President Tim Turner sentenced

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

President Tim Turner sentenced

Post by Demosthenes »

SELF-PROCLAIMED LEADER OF SOVEREIGN CITIZEN GROUP SENTENCED TO FEDERAL PRISON FOR PROMOTING TAX FRAUD SCHEME

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the FBI announced today that James Timothy Turner, also known as Tim Turner, was sentenced to serve 18 years in federal prison for conspiracy to defraud the United States, attempting to pay taxes with fictitious financial instruments, attempting to obstruct and impede the IRS, failing to file a 2009 federal income tax return and falsely testifying under oath in a bankruptcy proceeding.

In March 2013, following a five-day jury trial, Turner was convicted on 10 counts in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama. Based on the evidence introduced at trial and in court filings, Turner, the self-proclaimed “president” of the sovereign citizen group Republic for the united States of America (RuSA), traveled the country in 2008 and 2009 conducting seminars teaching attendees how to defraud the IRS by preparing and submitting fictitious bonds to the U.S. government in payment of federal taxes, mortgages, and other debt. The evidence at trial revealed the bonds are fictitious and worthless but witnesses testified that Turner used special paper, financial terminology and elaborate borders in an effort to make them look authentic and more likely to succeed in defrauding the recipient. Turner was convicted of sending a $300 million fictitious bond in his own name and of aiding and abetting others in sending fifteen other fictitious bonds to the Treasury Department to pay taxes and other debts.

The evidence at trial also established that Turner taught people how to file retaliatory liens against government officials who interfered with the processing of fictitious bonds. Turner filed a purported $17.6 billion maritime lien in Montgomery County, Ala., Probate Court against another individual. This investigation began after Turner and three other self-proclaimed “Guardian Elders” sent demands to all 50 governors in the United States in March 2010 ordering each governor to resign within three days to be replaced by a “sovereign” leader or be “removed.” The FBI immediately began investigating Turner and IRS- Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) joined the investigation soon thereafter.

“This lengthy prison sentence shows that tax defiers like Turner who use bogus tax schemes and file retaliatory liens against government officials will be punished,” said Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Tax Division Kathryn Keneally. “The Justice Department will continue to work with law enforcement to investigate and prosecute those who attempt to defraud the government.”

“This sentence should send a message that if you attempt to use retaliatory tax liens and fraudulent tax schemes as weapons against the United States and its citizens you will be punished,” stated acting U.S. Attorney Sandra J. Stewart for the Middle District of Alabama. “We cannot and will not tolerate those who violate the law for financial gain. I would like to thank the law enforcement officers who worked vigilantly on this case to bring this criminal to justice.”

“Turner influenced others with his false ideology by aggressively promoting obstruction of the IRS,” stated Richard Weber, Chief, IRS-Criminal Investigation. “In truth, Turner’s own defiance of IRS and his attempts to lead others through the same labyrinth of lies and distortions led to his downfall as shown by the significant sentence he must now serve. Today’s sentence should also send a strong message to those who may follow in Turner’s footsteps and attempt to defy their tax obligations. The legality of our income tax laws has been challenged time and time again and the courts have consistently upheld them.”

“The FBI is committed to vigorously investigate individuals and groups who steal from the federal government for financial gain through schemes deigned to avoid payment on loans, taxes and other obligations owed the federal government,” stated Stephen Richardson, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI, Mobile Division.

In addition to prison time, Turner was ordered to pay $26,021 in restitution to the IRS and to serve a five year term of supervised release upon his release from prison.

This case was investigated by special agents of the FBI and IRS-CI, was prosecuted by Tax Division Trial Attorney Justin Gelfand and Middle District of Alabama Assistant U.S. Attorney Gray Borden.
Demo.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: President Tim Turner sentenced

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I wonder if President Turner will be greeted with a chorus of "Hail To The Chief", sung by his fellow inmates, when he arrives at the Gray House....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

From a Canadian perspective that seems a long sentence for his offenses given that they were all non-violent. However this very timely article puts American prison sentences in perspective.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/0 ... tence.html

I particularly like the comment:

That’s another point of these long sentences: to send a strong message that the prisoners in question should never, ever, ever be set free. In 1993 a Tulsa, Okla. jury sentenced two rapists to a cumulative 6,475 years in prison for kidnapping, raping, and robbing an elderly woman. The conviction was eventually reversed, the men were retried, and their sentences were quintupled: Darron Bennalford Anderson got 11,250 years in prison, while his associate, Allan Wayne McLaurin, got 21,250 years. (Three years later, an appeals court reduced Anderson’s sentence by 500 years.)

