2¢ Postage is yer right.

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

David Merrill

Re: 2¢ Postage is yer right.

Post by David Merrill »

Nikki wrote:David has never met a fact he couldn't either ignore or bury under word salad.

He is entitled to his opinion, as in "I think you are wrong."

However, his opinion is not the last word on the issue -- at least here where MRG isn't available to bail him out. Here, facts -- verifiable, provable facts -- count and David's opinion doesn't qualify.

That would go unsaid if true.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

DVP has a right to his own opinions, but not to his own facts.

The fact is that the USPS charges considerably more than 2¢ even for postcards. The laws of the 19th century that set the postal rates have all been replaced by new ones, which enabled the USPS to set its rates according to its current needs.

And if he puts only 2¢ or 3¢ on an envelope of legal significance, it may not be delivered at all, or it may be delivered later than normal. There are some cases on this matter, but very few because, frankly, most sensible people were not going to risk losing a case by cheaping out on the postage stamps.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

You missed the point about general delivery to general delivery. That is the 2 cent rate. It is very inconvenient compared to free delivery.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I have never had to deal with general delivery and I bet most other readers of this thread haven't either, so I don't know if it's extra cheap.

But courts demand that papers be sent to the court, at the court building, at its proper street address, and similarly sent to the opposing lawyers at their address, so trying to do this on the cheap is (1) contrary to court rules and therefore not likely to be forgiven and (2) brainlessly risky. Of course, DVP is talking about how he can summon up millions of dollars, so I wonder why he would do this to save a few coins.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

David is fully aware of the rules and laws of proper service.

That's why, since he now lacks the fixed address in his mother's basement, he is using a commercial process service company as his address for all court proceedings.

I'm positive he hasn't attempted to employ any of his $0.02 postage for any of his own documents.

Remember, David's theories are only used by his "suitors." Otherwise, he would experience their ill effects which he fully knows and isn't willing to suffer.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

This is what I was saying is wrong:
1. The 1863 act was repealed by an act of Congress in 1872. That act can be found at 17 Stat. 283. Regardless, all prior acts setting a postal rate were repealed when Congress granted the power to set postal rates to the USPS.
When a contractor - USPS - takes over a job for the prinicipal - Post Office - the laws that applied to the principal apply to the agent.

Regards,

David Merrill.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

David Merrill wrote:This is what I was saying is wrong:
1. The 1863 act was repealed by an act of Congress in 1872. That act can be found at 17 Stat. 283. Regardless, all prior acts setting a postal rate were repealed when Congress granted the power to set postal rates to the USPS.
When a contractor - USPS - takes over a job for the prinicipal - Post Office - the laws that applied to the principal apply to the agent.

Regards,

David Merrill.
The Post Office department was abolished at the same time the USPS was established. In this instance, the principle is not the post office or post office department. The principle is CONGRESS. Congress has delegated the authority of delivering mail and setting postal rates to the USPS. In doing so, the portions of prior laws where Congress set a postal rate, are therefore repealed or ineffective.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

The Operative wrote:
David Merrill wrote:This is what I was saying is wrong:

Regards,

David Merrill.
The Post Office department was abolished at the same time the USPS was established. In this instance, the principle is not the post office or post office department. The principle is CONGRESS. Congress has delegated the authority of delivering mail and setting postal rates to the USPS. In doing so, the portions of prior laws where Congress set a postal rate, are therefore repealed or ineffective.

If true I think that was only a war measure and believe I have seen that repealed too.

I took a look:

That was Proclamation #2972 by NIXON on 3/23/70 DECLARING A NATIONAL EMERGENCY. I see no reason - even if you are correct and that emergency was not lifted as indicated by:

http://Friends-n-Family-Research.info/F ... 94-412.jpg
http://Friends-n-Family-Research.info/F ... lation.jpg

There is no reason to presume that Congress would have repealed or nullified all its prior legislation regarding postal rates with the new USPS.

