OKC Bomber Terry Nichols on hunger strike

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

OKC Bomber Terry Nichols on hunger strike

Post by fortinbras »

I'm putting this in the "Good Life" forum because somehow that seems appropriate.

From THE OKLAHOMAN, Feb. 19, 2010:

1995 Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols declares fast
Prison foods ‘defile’ his body, he says

by NOLAN CLAY The Oklahoman

Terry Nichols claims he has begun a hunger strike to protest unhealthy prison meals.

"Mr. Nichols is prepared to die if necessary because he is done allowing his body to be defiled by those refined ... (and) dead foods,” he wrote in a notice filed in his federal case over his prison food.

Nichols, 54, is at the maximum security federal prison in Florence, Colo., for the deadly 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

He sued the Federal Bureau of Prisons in March, demanding 100 percent whole-grain foods, more fresh raw vegetables and fresh fruit, a wheat bran supplement and digestive bacteria and enzymes.

Nichols contends he needs a better diet for medical and religious reasons. He contends that eating refined foods defiles God’s holy temple, the human body.

He wrote in his lawsuit he has been dealing with chronic constipation, bleeding and hemorrhoids for more than 30 years. The lawsuit is pending.

In his five-page notice filed Thursday, Nichols wrote he began his hunger strike Feb. 5.

He wrote he acted because he is fed up with the "silly games” prison officials have been playing with his meals in retaliation for his lawsuit.

He predicted in his notice that he will be force-fed for refusing meals. "Mr. Nichols is already very weak and lost several pounds,” he wrote.

Nichols has been on a hunger strike before, in 2001 while held at the Oklahoma County jail.
Words cannot adequately express my concern that this killer of at least 168 Americans might not live out his three-score-and-ten on the taxpayer's tab. For reference purposes, Bobby Sands, the Irish bomber, took 66 days to starve himself to death in prison; the force-feeding of Lady Constance Lyttons when she was jailed (under an assumed name) in 1911 for demonstrating for women's sufferage was so brutal that she suffered a crippling stroke.
Nikki

Re: OKC Bomber Terry Nichols on hunger strike

Post by Nikki »

Nichols wrote:He sued the Federal Bureau of Prisons in March, demanding 100 percent whole-grain foods, more fresh raw vegetables and fresh fruit, a wheat bran supplement and digestive bacteria and enzymes. (1)

Nichols contends he needs a better diet for medical and religious reasons. He contends that eating refined foods defiles God’s holy temple, the human body. (2)
(1) - The following should satisfy all his demands: An unvarying diet of boiled (unseasoned) brown rice; raw cabbage, okra, and turnip; chokecherry, crab apples, and juniper berries; unprocessed wheat bran fresh from the threshing room floor; and bacteria and enzymes in their natural state on moldy fruit.

(2) And blowing up a building full of people wasn't defiling human bodies?

Let him starve himself to death. BFD. It will save the taxpayers a few dollars.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:He has done this before and I think there was a thread about it somewhere in this forum. The general consensus was, let's help him by placing him in solitary and then bricking up the door.
So much of what Nichols deserves would violate the cruel-and-unusual rules. I wish there was some sort of "minimum privileges" sentence -- i.e., you get only those privileges required under those rules, and none other.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I'm also reminded of the convicts we hear of, from time to time, who file suit claiming that they are members of, say, the Church of the Robust Sustenance, and that their sacramental meals involve something like porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes, green beans, and cold beer.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

He sued the Federal Bureau of Prisons in March, demanding 100 percent whole-grain foods, more fresh raw vegetables and fresh fruit, a wheat bran supplement and digestive bacteria and enzymes.
Wait, isn't this guy supposed to be the epitome of right wingers? That doesn't look like the typical right of center diet.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

He wrote in his lawsuit he has been dealing with chronic constipation ... for more than 30 years.
Perhaps his internal sewage backup has finally risen high enough to impact what few functional neurons he had in the first place.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

We start a poll on how long this lasts? My guess is a week.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Another "So What?" moment brought to you by Terry Nichols.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

FLORENCE - Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols says his hunger strike to demand a more fiber-rich diet in prison has been somewhat successful.

Nichols says in a letter that the federal Supermax prison in Florence, Colo., addressed his medical and religious needs but "much more still needs to be done." He didn't provide specifics. A message left for prison officials wasn't returned Saturday. His protest began Feb. 5.

The Oklahoman newspaper reports Nichols wrote the March 4 letter to a local woman whose two grandsons were among 168 people killed in the 1995 federal building bombing. They've exchanged letters since his 2004 trial.

Nichols has filed a lawsuit that argues the lack of available whole grains and fresh produce harms his health and violates his religious beliefs, causing him to "sin against God."
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-nichols-d ... 5249.story
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Damn, He lasted longer then I thought, and he didn't die.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"Nichols has filed a lawsuit that argues the lack of available whole grains and fresh produce harms his health and violates his religious beliefs, causing him to 'sin against God.'"

Well, it seems to me that he's already done much more than his share of "sin(ning) against God" already....
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Nikki wrote: (1) - The following should satisfy all his demands: An unvarying diet of boiled (unseasoned) brown rice; raw cabbage, okra, and turnip; chokecherry, crab apples, and juniper berries; unprocessed wheat bran fresh from the threshing room floor; and bacteria and enzymes in their natural state on moldy fruit.

