talks about Florida, saying he wants to "create a safe haven where the government will be unable to obtain convictions on tax crimes, saturating the Florida population with the Truth about the income tax, destroying the government's ability to send anyone to prison for violating a law that does not exist..."

All this, while Cryer is facing $1.7 million in taxes and penalties, to be litigated in his upcoming Tax Court trial.

I can't wait to hear the new "Liberty Works Radio Network."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Nikki wrote:Many taxpayers send a letter (with the NOD attached) to the effect of "I want to argue this in Tax Court. Please send me the proper forms."
That's basically a procedure used by Freedom Law School (Peymon).

A dirty little rumor goes something like, "They milk you for all they can get having you send documents rebutting what the IRS sends you then when there's no other course, they tell you to file the returns. Usually, that happens just before you're charged with a crime."
mutter

Post by mutter »

One of the biggest building firms around filed for bankruptcy cos they have 29 BILLION in assets (they own many malls) but have debt to the tune of almost 28 BILLION. It all depends on how much debt he has.
one of the biggest issues lottery winners have is they buy multi-million dollar mansions but dont know it takes a quarter a million a year to upkeep the mansion. they end up broke. Cryer must have spent beyond his means
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

mutter wrote:One of the biggest building firms around filed for bankruptcy cos they have 29 BILLION in assets (they own many malls) but have debt to the tune of almost 28 BILLION. It all depends on how much debt he has.
one of the biggest issues lottery winners have is they buy multi-million dollar mansions but dont know it takes a quarter a million a year to upkeep the mansion. they end up broke. Cryer must have spent beyond his means
It probably had to do with his wife's illness - discussed on the previous page...
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Imalawman wrote:It probably had to do with his wife's illness - discussed on the previous page...
And, again, he'd be better served preparing (and offering) a tax return during pendency of the tax court Petition for Redetermination, instead of continuing with, "I owe nothing!"

Otherwise, the amounts are assessed and become res judicata.