Women and MLMs

"Buy 1 for yourself and get the chance to sell your friends and family 5 and get your downline started!" We examine the multi-level marketing industry, where only the people who come up with the ideas make any money, and everybody else is left unhappy, broke, and tired of reading scripts and selling overpriced vitamins and similarly worthless products. Includes Global Prosperity, Pinnacle Quest International, IRS Codebusters, Stratia, and other new Global Prosperity scams.

Moderator: wserra

Emet

Women and MLMs

Post by Emet »

Whether you’re a stay-at-home Mom, or have a job, many MLMs are geared exclusively or primarily for women. The bait is enticing: gals socialize a lot, so it’s easy to get started and earn some extra cash while having fun. But the hard truth is that it’s easy to become indoctrinated, believe the hype and get sucked in. What is the end result? You may find yourself deeper and deeper in debt, and risk damaging your relationships. After all, you can’t sell from an empty wagon, so you will be encouraged to purchase inventory (frontloading). Before you know it you will be attending Rah Rah meetings, purchasing sales aids, and yes, the chances are you may find yourself recruiting others, as the pressure may be unrelenting.

It’s hard to perform due diligence (MLMers love that phrase) online before you sign up, as MLM pitchmen litter the Internet with preemptive "scam—no it’s not a scam" blogs and articles. Google any company and add the word scam to your search, and you’ll see what I mean.

Whether it’s Mary Kay, Avon, Tupperware, candle or jewelry MLMs, they can all be summarized thusly:

Same circus, different clowns.
Same clowns, different circus.
Same dog, different fleas...well, you get the idea.

Here’s a parody article, "Need a home based-based business? Start your own MLM!"

http://www.happywomanmagazine.com/DIY/MLM.htm
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Women and MLMs

Post by Number Six »

For the MLM to be successful, it needs to offer something new, higher quality than anyone else is offering, have the appearance of credibility and incentives beyond newbies getting a few freebies. I wonder why the MLMs don't hire a Hollywood star or retired government official as a spokesperson, this might heighten their credibility?

Tangentially, the gold-buying parties, and fly-by-night operations at hotels seem to be still going strong. Few men have gold or other jewelry, people get snookered into bringing their infrequently worn jewelry and baubles down to see what they are worth. Not the way to sell gold, by any means. Get a price from a gold or coin dealer and then keep shopping around for top dollar until you find someone who offers over 90% of actual 24 kt. gold (melt) content.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Emet

Post by Emet »

Number Six wrote:For the MLM to be successful, it needs to offer something new, higher quality than anyone else is offering, have the appearance of credibility and incentives beyond newbies getting a few freebies. I wonder why the MLMs don't hire a Hollywood star or retired government official as a spokesperson, this might heighten their credibility?
I don't see how that would help. As Robert FitzPatrick states:
MLMs are all in the “business opportunity” business, not “pills, potions and lotions.” And all of them sell the same “opportunity”, which is the chance to sell the “opportunity” to others who sell the same opportunity, forever and ever. Amen.
http://www.falseprofits.com/files/ccd44 ... 50-18.html
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Two MLM's are worth noting, both which offer health/healing benefits greater than their competitors: Young Living Essential Oils and Klamath Lake Blue-Green Algae (I remember a neighbor peddling this product at astronomical prices).

I know several people who are fiercely dedicated to YLEO, an MLM company. "Platinum" distributers have hit the motherlode, getting huge kickbacks for their sales success. Interesting products and health theory, hope is a molecule, don't you know. If you can just get the right essential oils into your body and for external application, everything will change for you. Problem is, most people don't appreciate co-workers who wear the pungent oils, or have the odors exuded from their pores--Dr. Young says you can't overdose on the oils so the more the merrier.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Emet

Post by Emet »

Number Six wrote:Two MLM's are worth noting, both which offer health/healing benefits greater than their competitors: Young Living Essential Oils and Klamath Lake Blue-Green Algae (I remember a neighbor peddling this product at astronomical prices).
Gotta pay all the folks in the pyramid, don't you know. :)
Interesting products and health theory, hope is a molecule, don't you know. If you can just get the right essential oils into your body and for external application, everything will change for you.
WooWoo! :lol:
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Ah, yes, the essential oil del snake-o.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
heather

Post by heather »

I've witnessed MLMs damaging more friendships than any other cause. People don't like to be used, especially when their friends are using them for profit and then nagging them to do the same. It seems joining an MLM is the quickest way to get your friends to ignore your phone calls. Unfortunately, MLMs have infiltrated the culture to such an extent that I can't even go to a coffee without being harassed to by a Mary Kay lady.
Emet

Post by Emet »

heather wrote:I've witnessed MLMs damaging more friendships than any other cause.
<snip>
I can't even go to a coffee without being harassed to by a Mary Kay lady.
(my bolding)

Run for your lives!