(2) And blowing up a building full of people wasn't defiling human bodies?

Let him starve himself to death. BFD. It will save the taxpayers a few dollars.
You're too kind. I'll gladly send him bag loads of authentic piss-soaked straw from the barn. Since he complains of constipation he's probably wormy. I'll toss in an old tube of ivomec horse wormer. If it can clear out a 1500 lb. horse, it should worse on his sorry ass.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The news reports (which all seem the same, so maybe they all come from an AP news report) that Terry Nichols says that his hunger strike "has helped somewhat", rather pointedly avoid saying whether or not he is continuing his hunger strike.

It's hard to find anyone who sympathizes with Nichols. The healthy diet he wants - and it is definitely healthier than the average American's eating habits - costs considerably more than the usual regimen of junk food, not to mention the usual prison fare, and is beyond the financial reach of many law-abiding citizens.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

fortinbras wrote:The news reports (which all seem the same, so maybe they all come from an AP news report) that Terry Nichols says that his hunger strike "has helped somewhat", rather pointedly avoid saying whether or not he is continuing his hunger strike.

It's hard to find anyone who sympathizes with Nichols. The healthy diet he wants - and it is definitely healthier than the average American's eating habits - costs considerably more than the usual regimen of junk food, not to mention the usual prison fare, and is beyond the financial reach of many law-abiding citizens.
Y'know, even the old Mobsters around here used to say, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime". Nichols should have thought of this stuff before he and his fellow moron built that bomb.
iLOVEcrane

Post by iLOVEcrane »

If he doesn't want to eat, let him starve. His choice
Jozef Bleaux

Post by Jozef Bleaux »

CaptainKickback wrote:He has done this before and I think there was a thread about it somewhere in this forum. The general consensus was, let's help him by placing him in solitary and then bricking up the door.
Florence consists of two facilities. The max security section TN is in is actually the Supermax facility, which was formerly part of the Marion, IN complex.

To get sent there you must be incredibly evil, and/or incredibly violent, and/or incredibly stupid. I heard about one fellow, already one of Uncle's guests on Fed drug charges who, while on the phone there verbally threatened a hit on the judge that sent him there. Guess he forgot his calls were monitored. BINGO, immediate trial, conviction, additional sentencing, and specific transfer to Marion at the time. His dumb ass is probably also at Florence, too.

I guess Terry and the fool are "enjoying" the one hour of outdoor excerise a day they get. The other 23 are spent in solitary confinement.

Hey Mr. Mephistopheles, how about adding a nice emetic to the dewormer? Get him going at both ends.
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

fortinbras wrote:The news reports (which all seem the same, so maybe they all come from an AP news report) that Terry Nichols says that his hunger strike "has helped somewhat", rather pointedly avoid saying whether or not he is continuing his hunger strike.

Had someone recently tell me proudly that she could now get "free" organic fruits and vegetables, dairy products etc. using her food stamps and WIC vouchers here in Texas for herself and her 4 kids. I guess if the government wants to give it away to welfare recipients it stands to reason that those in prison should get the same "benefits" :roll: :roll:

This healthy and more expensive food is only out of the reach of those who actually have to pay for it.
Melted Rabbit

Post by Melted Rabbit »

gottago wrote:Had someone recently tell me proudly that she could now get "free" organic fruits and vegetables, dairy products etc. using her food stamps and WIC vouchers here in Texas for herself and her 4 kids. I guess if the government wants to give it away to welfare recipients it stands to reason that those in prison should get the same "benefits" :roll: :roll:
There are some individuals (not me) with special dietary needs for whom nonstandard foods are the only thing they can eat for various legitimate reasons. Also, organically grown foods are no more healthy, have lower crop yields, and are not any more environmentally friendly and can in some cases be worse and are really just a waste of money. However, I'd rather not let Congressional members with their own ideas on what is reasonable decide that something like junk food, foods that can also be necessary for special diets, or some other disliked food should not be bought with EBT.

It sounds like Nichols doesn't want to follow his doctor's advice with respect to medications and diets that might help his condition. Instead, it seems he would rather use unscientific naturopathy with no evidence it actually does anything. I hope he like being fed through a trach tube after this.

In any case, individuals with EBT(food stamps) have a fixed monthly amount for food purchases, which can be hard enough as it is to make last a month. The additional costs of organic foods will add up quickly, if the costs are significant enough.
This healthy and more expensive food is only out of the reach of those who actually have to pay for it.
Yes, and those with special dietary requirements can't afford to feed themselves on just EBT anyway.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Melted Rabbit wrote:I hope he like being fed through a trach tube after this.
I think the courts are likely to say that being fed through a trach tube would be cruel and unusual, even as a death sentence (which it would be, in short order).

Feeding tubes go down the esophagus. Use of a trach tube follows a tracheostomy.

"If all else fails, attach IV to wall suction."
- Code protocol, Transylvania General Hospital.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I see Nichol's hunger strike as being merely a method for him to show that he is resisting authority and still has some control over his life. 23 hours of solitary confinement a day pretty much proves to one's self that they have nothing to lose in attempting to strike back and get even, even if it is at their peril.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff