IRS upset because you haven't filed 2009 return yet

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

IRS upset because you haven't filed 2009 return yet

Post by Famspear »

It's starting up again. I believe we may have mentioned this problem a year or two ago. I'm starting to get the computer-generated notices from the Internal Revenue Service for my clients again, stating that the Service can't find a 2009 Form 1120 return. The IRS seems to "think" that the return should have been filed a long time ago. Of course, this is late on Sunday, February 28, 2010 as I write this, and a calendar year 2009 Form 1120 return isn't even due until March 15, 2010.

A year or two ago I was getting lots of these letters on various clients.

I'm also starting to see the IRS notices that state that the EIN on a particular entity is invalid (for returns already filed), and that the IRS is therefore assigning a "correct" EIN. We have seen lots of these in the past. As far as I know, with one class of exceptions, the IRS has been wrong every single time on this issue. The client is always able to go back and demonstrate that the EIN used on the returns is in fact the very EIN that the IRS originally issued to the client.

The exception (or possible exception) is the case involving EINs that begin with either "20-" or "26-". Somebody at the Service told me that these EINs are "temporary" numbers that are assigned by the Service, and that the client should have later received a notice from the IRS showing a different, permanent EIN. Does anyone know if this is correct?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Re: IRS upset because you haven't filed 2009 return yet

Post by LaVidaRoja »

If you are receiving these on multiple clients, it sounds as if it might be a systemic problem. You should (in your free time during filing season) contact the TAO to let them know that there is something wrong in the system and give them sufficient evidence that they can make an effort to track the problem.
Reason #7 the TAO system isn't as good as the IRS likes to think it is
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Investor

Post by Investor »

I've never heard of such a thing. I have, however, had it out with a couple of RO's on collection matters, who insisted my client have a 2009 Form 1040 filed before they'd work with us...and this was in the middle of February.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Someone in the insolvency unit suggested that this in in the case of clients who are currently in bankruptcy proceedings. There seems to be a "you have to act first" problem between the tax and the bankruptcy statutes. However, that would be a (hopefully) rare occurence with on-going clients
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.