501(c)

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

501(c)

Post by JamesVincent »

My mother and I recently started doing work for a 501(c)(3) animal shelter. We are actually 2 of the very few paid employees of the shelter. My question is this. They are using two older cargo vans to transport and deliver animals to other shelters and customers, one of which, the bigger one, is constantly in the shop. If I go to a Dodge dealership and try to get a Sprinter donated to the shelter, what is the shelter liable for, as far as taxes on that donation? I want to try to help them out, especially getting something with a higher capacity and better mileage, but I don't want to put a burden on them at the same time. I know Kentucky is different as far it's own taxes but what about Federal? I'm going to be the one doing the bulk of the transports so it would be nice to have something reliable to drive on 800 mile trips.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Re: 501(c)

Post by Arthur Rubin »

At first glance, the shelter has some added paperwork, and must issue a statement to the dealer saying the vehicle will be used in support of the shelter's purpose. (That way, the dealer gets a full tax deduction for the value of the vehicle.) If the vehicle will be used for other than the support of the shelter's purpose, or maintenance, there will be unrelated business income to deal with, or, if for your (or other employees') personal use, those employees would have imputed income.

But the last sentence applies to existing vehicles, as well.

I'll research this further and get back to you tomorrow, if no one else jumps in. I have to take my wife to a doctor's appointment.
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: 501(c)

Post by JamesVincent »

The vehicles are used only for business of the shelter, either dog transports or picking up food or donations. We have to keep a log of every run and its purpose since they are past their point of probation and can be audited.

On a side note, hey Gregg, was in your neck of the woods yesterday. Apparently one of their biggest supporters is in Bowling Green, Oh and I spent all day going from Morehead, Ky to Bowling Green and back. Got to see a lot of Ohio off of 75, found several things I want to take the kids to when I get time.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"