Regards,

David Merrill.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

David Merrill wrote: There is no reason to presume that Congress would have repealed or nullified all its prior legislation regarding postal rates with the new USPS.

"No reason". Gee, the 1863 act is not even in the Revised Statutes of 1872. The 1872 act was replaced by the time of the first issue of the United States Code in 1924. The current US Code has the entire Postal Service title (Title 39) adopted no earlier than 1972 (two years after the post office strike) and nowhere mentions the 1863 act.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

David Merrill wrote: If true I think that was only a war measure and believe I have seen that repealed too.

I took a look:

That was Proclamation #2972 by NIXON on 3/23/70 DECLARING A NATIONAL EMERGENCY. I see no reason - even if you are correct and that emergency was not lifted as indicated by:

http://Friends-n-Family-Research.info/F ... 94-412.jpg
http://Friends-n-Family-Research.info/F ... lation.jpg

There is no reason to presume that Congress would have repealed or nullified all its prior legislation regarding postal rates with the new USPS.

Regards,

David Merrill.
Wrong. The termination of existing declared emergencies only terminated powers granted to the executive department due to the declaration of a national emergency. The Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 was an act of Congress that abolished the Post Office Department and then established the independent USPS. If anything, the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 had already removed power from the executive branch by eliminating the Post Office Department as a cabinet level position.

As far as prior legislation concerning postal rates are concerned, let's see if you can follow this...

The Constitution grants Congress the power to establish post offices and to otherwise insure the delivery of mail. In the past, Congress, through the use of its postal powers, had enacted a rate for postage through legislation. Through the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, and subsequent legislation enacting Title 39, Congress has DELEGATED the power to set postal rates to the USPS. A new postage rate set by the USPS is effectively the same as Congress setting a new postage rate.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

My point is that. What you are saying. They have never raised the two cent rate. Only the three cent rate.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

David Merrill wrote:My point is that. What you are saying. They have never raised the two cent rate. Only the three cent rate.
I think I got it, your saying that it only costs 2 cents to mail a piece of mail inside a post office's service area? Earlier in the thread that's how the two cent rate was described. So either 1) you are taking the post office to mean USPS or 2) all your mail never leaves the city in which you live.

1. Of course is wrong, because they meant the actual office, not the system of offices.

2. Can't be right unless you either 1. Pay no Bills, or 2. Pay everything online.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Y'know, if DVP is right, then I ought to get confirmation easily from my local postmaster. Ditto for your local postmaster.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

fortinbras wrote:Y'know, if DVP is right, then I ought to get confirmation easily from my local postmaster. Ditto for your local postmaster.
We all know they are part of the machine to keep us paying 42 extra cents they won't tell us anything. :shock: :twisted:
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

bmielke wrote:
David Merrill wrote:My point is that. What you are saying. They have never raised the two cent rate. Only the three cent rate.
I think I got it, your saying that it only costs 2 cents to mail a piece of mail inside a post office's service area? Earlier in the thread that's how the two cent rate was described. So either 1) you are taking the post office to mean USPS or 2) all your mail never leaves the city in which you live.

1. Of course is wrong, because they meant the actual office, not the system of offices.

2. Can't be right unless you either 1. Pay no Bills, or 2. Pay everything online.
At the time I was considering it general delivery to general delivery. Many post offices have a general delivery clerk but if not the postmaster doubles as the general delivery clerk. I had to take the 2 cent letter to the Dutch door window and hand it to the general delivery clerk and Randy Lee had to go to his post office and get it from his general delivery clerk, who was the postmaster there in California.

When the general delivery clerk and I were going back inside the building I said we should go speak to the postmaster about why the letter threatened him. He insisted we speak to a postal inspector. I figured - good enough - the postal inspector knows about the 2 cent rate. I did not want to get him fired for coming after me like that so I let him do that himself.

Regards,

David Merrill.