Whew! Dodged that bullet! Knocking 500 years off brings me down to, uh, just 10,750 years.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Chados
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Post by Chados »

"Good night, and good luck."
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Ok, now they can compare him to Aung San Suu Kyi.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

U.S. Department of Justice wrote:.....This investigation began after Turner and three other self-proclaimed “Guardian Elders” sent demands to all 50 governors in the United States in March 2010 ordering each governor to resign within three days to be replaced by a “sovereign” leader or be “removed.” The FBI immediately began investigating Turner and IRS- Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) joined the investigation soon thereafter....
Memo: To "Sovereign Citizens" everywhere.

The moral (or, at least, one of the morals) of the story:

When you are engaged in criminal activities, it probably is not a good idea for you to paint a target on your big, stupid, lazy, fat "Junior Samples" *ss by demanding that the governors of all 50 states resign within three days to be replaced by a "sovereign" leader or be removed. Federal law enforcement officials tend to notice sh*t like that.

Just a thought.

:brickwall:

Edited once for grammar - Famspear
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LightinDarkness
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LightinDarkness »

I will never forget how I ended up stumbling upon "President" Turner's stupidity. I was watching the news when they did a 1 minute report on a group of crazies sending letters threatening all 50 state governors, and I thought to myself "wow, this is a whole new brand of crazy!" I found the "Guardians of the Free Republic" (what is now RuSA) via google and listened to one of their conference calls that night mid-session.

Tim was soaking up the glory like you wouldn't believe. Telling everyone any day now they would all be governors of the United States and Timmy boy would be President. Taking calls from dozens of people asking for favors. I am not kidding, it was that bad. I will never forget one 85 year old women who called (she stated her age) and begged him to pardon her son who was arrested for weed possession. "President" Tim took down her son's name and state and assured her it would be done within the week. Oh, and would the nice old lady mind contributing to Timmy's transition fund - you see, Timmy needed donations to prepare for his transition to President, but the funding wouldn't be coming for a few weeks (and was still a few weeks away 3 years later as of last year). The women responded she didn't have much but her social security but would surely donate a few hundred dollars.

That was the moment when I knew this guy wasn't nuts, but someone who actively preyed on the hopes of the most gullible people. It was just so fundamentally wrong. Even if someone was stupid enough to believe in Timmy's lies, that doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of. 18 years isn't enough, but its something. Now I hope the feds target Kelby Smith and his scam next.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

This is an outrage! Turner didn't even get a trial at a Denny's? Even in the most backward parts of this country, people recognize it's a person's constitutional right to have a Grand Slam breakfast present in court. Instead the government got away with slamming him away for 18 years.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

As I said, a cheap conman, first, last, and always. Unless they strongly supervise his mail and email contacts he will be right back at it as soon as he is inside, or further inside as the case may be, and you can bet on him trying to run some scam or other from inside the prison.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Likely we can bet on one more prisoner claiming EITC, ctc, scam/fraud
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
notorial dissent

Maybe some version of the 1099 OID scam, since Jimmy Tim always seems to be a bit slow and behind the curve, and he is so fond of fancy papers, this would be a perfect new gambit for him, particularly since the IRS has finally gotten wise to it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Sent out Wednesday by email to all RuSA adherents:

The Republic for the United States of America
from the Desk of the Acting President

James Buchanan Geiger
Acting President

July 31, 2013

Re: President James Timothy Turner - Sentencing

Secured ID# PR364423932RUSA

For Immediate Distribution

Over the past three years the Republic has endured many obstacles. Much the same as our founding fathers faced some 230 years ago. In this regard the saga of the struggle for true freedom and liberty for all Americans rest within our great Republic. We remain inspired by the stalwart perseverance of our forefather's timeless endeavor, who met these obstacles head on without wavering. So let us too be ever faithful to conquer the challenges set before us with no less commitment and zeal as those who set the standard for us.

In these three years we have overcome and endured many things with even less support and resources at times than our forefathers. However because divine inspiration and providence of the Almighty has been on this Republic, we have accomplished much. For those who remain faithful in the cause to restore its rightful place among the governments of this world; it is a calling of duty and love for all humanity. We have by the immutable hand of our sovereign Lord peacefully restored this Republic and given all Americans a reason to hope for a future where justice is defined by its equal application to all instead of one's ability to pay. God is establishing once and for all this Republic as that shining city on the hill despite all of the efforts to the contrary.

President James Timothy Turner has told us since we embarked on this journey that this cause to restore God's Republic is not about one man; it is much larger than any one person. From the inception, the enemy of all creation has worked against those who have given of themselves to complete this sacred calling. He, the enemy has tried to discourage, disrupt and stop the work of liberty our Heavenly Father has placed in our hands. Our President, James Timothy Turner, along with the faithful, has stood and holds fast with undying devotion to this noble cause.

Once again we are being asked to stand firm and hold the wall, because one of our own has been unjustly harmed. We must stand on what God says and not give way to fear and unbelief. I ask that all who love this cause to continue to stand peacefully in righteous indignation and to keep our hearts and hands clean.

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013, President James Timothy Turner was sentenced by the district court of Alabama to a maximum 260 months (21+ years in prison, followed by 5 years of probation). He was further ordered to pay $26,200 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service. This is far less then the 160 years that was sought by the prosecution. Please continue to pray that the will of God be purposed in this matter and stand as we have been asked to do. This is not a battle that will be won with flesh and blood, but with fervent effectual prayer. We have no reason to fear or retaliate against anyone, this is not what our President would want nor do we condone.

Keep President Turner and his family in your prayers as I and my family will be doing. Place all of this in the Lords very capable hands and see His great deliverance.

God bless you all, God bless President Turner and God bless the Republic for the United States of America.

Respectfully and with a humble heart,

James Buchanan Geiger
Acting President
Republic for the United States of America

Donations for President Turner's expenses can be sent to:
Gods Will Be Done Ministry
3040 SE Persons Ct.
Portland, Oregon [97267]

Letters of encouragement can be sent to:
James Timothy Turner
#99120 MCDF
PO Box 4599
Montgomery, Alabama 36103
Last edited by fortinbras on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Sorry fortinbras, I had to stop reading at:
Much the same as our founding fathers faced some 230 years ago.
If anyone could possibly think that the BS they spew could have any relation to the hardships our ancestors went through to found this Nation, they just don't deserve my time.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent

I will have to admit that my nausea meter pretty well pegged out at that as well. The truly sad, not quite the word I'm looking for, part is that some or all of them believe that. Pathetic doesn't even come close to describing them.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013, President James Timothy Turner was sentenced by the district court of Alabama to a maximum 260 months (21+ years in prison, followed by 5 years of probation). He was further ordered to pay $26,200 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service. This is far less then the 160 years that was sought by the prosecution.
Victory!
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Turner was born in 1957, so he's now 56 years old. If he serves the full sentence plus the five years probation, he should be fairly harmless for the rest of his life.

I am uncertain if the RuSA will shake him off and tend to forget him, the way the Republic of Texas people dumped McLaren once he went to prison, or if they're going to try to spring him, maybe by sending official-sounding papers to the real President or to the warden, and maybe by something more dynamic.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

fortinbras wrote:.....I am uncertain if the RuSA will shake him off and tend to forget him, the way the Republic of Texas people dumped McLaren once he went to prison......
Ah, Richard Lance McLaren.

Sort of forgot about that bozo. He'll be 60 years old on August 18.

He is inmate # 00802782 in his current residence: the William P. Clements Unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice near Amarillo. McLaren is scheduled to stay in the luxurious facilities of "Club Tex" until June 15, 2041, unless he can figure out a way to get out earlier on parole.

Yeehah!

EDIT: I think McLaren has been in prison for about 14 or 15 years already. Time flies when you're having fun.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Famspear wrote:
fortinbras wrote:.....I am uncertain if the RuSA will shake him off and tend to forget him, the way the Republic of Texas people dumped McLaren once he went to prison......
Ah, Richard Lance McLaren.

Sort of forgot about that bozo. He'll be 60 years old on August 18.

He is inmate # 00802782 in his current residence: the William P. Clements Unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice near Amarillo. McLaren is scheduled to stay in the luxurious facilities of "Club Tex" until June 15, 2041, unless he can figure out a way to get out earlier on parole.

Yeehah!

EDIT: I think McLaren has been in prison for about 14 or 15 years already. Time flies when you're having fun.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. From a news report after McLaren surrendered:

More than a few neighbors expressed disappointment that Mr. McLaren, who has long been widely detested here for his legal confrontations with residents, was not killed.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

fortinbras wrote:Turner was born in 1957, so he's now 56 years old. If he serves the full sentence plus the five years probation, he should be fairly harmless for the rest of his life.
He wanted the White House, but he got the Big House. He wanted the Presidential Seal, but he got the "Presidential Cell."
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
He wanted the White House, but he got the Big House. He wanted the Presidential Seal, but he got the "Presidential Cell."
Ler's not forget The Square Office.
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.