America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I received an invitation to join this "exclusive" Registry at http://www.whoswhoregistry.net/ . As I'm in Marquis Who's Who in America, (which is real, as I asked here a few years ago), I was wondering whether this one is real or phishing.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals

Post by Demosthenes »

Visit AboutUs.org for more information about whoswhoregistry.net
<a href="http://www.aboutus.org/whoswhoregistry.net">AboutUs:
whoswhoregistry.net</a>

Domain Name: whoswhoregistry.net
Registrar: Name.com LLC

Expiration Date: 2010-05-02 14:12:24
Creation Date: 2009-05-02 14:12:24
Best case scenario is that it's owned by the vanity publication. Worst is that it's a phishing scam. That creation date is not comforting.
Demo.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

This registry stinks to high heaven, as far as I'm concerned. it reminds me of the old history books which got sold by traveling salesmen in the 19th century, back in New England. These books purported to list the outstanding citizens in each community -- but, surprise surprise -- they didn't list EVERYBODY. They listed only those people who paid the salesman to include their biography (photos cost you extra). In fact, one of my favorite stories from that era concerns two lawyers who got hit up for a spot in such a book. They agreed to buy one apiece if the salesman could get the town miser to buy one. When the salesman somehow pulled that off, the lawyers paid the salesman the money but asked him NOT to include their biographies, so that the people in their town would still respect them and not take them for gullible fools.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Most such directories are created to be sold to the persons listed therein. I no longer get asked for bio infor from Marquis' Who's Who, although I still get solicited by Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, etc. (I once bought a copy of Best Lawyers, and the firm took an add out for those of us listed as Super Lawyers.)

School Alumni directories operate on the same premise -- well, vanity plus a directory. I buy three, so that theory works, I guess.
"My Health is Better in November."
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Any organization that has the word "whore" in their URL can't be too impressive. :wink:
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

This appears to be the sort of club to which Groucho's famous remark should be applied.

If they wnat you as a member, you shouldn't join.

Instead, you can spend around the same amount of money and get a star officially named after you.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

That star-naming ad is one that makes me reach for the tuning buttons whenever it comes on the radio. I especially try to avoid the reference to the record of the naming being deposited, in book form, with the US Copyright Office. If I want to give an example of lawyered-up weasel words when I talk to people, this is one of my favorite examples.

But, in the interests of full disclosure, I should mention that I do own a star in the Milky Way. My mother bought me the deed at Boston's Museum of Science, 50 years ago, and I still have it somewhere. The deed has no official validity, of course, and the MoS staff has never pretended otherwise; but as everyone understands fully, this is merely a nice fundraising gimmick. If I ever hear anyone saying that they are going to pay a fat chunk of cash to the Star Registry scammers, I direct them to the MoS (or their local equivalent), and ask them to send their money where it will do some good, not benefit some scam artist.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Actually -- I have a better name for this thing: the Comprehensive Registry of American Professionals.... :lol:
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:That star-naming ad is one that makes me reach for the tuning buttons whenever it comes on the radio. I especially try to avoid the reference to the record of the naming being deposited, in book form, with the US Copyright Office. If I want to give an example of lawyered-up weasel words when I talk to people, this is one of my favorite examples.
Yeah, that one always gets me grinning -- having someone name a star after you.

I'm thinking of starting my own registry -- just to make some money. It's going to be the Registry of Famous People's Body Parts That Have Been Named After You or One of Your Loved Ones.

Example: Guys, you could have one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's biceps named after you.

Girls, you can have one of actress Sharon Stone's ear lobes named after you. (Now, now, I said "ear lobes", "ear lobes". Don't let your mind wander.) I'll even offer a reduced rate if you want to buy names for both lobes.
:wink:

As you can imagine, the prices will vary, depending on the body part and the "famous-ossity-tivity-ness" of the Famous Person "involved."

This is America. It could work.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:...

Example: Guys, you could have one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's biceps named after you.

Girls, you can have one of actress Sharon Stone's ear lobes named after you. (Now, now, I said "ear lobes", "ear lobes". Don't let your mind wander.) I'll even offer a reduced rate if you want to buy names for both lobes.

As you can imagine, the prices will vary, depending on the body part and the "famous-ossity-tivity-ness" of the Famous Person "involved."

Dolly already has Shock and Awe taken. 8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Famspear wrote:...

Dolly already has Shock and Awe taken. 8)
I think I saw Dolly Parton tell this joke on the Johnny Carson TV show many, many years ago. She said she was in the audience at a Mel Tillis country music concert one night. Between one of the songs, Mel noticed that Dolly was in the audience, and announced to the crowd, "Look everyone, up in the third row there..... pretty little Miss Dolly Parton!"

(round of applause....)

But then Mel came back with, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm mistaken. That's just two bald headed men sittin' together."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet